Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hondacura must be getting a LOT of denero out of this deal (forgive me if this has already been posted here):

By Bill Visnic with Katharine Zachary
Ward's Auto World, Aug 1, 2002

Saturn Corp. is the only General Motors Corp. unit that will use engines and transmissions supplied by Honda Motor Co. Ltd., Ward's learns.

The Saturn Vue will be the sole GM product to use the ultra-low emissions-vehicle-certified 3.5L DOHC V-6, beginning with ‘04 models. Volumes call for 50,000 units annually for the 5-year life of the contract.

Vue's current GM-made 3L DOHC V-6 will be replaced with the Honda engine and a Honda 5-speed automatic transmission. The Vue will retain its GM-made 2.2L DOHC I-4 as its base engine.

The engines are built at Honda's Anna, OH, facility, which supplies V-6s for Honda and Acura vehicles. It is unclear whether power and torque ratings will differ for Saturn, but the V-6 will be “specifically engineered” for Saturn, says Jill Lajdziak, Saturn vice president-sales, service and marketing.

The Saturn decision ends speculation that began in December 1999, when GM and Honda first announced a technology and component-sharing agreement whereby Honda would supply V-6s and transmissions to GM.

A Honda source first told Ward's last fall that the V-6 would power the Vue. At that time, the plan was to supply GM with 75,000 units, down from the 90,000 units originally envisioned when the sharing deal was announced.

A Saturn source says the Vue program will take 50,000 units annually, raising the possibility of Saturn later using the Honda V-6 for the L-Series lineup, as it shares the GM-made 3L V-6 that the Vue is drops in 2004.

But a Saturn official says no powertrain changes are planned for the '04 L-Series. And L-Series could replace its 3L — imported from Ellesmere Port, U.K., — with GM's upcoming “High-Value” OHV V-6.

The decision on where at GM to use the Honda engine also appears to have been delayed at least once. Word is there was raucous debate in GM boardrooms about the matter. And Honda's desire to be an engine supplier is not as relevant today as it was during 1999's merger mania.
One thing weird is it says the 3.5 is a DOHC engine. I'm pretty sure the MDX is a SOHC :confused:

·
Registered
699 Posts
donsev said:
Gator, wait, that would mean:
You do realize that the MDX is an EXACT duplicate of the Saturn VUE underneath the exterior panels, right??

:rolleyes:
Do you mean they're exact or alike. Save time by back-pedaling now. :D

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
But seriously...

Think about what the sales of 3.5 V6 to GM for use in the Vue would mean -- more money and motivation to put a more powerful engine in the Honda/Acura products!:D

I am frankly AMAZED that GM wants the cost/complexity of the 3.5 for such a meager offering as the Vue or even the L-Series. I thought that they'd want a much more impressive vehicle for such a nice motor, OR a much smaller more fuel sipping motor for such things as Saturn (like the 2.4L 4 that cranks out 160 Hp in the CR-V)

Either way, this a good thing for Honda/Acura fans.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Very interesting . . .

This further validates the speculation that the '04 X will get the 3.8 (or larger) V6 to differentiate from both Pilot and now the vue. Now the issue for Pilot owners is should they feel slighted if their drivetrain is available in a domestic maker's vehicle ???

·
Registered
616 Posts
UPDATE

Vue Red Line is powered by a 3.5L V-6 SOHC engine sourced from Honda Motor Co. Ltd. Featuring all-wheel or front-wheel drive and a 5-speed automatic transmission, Vue Red Line will offer 250 hp.

The Honda-built 3.5L 60-degree engine, available in 2004, will replace the optional 3L V-6 54-degree powerplant generating 181 hp. GM’s deal with Honda is capped at 50,000 engines annually. (The SUV will continue to offer GM’s Ecotec 2.2L 4-cyl. powerplant as its base engine.)
http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_saturn_darts_red/

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/96999/page020.html

I will have to press my source at the Anna plant as to exactly how different this engine/drivetrain is from the Acura/Pilot engine/drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
If thats the case...

Hmmm..so if the Press Release is true...Then that means that the Saturn VUE will be a VERY VERY FAST SUV.... Because of the PolyEurothane plastic body panels and the aluminum subframe...theoretically the Saturn VUE is MUCH lighter than the MDX and the Pilot.

WHOAH! a KICK ASS Saturn SUE for less than $25,000.00 fully loaded??? Holy shnitza BATMAN!!!:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Re: If thats the case...

from the edmunds article
Saturn claims that the Red Line can blast from zero to 60 mph in just 7 seconds, making it quicker than most midsize 'utes packing V8s. A sport suspension, antilock brakes (albeit with drums still out back), "performance tuned" steering and 18-inch alloy wheels with meaty 245/50 Bridgestone Turanzas complete the functional upgrades.
The VUE should weigh about 1000lbs less than the MDX (3400lbs vs 4400lbs). Give or take the relative weight of the new engine/drivetrain.

I find it more interesting that the standard tire will be a 245 Bridgestone Turanza. This is both wider than the MDXs standard 235s and a "higher performance" tire than the Michelin Cross Terrains. (I bet it will have a great/short stopping distance:D )

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Physics

So speaking from physics perspective...if the torque on the Saturn Vue is like that of the MDX/Pilot then on a Torque per Pound basis...it will be much higher and may be giving the 0-60MPH either in the 6.8 seconds especially if we are talking about 245 40 series tires with really light wheels.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Just spoke with my contact in Anna and yes, the VUE Red Line will be getting the same 3.5L engine as the MDX with cosmetic and ECU tweaks per GM's specs.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hmm, I guess this would make sense now that the 04 MDX will be "more powerful" (read: new/upgraded engine?) as carvenacura says in the other thread http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=141326#post141326 . One would think that TPTB at Acura/Honda would want to avoid the Saturn Vue taking away sales from the MDX because the Vue has the exact same engine as the MDX.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
The new '03 MDX review posted in this thread ...

... http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11702 confirms the engine going to Saturn.

The review is located here: http://info.detnews.com/autosconsumer/autoreviews/index.cfm

QUOTE: The single-overhead-cam 3.5-liter V-6 now makes 260 horsepower -- up 20 from last year -- and is mated to a new five-speed automatic transmission. That same engine, by the way, is being sold to General Motors Corp., which will use it next year in the Saturn Vue, among other models.

·
Registered
616 Posts
No offense msu79gt82, but I take everything I read from automotive wags with a grain of salt. This, on the other-hand, has been confirmed by a source very familiar with the engine assembly that it is indeed the exact same engine - no physical mods to reduce/limit HP or torque or other changes to accomodate the VUE engine bay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts