Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be picking up a 2017 MDX this week and thinking about having running boards installed. The color that I will be getting is Crystal Black Pearl. I was thinking about getting the 2017 advance running board with the chrome top or the one with the black top. Just not sure which one looks best. I tried searching on here and on the internet but can not find any pics with either installed on a black MDX. I'm looking for opinions on which would look best. Also requesting if people could post pics if they have a Black MDX with the 2017 advanced boards.

Also how is easy is the install if I decide to go the DIY route? I heard it's a little different for the 2017's.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Have you seen a MDX with those boards, in person? I thought I wanted them until I played with them at the dealer... Definitely not worth it, imo.

Typically, I like running boards to address at least two (if not all) of the following three concerns:

1. Look good.
2. Help my wife get in/out of the vehicle.
3. Protect the vehicle from shopping cart impact.

At best, the MDX running boards can only meet the first of these concerns -- and that is subjective. However, they definitely fail at #2 and #3. The boards are an awkward size, and the MDX already has a relatively low entry height for a SUV. The boards don't stick out far enough to make a confident step, so we found it was better to just ignore the step and go into the vehicle, directly. However, because they do stick out a little bit, they hit your leg when stepping on the ground. To top it off, although the boards stick out a little bit, they do not stick out far enough to protect the vehicle from a shopping cart. The cart will still impact the door, before the step.

If you like the way they look, then go for it. They should be easy enough to DIY install. But I think they're a waste of money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you seen a MDX with those boards, in person? I thought I wanted them until I played with them at the dealer... Definitely not worth it, imo.

Typically, I like running boards to address at least two (if not all) of the following three concerns:

1. Look good.
2. Help my wife get in/out of the vehicle.
3. Protect the vehicle from shopping cart impact.

At best, the MDX running boards can only meet the first of these concerns -- and that is subjective. However, they definitely fail at #2 and #3. The boards are an awkward size, and the MDX already has a relatively low entry height for a SUV. The boards don't stick out far enough to make a confident step, so we found it was better to just ignore the step and go into the vehicle, directly. However, because they do stick out a little bit, they hit your leg when stepping on the ground. To top it off, although the boards stick out a little bit, they do not stick out far enough to protect the vehicle from a shopping cart. The cart will still impact the door, before the step.

If you like the way they look, then go for it. They should be easy enough to DIY install. But I think they're a waste of money.
Thanks for the feedback. I have seen them on vehicles in the dealership but have never tried using them. The primary reason for getting them were for the looks but I assumed they would also be functional. Based on what you stated, it seems they are not really that functional and actually causes problems for people getting in and out of the vehicle. I will definitely have to try them out when I go back to the dealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They are also good if you have young kids. If not or grown up kids then definitely avoid them. I recently purchased crystal black pearl and installed the advanced running board (black and I have young kids). If you decide to get them and are stuck Between black or chrome running board, then definitely go with black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently purchased a 2018 MDX and got the Advanced Running Boards installed by the dealer at 20% which I suppose it better than paying full price.

We have 2 small kids so that was a must have. I think it's functional enough and it looks fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am happy with these running boards

I recently purchased a 2018 MDX and got the Advanced Running Boards installed by the dealer at 20% which I suppose it better than paying full price.

We have 2 small kids so that was a must have. I think it's functional enough and it looks fine.
I have a 2016 with the chrome advanced running boards. I noticed right away that I was not using them to get in and out of the car like I did with my Pilot.
However, my elderly father-in-law uses these steps to get into the vehicle, and I don't think he could get in without these. He sits in the seat with his legs still on the ground, and then pushes off the running board to get the rest of the way into the vehicle. For this use, they work perfectly and protrude from the vehicle an adequate amount

1 - 7 of 7 Posts