Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer is really trying to push the Acura rustproofing (at a discounted price). Does anyone know if the MDX comes with any kind of standard rust protection, is the Acura rust protection any good and has anybody had any kind of rust problems with their X. I checked previous threads but there was no info. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
p.s. I am in Canada where they use tons of salt in the winter.

·
3,109 Posts
http://www.acura.com/about/abo_end_paf.asp
The Acura paint process is one of the most thorough and rigorous in the industry. First, every blemish and irregularity is carefully removed from the raw body. Then it's washed, dried and submerged in an electro-deposition bath that draws an anti-corrosion coating deep into every crevice by means of an electrical current. Next comes a complex regimen — applying a layer of paint, baking it in a low temperature oven, washing, drying, more paint, another session in the oven and so on. The final touch is a durable clear coat designed to resist fading, oxidation and the discoloring effects of environmental pollutants.

Throughout the body of every Acura, special anti-corrosion coatings and anti-chipping barriers are applied in areas where road salts and debris could cause pitting. To keep moisture out, a protective waxy oil is injected into hollow body cavities.
...but since I don't have one yet, I don't know if it is any good.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I remember, when I was in school, that they had a discussion about paint jobs on newer cars. As opposed to just spraying onto the metal the factories actually magnetize the metal of the vehicle during the paint process. For example they would make the metal "positively" charged and the paint spray a "negative" charge. The result not only reduces the amount of paint that is over sprayed but also that the paint finds its way into every nook and cranny(never ever wrote that!). We all remember the peeling and bubbling of the paint in older vehicles. No salty air can get under the paint and corrode the metal. Now if you have a scratch you are vulnerable but proper and expedient dressing of the scratch will prolong the paints life. I have no idea if the rust proofing involves spraying of metal parts beneath the vehicle as well. I know they do have undercoating available but it delays the inevitable. Living in Canada, especially near the water and coasts and snow you are going to have rust. I would say the best thing you could do is spray off regularly in winter and address any and all scratches right away. BTW, the X has a 48 month/50000 rust warranty but I believe it has to come to the "perforation"stage. Who the heck would let it get to that stage?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
You beat me Zafer. See I listened in school.:29:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts