Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
I just got the Scotchcals last week and they look good. It is visible at close, especially at the edge, but not as ugly as the black bra or even the front deflector IMO. Plus, ft deflector does nothing to protect the bumper, lights, etc. It's more noticeable on black and white cars (mine is granite green).

If you are planning to get one installed, it will be MUCH CHEAPER to bypass the dealer and find a local dealer who does the installation. I was originally planning to puchase a full kit from either Stongard or X-pel, but I found an installer locally who orders the kit from X-pel and installs them. The whole thing cost me $650 with installation, which is comparable to the cost of the full kit without the installation from Stongard. Just go to X-pel site and search for installers in your area. BTW, if you have lower trim, X-pel does NOT sell a full kit that fits the lower trim. My installer used the kit for bumper w/o the lower trim and made a custom fit over my lower trim.

If you do a lot of skiing or drive in conditions with pebbles and rocks, it will definitely prevent most of rock chips that you'll have in the next 5-7 years. My kit was guranteed for 5 years by the installer, but I'm told they last longer than 7 years. By then, I'll probably not care about rock chips and just remove the film (which is very easy to do). Also, because the film is permeant to UV, the color underneath the film looks the same as the paint everywhere else, unlike the black bra option. By far, it's the most expensive way to protect your vehicle, but it's definitely the best. Bottom line is how bad do you want to protect your MDX and how long you want to keep your car clean. I thought it was worth it.

· Registered
170 Posts
Denver is one of the city with the highest demand for clearbras (a lot of ski freaks like me), and that's why your installer gets them so cheap. Actually, I need some for another car that I have. Mcnevin, do you know if your installer ships them out of state? Thanks.

· Registered
170 Posts
mcnevin,

thaks for the info. The thought of installing one myself did cross my mind, but I decided to have a professional do it all for $650 (full kit with headlight and fog light protection kit). Considering that there's only one installer in the Portland area, it was a good deal. He did a great job, but there are couple of places where the edges are folding up a little around a curvature. Doesn't bother me that much though.

Also, I assuming that your local installer gets special deals from clearmask, correct? My installer gets his stuff from Xpel.com. I briefly saw a list of my installer's cost from xpel, and the markup that xpel is charging on their website is ridiculous. I may give a call to clearmask, thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.