Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They just opened up a Safeway gas station in the lot of the Safeway close to me. Prices are pretty good, about 10 cents cheaper than other stations, plus about another 3 cents if you use a discount card (e.g. Safeway Card).

Costco gas is even cheaper but there isn't one conveniently close enough and the lines are much, much longer.

Anyone know where Safeway buys their gas from? Is it "good gas?"

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
wmquan said:
Anyone know where Safeway buys their gas from? Is it "good gas?"
My guess is that they may use a "variety" of fuel stock suppliers. Typically the Majors stick with a single supplier they are contracted with, while independants are more flexible. I would not think it to be a "bad" gas. Recall the old thread discussing gas formulations ad nauseum?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
safeway gas??? is that a grocery store with gas station now?? :confused:

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I buy Vons gas (same company as Safeway) and its fine. With Vons Club membership card, Vons discount .03 cents per gallon always, and once a week they run a .06 cents per gallon discount.
I also buy Costco's gas with my Costco/AMEX card and receive other discounts there with that one. Haven't noticed any problems yet. My dilemma is always what grade to gas up with, the top or middle grade.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
greatscot said:
I buy Vons gas (same company as Safeway) and its fine. With Vons Club membership card, Vons discount .03 cents per gallon always, and once a week they run a .06 cents per gallon discount.
I also buy Costco's gas with my Costco/AMEX card and receive other discounts there with that one. Haven't noticed any problems yet. My dilemma is always what grade to gas up with, the top or middle grade.
.03cents (that is .03%?) / .06cents (that is .03%?) Sounds like you need to pump 33 gallons to save a penny on .03 cents per gallon discount or 16 gallons for .06 cent discount. :2: :D

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Wmquan:

___I was watching “Modern Marvels” on the History Channel just a few weeks ago and they had an article on fuel. Most fuel albeit Shell, BP/Amoco, Exxon/Mobil, Marathon etc. … ship their fuel through the same extensive pipelines crossing every state. It’s at the terminals were specific additives are added for various uses but all in all, the same gas you purchase from your local BP or Marathon is more than likely the same you will be purchasing from the Safeway. I cannot guarantee this but from the research shown, it sure looks very similar except for the additives.

___Slightly OT but I hope you get the chance to see the video article on fuel as it was one of many the History Channel produces that is truly worth watching … “TR” an American Lion was the last great show I watched and I highly recommend this particular Historical Biography to everyone of any age.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JTM said:
safeway gas??? is that a grocery store with gas station now??
Some Safeways in some parts of the country now also sell gas, just like some Costcos do. It's become a new trend in supermarket-retailing. The idea is that people go to the supermarket to get their staples, though that's been threatened by discount chains that sell groceries (Target, Wal-Mart -- it's a good idea because that's a hedge against recession, people still need to eat!). So by offering gas, they provide another reason to go to the supermarket -- buy gas, buy groceries, or just buy gas. A lot of supermarkets have the real estate to put in a gas station too, or can get it.

The Safeway Gas station here charges about $0.10 less than gas stations in the area, which is significant as far as gas goes. Using a qualifying Safeway discount card like your Safeway Club Card or a Von's card gets an additional three cents of a discount -- so then it's $0.13 cheaper.

There's a gas station across the street from the Safeway, and they've had to drop their prices to match them! Some folks don't like this trend because it threatens the franchised gas stations. But a lot of gas stations are corporate-owned now, though, and/or people don't have a lot of sympathy for them anyway!

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DaleB -- We use our Safeway Club card, and we get an additional 3 cents off on top of the generally 10-cent cheaper gas. Because the Safeway Club card is not a charge card, I have to swipe it first in the reader, which registers the discount, and then I swipe my credit card.

Xcel -- Ah, I actually TiVo'ed that Modern Marvels on gasoline because I was curious, but haven't had time to watch it yet. Did not record the TR bio, though.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
True - additives are added at the end of the line, but ...

xcel said:
It’s at the terminals were specific additives are added for various uses but all in all, the same gas you purchase from your local BP or Marathon is more than likely the same you will be purchasing from the Safeway. I cannot guarantee this but from the research shown, it sure looks very similar except for the additives. [/email]
... it is the additives that are a gasolines claim to fame. The additives include the octane boosters and detergents. These are proprietary blends and give the gas its "uniqueness". That is not to say one brand is "better" than another. The base stack may be same but the additives are different.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts