Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While washing my MDX yesterday, I noticed that there was a considerable amount of rust on the muffler component. Has any one else seen this problem? Is it part of the warrenty?

Ootyboy

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
It is a part of the warranty, but only when it is defective. We replace a lot of exhaust here in Buffalo. What you will find for the most part is that exhaust systems rust from the inside out, due to condensation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I took it in to re-do this rust today.

It was painted over once last year for smaller rust spots. This time, the spot got large and is
easily visible from the side bumper. Since I live in northern California, not New York State where you got heavy snow and use a lot of salt on the road in the winter time, and I hosed all the salt and dust off from our (once of twice every year) Lake Tahoe ski trips right after I got home, I don't understand how this could happen (for a $40K vehicle).

The service director asked the tech to see him to make sure they sand it off before they paint it again. I hope it works this time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does not make sense

I also live in Northen California, and have had many cars here. Never in the past 15 years of driving have I had a car that developed rust on it. I also cannot believe that a $40K car can rust so easily...

Ootyboy

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
It's the ?#@* Muffler !!

Easy on Acura guys, it is the MUFFLER that you are complaining about, not the bloomin' car.

Even if the muffler rotted and fell off [minor item], that is much different than body rot [kiss the baby goodbye].

Seems like Honda has never learned how to paint exhaust. The V-6 Accords have painted mufflers [black] and the paint routinely flakes off. Guess Honda should simply go to stainless exhaust and eliminate the problems.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I have a quick question.... Do they sell a black paint that you can apply to the muffler?? When I look at my X from the back I notice that some paint has flaked off the muffler and kinda looks crappy. Do they make such a demon that can handle the heat???

Thanks in advance

Hock

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Don't know for sure, but I think that the flat black spray paint that hardware stores sell for barbecue grills would work fine. I'm considering that for my wife's '99 Accord V6 -- both mufflers need it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
hondacuraworld said:
It is a part of the warranty, but only when it is defective. We replace a lot of exhaust here in Buffalo. What you will find for the most part is that exhaust systems rust from the inside out, due to condensation.
My 2002 muffler is badly rusted, yet it has only seen snow once, and spends much of its time in Florida. Is it unusual to get such bad rust spots? I guess it is only a matter of time until there is a hole and the muffler needs replacing. If it is not covered under warantee, about how much could I expect to pay for a Acura replacement?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts