• Other

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought I'd post a thread to find out what other 1st gen MDXers would do (or have done) in this situation I find myself in.

My 2003 MDX has been a fantastic car and mechanically sound. It's coming up on 300,000km (188k miles) and I have no major issues with it except for one, which does annoy me. Rust.

Rust at the rear wheel arches on both sides of the vehicle. The rust spots on either side of the car are located towards the rear in the same spot, at the seam where the bumper meets the rear 3/4 panel. It's been bubbling up and parts of the in-turned lip has started cracking/flaking off. :headshake

Which leads me to wonder what MDXers on the MDXers.org forum would do in my situation. Now instead of wondering, I figured why not just ask!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I'd kind of do the minimum required to get it looking good from 10 feet, and call it a day. Not that I'm much of an expert on rust, living in the desert (my 230k mile, 1996 Jeep's chassis looks pretty much like it just rolled out of the factory a month ago).

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I just found a set of new OE fender flares for mine. Hoping to bury under the rust as soon as it makes it onto the outer surface. Maybe search (you will have to look hard) for a set for your car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My '04 MDX has a little bit of rust on the corner of the hood, being a car enthusiast, I'm thinking about buying some acura touch up paint, scraping off the rust, using bondo and painting over it and covering it up with a bug deflector or something, that was a good idea about covering it with fender flares (i hate the way they look) but the rust will spread so take care of it before covering it up!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Just bought a bug guard for my hood too. I actually have a hole all the way through in one spot. The rest of it looks great though. Yep, I will try hard to slow it down before hiding it under the flares and bug guard. Been grinding out the wheel wells for years now and trying different products. Rust Bullet has been the best so far, but nothing totally stops it.

I don't think the flares look too bad.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ Those fender flares don't look bad at all! The white on white looks pretty seamless.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd kind of do the minimum required to get it looking good from 10 feet, and call it a day. Not that I'm much of an expert on rust, living in the desert (my 230k mile, 1996 Jeep's chassis looks pretty much like it just rolled out of the factory a month ago).
My '04 MDX has a little bit of rust on the corner of the hood, being a car enthusiast, I'm thinking about buying some acura touch up paint, scraping off the rust, using bondo and painting over it and covering it up with a bug deflector or something, that was a good idea about covering it with fender flares (i hate the way they look) but the rust will spread so take care of it before covering it up!
I've done this on other vehicles with satisfactory results. Up close you can definitely notice the overspray since it's hard to blend without re-spraying the entire panel but, yes, from 10 feet away, most people wouldn't be able to tell at all. It's not a bad option to keep my MDX going a few more years.

·
Registered
17 Posts
where can I find hood bug deflector

Several rust bubbles along front edge of hood. Three body shops have recommended replacing the hood at $1000.+. I like the idea of fixing the rust myself and covering the area with a bug deflector. Problem is I'm having a surprisingly difficult time finding one online. Any ideas? Thanks. 2005 MDX, 100K miles.

·
Registered
243 Posts
i just grinded a few spots down, brushed a little POR15 and will touch up in a few days with a color matched paint. Done this on a few other cars in the past and works fairly well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
rust repair

Just fixed several rust bubbles along front edge of hood. Looks ok, but not a professional job. Covered up the area with a LeBra mini mask, 45006-01. Low profile and covers front of hood up about nine inches and fits and looks great. Very easy to install. A good quick attractive solution to a beat up hood edge.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So just a little update, I did end up repairing the rust on the rear wheel wells but I know it will eventually come back. It'll last me for a while anyway as this rust is the one thing that's driving me to replace the car once and for all.

I spoke with an Acura service advisor the other day and he, too, admitted that this is unfortunately a common occurrence.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same issue on my 2002 MDX. I was going to purchase the fender flares after cleaning off the rust but having trouble finding them. Do you have to go to a dealer only to get them? Do they come in white?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The fender flares are factory OEM parts. But they're discontinued and pretty hard to find. The early cars like your 2002 only came in black, but could be painted to match. The later models came painted to match the factory colors. I still have a brand new set for my 06 in aspen white pearl that I may sell soon (I think my car might be dead). The newer painted ones do not fit the early cars though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts