Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have seen the manik side steps in the gallery, but i cannot find any posted pics of the running boards for the mdx. are they that bad/ugly? my wife doesn't like the tube-style steps and would like to see a pic other than a partial one on the acura website. our redrock has a build date of 11/15 - 11/18 (should be done by now), and i would like to see something rather than making another blind pick like we did when we ordered the redrock pearl.

are there any aftermarkets available?

thanks for any info/pics/links.

·
Registered
594 Posts
here's the deal

Here a picture of MDX.Orger - Brittain's ride:

http://members.home.net/whbrittain/garage.html

The boards are more integrated than the steps as you can see from the picts. The steps are more sporty / trucklike.

If you can find a dealer with them, that is the best way to evaluate (or keep your eyes peeled on the road for one...)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Acura running boards fit tight against the rocker panel from one end to the other. Really looks like their part of the vehicle rather then an add-on. Will keep dirt and road grim from messing up the bottom of the vehicle unlike the bar type boards. Most dealers from what i've seen install them on their demo's to promote sales. Installed boards this past weekend in about 2hrs. no problems at all, just bolt right up. No camera for picks, sorry.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the link and the installation time.

JANCOMAN - do they stick out enough to avoid some door dings?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dealer in Portland told me that it was his impression that the running boards had a tendency to cause noise from airflow problems at higher speed as opposed to the side steps. I had never heard that before and now am undecided about which to add when mine arrives.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Running boards provide a tame, integrated look...nothing flashy or particularly noticeable, but nice & clean.

Side Steps provide a flashier/sporty look! I have never noticed any additional wind/road noise from my side steps.

We had running boards on a van but decided on the steps for the X. But neither will do much toward eliminating door dings.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I have the running boards and like their look. Though it would have been nice for Acura to offer running boards with integrated lamps.

Ours were installed a week and a half after we took delivery of our MDX (dealer gave it to us immediately rather than make us wait a couple of days for their installers to put it in, and let us schedule the installation at our convenience). I don't recall any difference in wind noise.

I doubt if they help much with dings because they don't go out quite far enough like the OEM side steps. Though dingability depends on the offending door's height and shape.

The step-in height of the MDX is pretty good for most adults, so the running boards are more cosmetic than functional for us at this time (it'll eventually help our baby as he grows older).

To me, our MDX would have looked a bit naked and plain without either the running boards or side steps. They provide a visual relief from the vast sides of the MDX (though the body side moldings help too).

I searched for "running boards" and found some photos:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1934

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1161955&a=9493979

Here's one of many threads discussing running boards and side steps:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7&highlight=running+boards

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Magwich - I really doubt running boards would cause any more or less noise than side steps - and I didn't notice any noise difference after adding side steps. Go with what looks good to you!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Magwich said:
Dealer in Portland told me that it was his impression that the running boards had a tendency to cause noise from airflow problems at higher speed as opposed to the side steps. I had never heard that before and now am undecided about which to add when mine arrives.
No additional wind noise due to running boards. I knew it since I have them. They really keep the lower part of the sides of the X clean :D besides being useful as a step :)

Ding prevention is not a factor here so go with the look you like and er... the cleanliness you prefer ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ding prevention yes!

Not from car doors, but from rocks.

William, all this time I thought you had the chrome sidesteps installed on your vehicle!

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
tdnone & Drew:

Good points, I think the running boards do keep some gunk and rocks from coming up on the lower part of the vehicle. The mudflaps help the rear, though there's a triangle on the rear bumper that the mudflaps fail to protect.

The running boards, as I suspect the side steps, are rock solid as they should be. No flexing, just a solid surface to plant your foot on. You just adapt to not dirtying your pants with them by climbing into the vehicle with one foot on the step, and by stepping one foot onto the board when getting off, sort of a little pivot in the seat before jumping out. My wife wears skirts and dresses for work and has never complained about it (I wear jeans to work every day so never care).

·
Registered
679 Posts
Redrock, I know you said your wife doesn't like side steps, but the Manik steps actually DO prevent SOME door dings. Since you've expressed some concern about the running boards' ability to prevent door dings I figured I should mention that. In fact, in my case they prevent door dings from the single biggest door ding culprit in my experience: the wife's car :p With my old CR-V, I always tried to park on the right side of my 2 car garage so she wouldn't ding me when she got in or out of her car. But with my Manik equipped 'X I can park on either side without worry and I am still ding free after 4 months :) Plus, IMO if ever there was a color crying out for chrome Maniks it would be red rock. It would practically be a crime not to get them :) JM2C

·
Registered
11 Posts
Running boards eliminating door dings is going to be a hit or miss issue. They may help with small cars, but with normal size and larger vehicles I can't see running boards helping.

·
Registered
221 Posts
We have had the side steps since day one and have noticed no problems with wind noise.

As many others have said, I don't believe they will help with door dings much.

In my opinion, the side steps definitely give the 'X a more aggressive/sporty look where the running boards add a more tame look. Just my opinion, of course, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Ever post pictures

MarkC -- Have you ever posted pictures of you MDX?

Love to see it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was fortunate to see both running boards and side steps side by side at one of the dealers I went to. To me, the decision between running boards and side step took more contemplation than deciding between Touring or Base model.

As several members have stated, both board and step do emit an image; sporty vs. tame. I opted for sporty. The next question I pondered was Acura vs. After Market.

IMO, I liked the Acura sides steps because they are broader than the after market tubes like Manik. I believe they are oval and about 4 inches across as compared to the round 3" Maniks. The cheapest Acura side step I found in the Southern California area is $549. They only come in Black, but I guess you can get them powder coated for a few hundred dollars more. (Tim at hondacuraworld has them cheaper...)
I ended up getting the Manik's in stainless steel because they looked so good on the MDX!!! If fact, it looks like it was made for the X. The way it compliments and matches the wheels, chrome handles, and anything else that's silver of the exterior... :cool:

The practical purpose for me is two fold. First a 5 year old boy no longer needs a "butt-boost" to get in. Second, once you learn the
"side-step shuffle" you are in the seat instead of sliding into the seat using the center console as an anchor... BTW, I'm 5'7" and the tallest in my family.

The Side Step Shuffle:
1. Open door.
2. Face the car.
3. (Here's the tricky part) Place the foot that is pointing to the front of the car, on the black plastic step.
4. Step up and sit down.
* If you use the wrong foot to start, your butt will be on the steering wheel or glove compartment depending on which side you are entering.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Instructions for the GALS

Driver side:

*Left foot on step...straight on (or parallel) with step

*One shoulder strap purse...at least two shopping bags for "balance".

*Step UP and IN...butt hits dead center...no scoot.

*Left shopping bag transfers to right hand in the process...both wind up on the passenger seat...or passenger's LAP whichever applies.

Works every time. A little trickier in 'heels' but doable. Great for the calf muscles. Guess I'll have to let someone ELSE do the driving to give equal workout to the Right leg. But can he still drive with a lap full of shopping bags? Hmmmmm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi proskunetes
If memory serves right, you have a redrock.
Could you please post a side view pic of your X with your silver manik side steps showing. I am trying to decide if they'll look good on my Red.
Thanks
-Vishal

proskunetes said:
I was fortunate to see both running boards and side steps side by side at one of the dealers I went to. To me, the decision between running boards and side step took more contemplation than deciding between Touring or Base model.

As several members have stated, both board and step do emit an image; sporty vs. tame. I opted for sporty. The next question I pondered was Acura vs. After Market.

IMO, I liked the Acura sides steps because they are broader than the after market tubes like Manik. I believe they are oval and about 4 inches across as compared to the round 3" Maniks. The cheapest Acura side step I found in the Southern California area is $549. They only come in Black, but I guess you can get them powder coated for a few hundred dollars more. (Tim at hondacuraworld has them cheaper...)
I ended up getting the Manik's in stainless steel because they looked so good on the MDX!!! If fact, it looks like it was made for the X. The way it compliments and matches the wheels, chrome handles, and anything else that's silver of the exterior... :cool:

The practical purpose for me is two fold. First a 5 year old boy no longer needs a "butt-boost" to get in. Second, once you learn the
"side-step shuffle" you are in the seat instead of sliding into the seat using the center console as an anchor... BTW, I'm 5'7" and the tallest in my family.

The Side Step Shuffle:
1. Open door.
2. Face the car.
3. (Here's the tricky part) Place the foot that is pointing to the front of the car, on the black plastic step.
4. Step up and sit down.
* If you use the wrong foot to start, your butt will be on the steering wheel or glove compartment depending on which side you are entering.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hello Vishal,

I have a Granite Green MDX... but I do think the Stainless Steel Sidesteps do look better than the Black on any color MDX (except maybe a black MDX). The sidesteps does a beautiful job to match the chrome door handles, acura logos, and even the alloy wheels... truly looks like the Stainless Maniks are a part of the MDX.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts