Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody other than JayPogi work for SBC?

I don't understand a predefined 4 day strike or how it will influence bargaining.
What is planned next assuming negotiations do not improve?

·
Registered
576 Posts
It's kinda like the new movie "A Day Without Mexicans". It's just meant to give management a taste of what life will be like without line workers.

Think they will be treated like Reagan did the air traffic controllers when he fired all of them? Maybe, but not yet. However, so many of my customer service calls are now answered by someone in India that this is a real possibility in the future.

I am so tired of having to handle a problem with someone who can only speak the language but knows NOTHING about the culture. My current policy is to cancel my account whenever I get unsatisfactory service from companies that have moved their customer service business off-shore.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just recently switched from SBC to ATT because of their horrible customer service and price changes.

·
Registered
684 Posts
XStatic said:

I don't understand a predefined 4 day strike or how it will influence bargaining.
Cause they don't want to end up like the supermarket strike in CA...nobody wins at the end.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read that if they aren't back on Monday the current company proposal will be thrown out and they will have to start from scratch.

It sounds like the fighting gloves have been put on...

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Does this strike affect their Yahoo DSL service? Mine has been down for two days. Called them yesterday (Saturday), they tried over the phone to guide me through a fix. Didn't work. Said they would send a Tech. over within 24 hours. They called again this morning, said they would be here this afternoon to fix my problem. Well, I came back from Church and Viola!, I'm back online, but no Tech showed up. Hmm. :hmmm:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
greatscot said:
Does this strike affect their Yahoo DSL service? Mine has been down for two days. Called them yesterday (Saturday), they tried over the phone to guide me through a fix. Didn't work. Said they would send a Tech. over within 24 hours. They called again this morning, said they would be here this afternoon to fix my problem. Well, I came back from Church and Viola!, I'm back online, but no Tech showed up. Hmm. :hmmm:
Well, my friend, have I story for you:

Keep an eye on the modem. The Speedstreams are generally junk. Sometimes you can get online by disconnecting them and rebooting the whole works.
I had SBC service through an independent ISP in Fresno. They went out of business, and there is still a lien on my line, so I can not sign up with SBC. I have a 4 year old refurbished Westell Wirespeed modem I used in San Jose. I loaned it to someone here with a problem similar to yours, but it would happen a few times a week. So far he has been up for 2 weeks without a problem.
If I get it back you are more than welcome to try it if you have more problems. Jeez...I ought to rent out the darn thing.
As for me, instead of going through SBC management to straighten out this issue they have with this defunct ISP I signed up with
Comcast and have been more than pleased. At least while I keep getting the low price for the first 3 months. And it's month to month so I can cancel it anytime. What craziness!!!
Good thing I signed up with T Mobile for a pay as you go internet account wireless I can use at Starbucks, etc. Great for the unexpected outages.
Good luck, let me know if you continue to have problems. Check out broadbandreports.com forums for similar experiences with SBC and Speedstream modems.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
DaleB said:
Well, my friend, have I story for you:
Keep an eye on the modem. The Speedstreams are generally junk. Sometimes you can get online by disconnecting them and rebooting the whole works.
I had SBC service through an independent ISP in Fresno. They went out of business, and there is still a lien on my line, so I can not sign up with SBC. I have a 4 year old refurbished Westell Wirespeed modem I used in San Jose. I loaned it to someone here with a problem similar to yours, but it would happen a few times a week. So far he has been up for 2 weeks without a problem.
If I get it back you are more than welcome to try it if you have more problems. Jeez...I ought to rent out the darn thing.
As for me, instead of going through SBC management to straighten out this issue they have with this defunct ISP I signed up with
Comcast and have been more than pleased. At least while I keep getting the low price for the first 3 months. And it's month to month so I can cancel it anytime. What craziness!!!
Good thing I signed up with T Mobile for a pay as you go internet account wireless I can use at Starbucks, etc. Great for the unexpected outages.
Good luck, let me know if you continue to have problems. Check out broadbandreports.com forums for similar experiences with SBC and Speedstream modems.
Thanks for the info DaleB,
Yup, I have the Speedstream 5100, thing even looks cheap.
I had the Comcast cable modem you're on now and it served me well for a while. However, as more people in the area joined on, it was starting to get slower, and eventually the cost was too much, especially since I didn't have their CATV service. I'm way hooked on the Dish w/DVR to give it up. This is the first real problem I've had with SBC, but if it repeats itself I may take you up on that modem, or just buy my own. Will check out the forums you suggest.
BTW, how you liking this "spring" weather? :2:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
greatscot said:

BTW, how you liking this "spring" weather? :2:
The weather is unbelievable! But I wish we had a couple of good storms roll in...that's not likely now. But the strawberry crop is awesome!

BTW, I had the luck to be the only HSI cable connection among a half dozen houses on my block. We just about all have dishes for TV but most use SBC DSL. So right now I am running about max download on cable.

·
Registered
343 Posts
XStatic said:

I don't understand it either. It actually favors the company, you know they don't have to give us (100,000 employees) 4 day checks. So thus saving around 30 to 40 million dollars. When the union strikes for more than 1 or 2 weeks that's when they loose money!! Who needs to strike on a weekend? 2 or 3 managers can handle that! We have our own conspiracy theories.....but youy guys don't wanna hear that. Anyway nice to be back here. I'll be home for the next few days.:D :D :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Re: Re: SBC Strike

mdx99 said:

Cause they don't want to end up like the supermarket strike in CA...nobody wins at the end.

I don't think its gonna end up that way tho. (I hope) SBC is a big company..penalties from the FCC is outragious. They have to back down, like it or not! hahaha!! The worst case scenario is we get to strike for about 2 or 3 months then WE back down:( sigh... and get back to work!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
XStatic said:
I read that if they aren't back on Monday the current company proposal will be thrown out and they will have to start from scratch.

It sounds like the fighting gloves have been put on...
We will be back on tuesday!! God I love this 4 day vacation...ahh what a rest. wooooohooo...my wife needs to work hard!! Bwahahaha!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
greatscot said:

Most of the technical support are outsourced!! I have Yahoo DSL and I was routed in the Philippines!! One of the many cries of the union!!

Pretty soon the President of the United States will be outsourced soon!! "Ladies and gentlemen live via satellite from Bombay, India the President of the United States!!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Re: SBC Strike

JayPogi said:
We have our own conspiracy theories.....but youy guys don't wanna hear that.
Yes I do!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
JayPogi said:
Most of the technical support are outsourced!! I have Yahoo DSL and I was routed in the Philippines!! One of the many cries of the union!!

Pretty soon the President of the United States will be outsourced soon!! "Ladies and gentlemen live via satellite from Bombay, India the President of the United States!!
Hilarious, the customer service guy was from India, talk about outsourcing, now let me see, where did I leave my Heinz ketchup . . .

·
Registered
22 Posts
"Think they will be treated like Reagan did the air traffic controllers when he fired all of them?"

I certainly hope so!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
O.K. Today I'm interviewing this guy who wants to leave SBC. I ask why he wants to leave.
He says "I don't like their ethics."
I say, "what does that mean, please explain."
He says " They tell us to lie to customers, for example, when the poor frustrated customer says they want to talk to a Supervisor, the Supervisor tells them to tell the customer there are no supervisors available."
I say "is that right?'
He says "you better believe it, That's not all, they have us tell the customer all sorts of things."
I say "Well, how SBC runs their business is beyond the scope of this interview, so lets move on . . ."
Makes you wonder about Customer Service these days.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess the strike worked:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/business/articles/0526sbc26.html

But after a four-day, 13-state strike, SBC and the Communications Workers of America settled Tuesday on a tentative contract far more generous than the company previously said it could afford.

The five-year agreement increases wages and pensions, guarantees work for more than 100,000 union employees and could reduce the outsourcing of jobs. A ratification vote by CWA members is expected in June.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
greatscot said:
O.K. Today I'm interviewing this guy who wants to leave SBC. I ask why he wants to leave.
He says "I don't like their ethics."
I say, "what does that mean, please explain."
He says " They tell us to lie to customers, for example, when the poor frustrated customer says they want to talk to a Supervisor, the Supervisor tells them to tell the customer there are no supervisors available."
I say "is that right?'
He says "you better believe it, That's not all, they have us tell the customer all sorts of things."
I say "Well, how SBC runs their business is beyond the scope of this interview, so lets move on . . ."
Makes you wonder about Customer Service these days.
Does make one wonder what kind of Mission Statement some of these companies have. If any....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts