Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

So I fell in love with the MDX and decided to pick up a used 2014. I had quick peak underneath and was surprised to see some of the rusted areas.
Would anyone happen to know just how bad this is or if I should be worried at all?

Link to image gallery: 2014 MDX - Album on Imgur

Thank you for the input!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I do indeed :). This one came from a place that I would assume uses less corrosion inhibitors then where it is now, but was only there for a year of mild driving. For the Cannucks out there, that is Ontario to now, Alberta.

I managed to have a quick chat with a nearby mechanic and he said it was all surface rust and typical as well, nothing to worry about - just unpainted things doing what they do.

My 2005 Civic does not seem to have comparable corrosion, but it had an undercoating just after leaving the lot, so it's hard to compare. And I'm sure the undercoating plugged drain holes and was the cause of other issues, but that's for different forums :).

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Unfortunately, even cars NOT in the snowy regions look like that. After the early 2000s, Honda decided to stop using anti-corrosion coatings on many of their parts. You will find much rust under and also inside (see all the mild steel parts in the seat tracks, etc). I'm not worried about the cast iron parts like the knuckles, but the steel ends of the sway bar and such are just bound to break sooner or later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts