Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 1500 miles on my MDX and after looking at the bottom of the car and at the wheels, all the cast iron parts around the wheels are completely rusted! My dealer tells me that is the way with all MDXes! Do you have rust?

It is very visible if you bend down and look at the wheels from the back under the MDX. It is also the same on the front wheels but harder to see. I have some good pictures of it but haven't figured out how to post them here yet.

I am very baffled that Acura did not bother to paint these cast iron parts. I have a cast iron pickax which hasn't rusted as much after 10 years. I am very upset and concerned about this, and hope they will have a service bulletin or a recall to fix this >:-0

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, I have the rust too. In fact, when I shut my door hard, there are ringing sounds (sort of like metal on metal) that emits from the bottom of the MDX. Wonder if that is normal?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rust photo

I just posted one photo in the Gallery section under the subject "rusted bottom" if you want to see the rust. I have a Honda CRV as well (made in Japan) and it does not have a spot of rust after three years. The solution would have been PAINT!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Part of the problem with rust is they took asbestos out of the brake pads and just about everyone has gone to metallic pads. When you brake, these little dust particles rust on everthing they touch(surface rust). Metallic pads also do more wear and tear on the rotors. I use organic pads when I can find them because they don't have metal in them. But, I also do my own brake jobs. The downside to organic is they wear out much faster. With alloy wheels it is much more noticable in there. You just need to find a good cleaner, I also use wd-40 on surrounding areas but "DO NOT PUT IT ON THE ROTORS OR BRAKE PADS" you may not stop. Not a good idea if you don't know what you are doing.
Roger

·
Registered
82 Posts
RGWomack said:
Part of the problem with rust is they took asbestos out of the brake pads and just about everyone has gone to metallic pads. When you brake, these little dust particles rust on everthing they touch(surface rust). Metallic pads also do more wear and tear on the rotors. I use organic pads when I can find them because they don't have metal in them. But, I also do my own brake jobs. The downside to organic is they wear out much faster. With alloy wheels it is much more noticable in there. You just need to find a good cleaner, I also use wd-40 on surrounding areas but "DO NOT PUT IT ON THE ROTORS OR BRAKE PADS" you may not stop. Not a good idea if you don't know what you are doing.
Roger
Organic brake pads are no longer been offered in new cars because of EPA regulations. I miss those organic pad, no squeaking brake what so ever.

Foxbat

·
Registered
426 Posts
Foxbat,
That's correct, you cannot get them on new cars, I get mine from one of the local parts stores when I need to replace them.
You'll have to do the brakes more often but if your a do it yourself kind of person, not turning and replacing rotors as often makes it worth it for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rust is not just the pads, it is the entire wheel bracket assembly! There are a couple of pictures in the Gallery discussions.

If you have an MDX, do you have Rust on yours on the same parts?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Gentlemen,

If we are lucky, Mintex will make pads for us.

I have been using their silver-based metallic pads in my 928 for years. They don't squeel, don't cause rust, and don't fade.

I have an email into them requesting part numbers, and will post a followup.

·
Registered
212 Posts
RGWomack said:
Anywhere that brake dust goes or settles even on paint it will cause surface rust if it is not cleaned off.
Roger, check out the pictures:
http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1908

This is not metallic brake dust. Not unless brake dust is selective to what it sticks on. Parts right next to the rusted parts are clean. Very obvious.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah, took the MDX to my Honda guy (NOT the dealerhsip) the other day for the 7.5k maintenance. While it was up on the lift he pointed out the rust to me with a comment about Honda being cheap bastards for not painting that part.

Wouldn't hold out too much hope for a service bulletin as there isn't really any sort of defect here...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That makes me feel a little better that I am not the only one, but rust is never good! That is just very poor manufacturing. Like my original post said, I have a Honda CRV with no sign of rust anywhere after three years (made in Japan)! They had to cut cost somewhere, I guess they chose quality, and it shows in the details!

I asked my dealer to brush off the rust (if it is truly surface rust) and paint the parts. I even offered to supply the paint, but the dealer refused to do the service. I plan on contacting Acura about this and complain. It would realy help if everyone that has the same rust problem makes an entry in this thread.

What is the best way to contat ACURA?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Acura Client Services
800-382-2238
M-F 6:00AM - 5:00PM Pacific Time

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Reply from Acura Services

Thanks for the contact info. I just called Acura Services and they told me that they are not aware of any MDX having this rust problem!!! They also suggested I take it back to the dealer and ask them to check (I just came from there a few days ago and they told me all MDXes rust)!

I have seen at least one other MDX with the same rust, and there is at least one other person on this tread that has the rust. It would be nice to know if others have the rust, or don't? That would make the argument a little stronger.

Please post a reply here if you do or don't have rust on the parts shown in the photos (see gallary under the same name thread).

I am getting nowhere fast. Acura Services also suggested I make an appointment and show the problem to the factory rep. I guess I need to change my job so I can make a few more trips to the dealer to show them their poor manufacturing.

Have I had too much coffee or am I right to be upset after spending more than $35K and getting rusted parts after 2000 miles?

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes, I have rust on my wheel brackets, too! Any comment from Daniel (Admin), Paul (A4L), and/or Tim (Hondacuraworld)?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I got it, too. Same spots as 123 posted in the gallery.

I believe Redwing is correct in his post from the gallery, tho:

If these are truly cast iron, it will rust unless coated. I doubt that this rust will hurt the integrity of the part. It is different than sheet metal. In fact, the iron oxide itself acts as an inhibitor for cast
No promises, tho, but I recall seeing that prognosis elsewhere regarding surface rust on undercarriage parts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Rust Problem

I've got rust in the same places. I've had the MDX 3 weeks (less than 1000 miles).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
23 Participants
iceman1331
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing