Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

My wife and I picked up a new 2017 MDX Navi back in June. Since I live in Canada, I was thinking of rustproofing it (maybe Krown). We had a 2009 MDX Base that we bought brand new, and Krown'd it since the first year, and when we sold it in June, it had zero rust on her after 9 Canadian winters.

I'm worried about rustproofing this MDX since it seems to have so much more tech in it. I don't want the rustproofing to damage any electronics. Also, the Krown rustproofing warped the door seals on our 2009, so I want to avoid that if possible.

Just curious... what do you MDX owners that live with snow do? Do you rustproof? If so, what product do you use? The dealer is trying to sell me the electronic rustproofing that sends a charge or something like that throughout the car, but I don't think that works. I tried doing a search on this fourms, but it came up with threads on the older gens, not the 3rd gen.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Acura does have a 5 year unlimited mileage rust protection for body panels if the rust starts from the inside out. Acura also has a lifetime and unlimited miles coverage of Exhaust components (Muffler, A-pipe, B-pipe).

Depends how long you are planning to keep the MDX and if the dealership rust protection cost is worth it since you already have 5 years of protection already with Acura. I don't see why you couldn't add the rust protection after +5 years down the road if you decide to keep the MDX longer?

Reactions: Kbdixon

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used Krown on mine. I specifically asked so that they don't drill any holes. A lot of people will tell you you don't need it given the quality of the new cars now. But I just do it each year just in case. I am not worried about rust on body panels. I do it more for the other parts that are under the car which we don't really see on daily basis and are more exposed to the salt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response! We do plan on keeping the MDX for awhile - best way to get you money's worth out of a vehicle! The last one we had, we kept for 8 years. Only reason we sold it was I wanted to get something nice for my wife and kids. Otherwise, the '09 would have been good for another 8 years.

The dealer told me not to do aftermarket rustproofing as it could damage electronics and void the warranty. But I don't know if I should believe them.

I'd like to keep the MDX looking as good as possible for as long as possible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used Krown on mine. I specifically asked so that they don't drill any holes. A lot of people will tell you you don't need it given the quality of the new cars now. But I just do it each year just in case. I am not worried about rust on body panels. I do it more for the other parts that are under the car which we don't really see on daily basis and are more exposed to the salt.
Is yours a 3rd gen then? And Krown can do it without drilling holes? I didn't know they can do that. I'll give them a call. Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Used Krown spray last year on my DX ... no issues..
having it done again next week.

Ive used Krown on my 02 TL since i got it new, and my old 84 Firebird before that...
This stuff works..!!
my 2 c
J.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I opted for the Acura rust proofing from the dealer($699, Cnd) and had them include it free in our deal. Good for 10yrs + they also do inside the doors and touch ups.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Those electronic rust prevention things are a complete waste of money. Don't do it. Krown is one of the only rust prevention methods endorsed by the APA https://www.apa.ca/services_rustproofing.asp#

If you've successfully used Krown on your last MDX and were happy, why change now? All the fancy electronics that the 3rd gen has is inside the vehicle, not underneath or in the panels where they will be spraying the Krown. The ACC sensor is in the front grille, which won't be sprayed, BSM uses radar, LKAS uses a camera in the windshield....not sure what else wouldn't be affected by Krown.

The dealer is either outright lying, or the salesman is brutally uninformed. Krown will not void any warranty.

You can ask them not to drill holes, but over several vehicles and many years, I've never had the drilled holes rust on my vehicles. Also, the swelling door seals - never seen that myself, but petroleum on rubber can cause swelling. Easiest thing to do is clean the Krown off the seals when you get the car back, or maybe apply something like 303 Aerospace to the seals before getting the Krown done.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Rustproofing is often one of those dealership up-sell scams - like 'paint protection', 'seat protection', etc.

I didn't think most modern vehicles needed add-on rustproofing even if keeping the vehicle a long time. Do you really think there's any value in doing this?

I live in an area where it never snows and there's little rain so my vehicles last forever with no rust problems - even my 50 year old vehicles. I've never seen even a bit of body rust on my modern vehicles including a 19 y/o SUV with 235k miles I just got rid of. But again, this is an ideal climate for no rust hence my question of whether it's really beneficial or not in the areas with road salt and lots of moisture.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts