Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 MDX has some rust in the engine compartment as shown below. Do you think this would covered by the rust warranty? I have more details below, feel free to offer any advice of suggestions with dealer or something I should do to minimize the spread and appearance of this.

The warranty is mostly concerned with rusted through body panels, however it does include this language:
"Rust that does not perforate, but is caused by a defect in material or workmanship, is covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty"

Full history: 36 month lease, put in service Jan 2016. noticed lots of water on passenger floor in Dec. 2016. Car was serviced by dealer and contracted body shop, seemed like a manufacturing fault related to body panel seams and related drainage. Some of the front end of the car was taken apart and I think some new body parts were ordered from Acura, body shop had car about two weeks. I don't know the extent of the work done there (although it worried me, I perhaps foolishly didn't stress too much since it is a lease)

I can't embed images yet because I am a new member but images are available at URL's below, maybe an admin can help fast track my account or another kind member can embed these images in a reply.

i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/johnsodr/engine.jpg
i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/johnsodr/engine%20rust.jpg
i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/johnsodr/driv_rust.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
in case it's not obvious, I had to remove the http: and slashes from the front of the addresses for my post to go through

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Rust warranty for Acura only covers it if it creates perforations IIRC. If that surface rust can be linked to non-coated surfaces or panels rubbing off the paint exposing it to the elements, then it should be covered by the 5 year bumper to bumper warranty, but if something else caused that, then who knows. Doesn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
car now at dealer for rust evaluation

Rust warranty for Acura only covers it if it creates perforations IIRC.
Thanks for the response, you're right, the warranty is geared toward perforation, but as I mentioned it does cover certain situations even without full blown perforation.

The car is currently at the dealer, the service manager has to call the shots and send photos to the next level up within acura (regional manager?) to decide whether it will be a covered issue. I'll respond back when I find out more. The service advisor did admit it was unusual for a 10.5K mile car and he hadn't seen similar rust. How would folks feel about this if it was their car?

I'm not sure it's something I really want addressed, as taking the body apart or re-painting some areas invites the possibility of further errors or damage, especially if I can't monitor the contracted body shop closely.

·
Registered
961 Posts
You might want to compare that area with another Gen 3 MDX. Maybe they failed to put sealer in that joint on yours.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Looks like surface rust around a welded structural body seam. Not a site that sees much road salt or moisture, so it's not gonna progress very fast. Might be a structural problem sometime in the next century. Until then, a cosmetic issue IMO. And it's not something anyone else will see. You probably shouldn't crawl under your car, because you would FREAK OUT at all the rust under there. Cosmetic touch up should be sufficient if you do anything. I did some really bad DIY body work in my youth, but this is just a layperson's opinion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just cosmetic

I think you're right on the money Wanderlust. They dealer did get the body shop to do a cosmetic touch-up which has covered it up for now. They did it as covered warranty work, no cost to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I would encourage 14-16 mdx owners to inspect under the door seal. Noticed some discoloration and seal looked bumpy. Lifted it up to find this

1 - 9 of 9 Posts