Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running Board / Side Step Installation Instructions

I am starting this as a new thread as the original thread that this was posted under had a misspelling and would not show up on searches.

Installation Tips (I copied alot of this from member bif's previous post).
Refer to the installation instructions that come with the side steps (Pub # AI BII 21505) or download them from hondacuraworld.com as a pdf file.
Do NOT bump your MDX paint with the tools or sidesteps.
Note that all work was done on a free-standing MDX (no jacks required). It would help to jack up the car about 6 inches but if you can't then you definitely need a flex shaft adapter for the power drill. (you can get this at most hardware stores for about $5 and it looks like a 6 inch flexible rod that attaches to the 13 mm socket and then to your drill.

Additional Tools:

cordless drill with full battery and have a backup battery just in case.
Socket adapter (attaches to 13mm Socket so that it can be used with the drill)
Flex-shaft for drill or a way to jack up the car 6 inches
Socket extension bar (allows socket wrench and torque wrench to clear brackets)
small straight tip screwdriver
13mm box wrench
torque wrench (somewhat optional)

Note: Save the box the side steps come in to lay down on while you are installing it.

Count all the bolts and nuts and seperate them out.
Use some WD 40 or a little oil on all the bolts before putting them in.
It helps to have a work bench to assemble the brackets and attach them to the sidesteps.
Be careful with the orientation (right vs left & front vs back) and that one of the brackets is set up differently (the front).
Pre-assemble all the brackets first and attach them to the sidesteps.
I found it easier to attach all the brackets to the side steps before mounting on the MDX but you need someone to help you for about 15 minuted to hold the whole assembly up while you attach it to the bottom of the MDX. Use the flex shaft adapter (not mounted into the drill) to get each bolt started in the mounting holes when you are under the MDX. Then use power to set them in place.
Use a power drill with a socket adapter to fasten bolts to nuts. There’s 48 sets of nuts and bolts you need to fasten so make it easy by using a power tool.
Note that the Front Brackets are different from the Center and Rear Brackets. Left side step is different that right.
Note that the mounting holes near the out side of the vehicle are covered by a plastic plug. Six on each side. To remove them you need to use the screw driver to push the center in and then pry out each plug.
Use a long flange bolt on a socket with an extension to test/clear all the threads in the mounting holes.
It is important not to thread the bolts in too far on the brackets because the extra “play” is needed to adjust the side step.
I used my power drill to tighten the bolts using a medium clutch setting. Wear work gloves for this part as the drill will torque your hands around.
It took me about 1 hour 20 minutes. OK for anyone with advanced beginner technical skill with tools.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Are you talking about running boards or side steps? And, if you are re-posting an earlier 'how-to' with your personal slant, maybe it would be instructional for the rest of us to know where to find the original thread with the misspelling!

Thanks

BTW I installed my side steps the 'manual' way. Other than being a PITA, it was quite easy although somewhat time-consuming. Also, I would suggest going back over every nut and bolt when you are done to make sure they are tightened -- I overlooked a couple of mine and realized it about 2,000 miles into a 5,000 mile trip -- lots of rattling. No big deal, just bought a cheap socket set and tightened them. Guess it's a good idea to travel with tools.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
136 Posts
AcuraMDX2002 said:

BTW I installed my side steps the 'manual' way. Other than being a PITA, it was quite easy although somewhat time-consuming. Also, I would suggest going back over every nut and bolt when you are done to make sure they are tightened -- I overlooked a couple of mine and realized it about 2,000 miles into a 5,000 mile trip -- lots of rattling. No big deal, just bought a cheap socket set and tightened them. Guess it's a good idea to travel with tools.
I went over all of the nuts and bolts in mine with penetrating Loctite to avoid this....hopefully.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Do I need Torque wrench?

I am waiting for some chrome side steps from Tim, so your advice is really useful for me.
I thought you needed to use a torque wrench for proper tightness.(Or is that just being anal retentive). Just wondering, because I would rather spend money on something better than a torque wrench, which I would probably use twice a year total.

Rick
Florida

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Re: Running Board / Side Step Installation Instructions

HrdTsk said:

Be careful with the orientation (right vs left & front vs back) and that one of the brackets is set up differently.

I recall reading about a member from this site that installed them backward. :2: :8:

Thanks for taking the time to share all this information. I'll be getting my SS Acura Side Steps in a few weeks and I'm sure the task of installing them will be much easier because of this post.:29:

·
3,109 Posts
Re: Running Board / Side Step Installation Instructions

HrdTsk said:

Note that all work was done on a free-standing MDX (no jacks required). It would help to jack up the car about 6 inches but if you can't then you definitely need a flex shaft adapter for the power drill.
Here is a simple and safe way to raise the MDX; scroll down to the 4th photo: http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=563

·
Registered
453 Posts
What is that thing that they used to raise the MDX, and how much and where would I get one? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
MDX4NOW: Looks like they used ramps on all 4 wheels. I would not recommend trying that stunt again.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I didn't raise mine when I installed my side steps, and there was absolutely no problem! I don't think raising it would make the job all that much easier. I also don't think using pillows and a blanket spread out like you're getting ready to have a picnic would help much, either! (See the photos from the thread mentioned above). Of course, when you're getting ready to bond with your X, a little mood music is always beneficial.

These are my suggestions.

Lay out all the parts and count them to make sure you have them all.
Pre-assemble as much as you can in a comfortable spot (like the kitchen table).
Identify the left and right side - also identify the front and back of each.
Go under the X and take out the plugs that cover the bolt holes.
Follow the printed instructions -- this isn't hard, it just takes time (lots of bolts!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts