Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has removed their running boards?

I just bought a 2002 MDX a couple months ago and I'm contemplating taking them off because I'm thinking they will be a pain this winter when they have slush on them. I don't use them and when I step out of my MDX I sometimes hit the back of my calf on the running boards. I'm just imagining having to deal with wet stained pants.

How easy are they to remove? I honestly haven't looked yet. My only other concern is how much corrosion might be there after 17 years.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am thinking of removing mine too on an 05. It looks like the running board comes off the brackets very easily, but the brackets seem to have a ton of bolts/screws on each side. I obviously would remove the brackets as well. Probably not too hard but seems like it will be time consuming, I don't know why they are on there in the first place not like you need them to get in the car. If the bolts are rusted which I'm sure they are then it will take longer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right. My wife laughed when she saw that it had running boards.
That, combined with the light blue color, is where she came up with the name for it. The family now calls it Old-Man Blue. LOL
Guess I'm considered an old man now. Haha...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Right. My wife laughed when she saw that it had running boards.
That, combined with the light blue color, is where she came up with the name for it. The family now calls it Old-Man Blue. LOL
Guess I'm considered an old man now. Haha...
LOL....The only thing the RB,s are good for is reaching the roof to wash it. Even I am too short for that to work

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just removed some from a 02 out of an LKQ, to install on 04 MDX and the brackets don't bolt up. Not that hard to uninstall, time-consuming more than anything. 13mm socket, long extension, and patience. 18 bolts per running board.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I removed the running boards from my '03 last spring. I sprayed the threads ahead of time, and then again when i did the work. I put the car up on ramps and had enough room to get at everything. It still took some elbow grease to get some of the nuts off, but not too bad. I like the way it look now, it appears higher up and has a better stance to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts