Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. when I ordered my MDX I was COMPLETELY against getting running boards put on, but now that I've seem many of them with them on, I've actually think they might be useful. I have two kids 5 and 2, so I think having the running boards might help them getting in/out of the car. Those of you either with or without running boards, what do you think? Do you think I should get them?? THANKS!!

·
Registered
449 Posts
i ordered the running boards from Tim and installed them myself. IMHO, I think they are a good addition to the MDX. It not only improves the look of the MDX but is also useful. Many here have gone with the side steps, the general opinion is that the running board has a greater surface area for you to actually step on but the steps looks better.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
No you should get side steps, they do the same thing and look cooler! :D

(...but there's other opinions, a search will tell you more than you ever wanted to know)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Running Boards

If you live in areas that get ice, snow, and slush, the running boards are my recommendation. They seem to reduce the amount of debris kicked up by the tires that hits the side of the MDX. Also is you have smaller kids they are helpful in entering & exiting the vehicle. Side steps look nice put really don't provide any spray protection.

Finally, if you do any driving on gravel roads, the running boards are a must. Even with the mud flaps, you still get gravel pelting the lower panels.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We decided on the running boards. Looking at the same vehicle (with and without) made our decision easy. The running boards seem to make the MKX look complete (in my opinion). Our little kids are 6 and 10 and they use them to enter and exit. My wife and I have found that it is easier for us to enter without using the running boards. They do help when washing the top also. I believe the dealer price was $595.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
jelbnl,

So the count is now Running Boards: 3, Side Steps: 1. I will throw in my vote: side steps to kind of even up the sides (pun intended) a little more. Whatever you get, they will look good and perform well. It really does come down to a matter of personal preference. Good luck.:29:

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
ghost said:
No you should get side steps, they do the same thing and look cooler! :D

(...but there's other opinions, a search will tell you more than you ever wanted to know)
Mega dittos!!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
The running boards may not look as *cool* but after getting my set from Tim and installing them within the last week or two, the functionality greatly outweighs the cool factor, at least in Chicago.

The first week I had my car, it had nothing on it in terms of accessories. What this meant though was that road salt got all over my car as did puddle splashes (the mud guards can only go so far)

But now that I have the running boards, it blocks EVERYTHING. Whatever the mud guard doesn't catch, the front/bottom of the running boards does. No longer does the side of my car get ANY crud splashed up on it.

Plus, the boards blend in nicely with the dark Sage Brush, and I have a feeling it will be easier for my 80+ year-old parents to use the running boards (my original reason for getting them vs. side steps)

Overall, my vote goes for the running boards!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think Running Boards look nice on the darker colored Xs. Personally with the Silver and the Havasu Blue, the Side Steps look better coz they kinda blend with the interior color and give a good contrast to the light colored vehicles....

Well I liked the Side Steps from the get go...and got them for my Havasu Blue X. I must say that side steps/ running boards are a good thing to have....its makes us not too tall people get in and out of the X easily. And of course its a big help while cleaning the X !!

So Side Steps for me please.....

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
MDX4now said:
The running boards may not look as *cool* but after getting my set from Tim and installing them within the last week or two, the functionality greatly outweighs the cool factor, at least in Chicago.

The first week I had my car, it had nothing on it in terms of accessories. What this meant though was that road salt got all over my car as did puddle splashes (the mud guards can only go so far)

But now that I have the running boards, it blocks EVERYTHING. Whatever the mud guard doesn't catch, the front/bottom of the running boards does. No longer does the side of my car get ANY crud splashed up on it.

Plus, the boards blend in nicely with the dark Sage Brush, and I have a feeling it will be easier for my 80+ year-old parents to use the running boards (my original reason for getting them vs. side steps)

Overall, my vote goes for the running boards!

AGREE TOTALLY!!!!! :2:

·
Registered
153 Posts
jelbnl said:
O.K. when I ordered my MDX I was COMPLETELY against getting running boards put on, but now that I've seem many of them with them on, I've actually think they might be useful. I have two kids 5 and 2, so I think having the running boards might help them getting in/out of the car. Those of you either with or without running boards, what do you think? Do you think I should get them?? THANKS!!
I agree with GHOST, not only the CHROME side steps look cool, it is also "very" functional in my case. I have a 2 year old and putting her in the carseat (middle 2 row) is a snap.

1. Step on the "Manik Side Step"
2. Rest knees on the 2nd row seat (edge)

With my feet on the side step and knees on the seat edge, I have a good leverage to lift my daughter and put her on the car seat. You can't do that with running boards. There's no space (inside edge) on running board to hook your feet on to get the leverage. One reason I liked the Manik's over OEM side steps. More space in between...

Hope you guys get what I just described.

Well, that's my .02 cents.

Check out the ride:
http://acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=6601&highlight=rollin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oddball

I guess I'm the oddball. I do agree that running boards or side steps make the MDX look cooler, however, after test driving one that had them, we found them to be a nusance. We have an 8 year old and a 1 year old. The MDX sits low enough to the ground that the 8 year old doesn't NEED to use the running board (or side steps.) My wife and I both found it difficult putting the car seat in the middle row middle seat due to the running boards hitting us in the shins. We tried standing on them and it seemed a bit unstable. I guess for us the MDX seems low enough not to NEED them, but I do aree the vehicle looks better with them on. Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hi..

For the look.. chrome side steps is good.

For the funtions and safety get the running board!..

:1:

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just ordered the side steps from Tim yesterday for my Sage X. Am thinking about painting them to match. Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I also got the running boards from Tim (i think) thanks to recommendations on this site. Side steps are nice too but I liked the look and fit of the factory running boards. They fit perfectly between the wheel wells and up against the side of the vehicle. I thought about some aftermarkets from eBay but the factory ones already have the bolt holes under the car and install was a breeze (about an hour with air tools.) Well worth it.

I would recommend the running boards from hondaacuraworld.com $432.99 including shipping.
:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, I am planning to get the running boards as well, from Tim, as I realize I could stock a tool bench and take shop classes with the savings over what the local dealer is asking for purchase and install...

However, I am fairly mechanically inept, and don't already have the proper equipment to install them myself without some effort.

Does anyone know of a Seattle-area shop that could install these and other accessories at a reasonable cost. How long should it take a skilled person to do this (30-90min., by the looks of it from the forums) and what do you think would be a reasonable cost?

Thanks in advance!

Peter

·
Registered
699 Posts
I think the vehicle looks a little better without either one (sideboards or steps). They offer a little functionality, which is why I have sideboards. But the vehicle looks cleaner without.

Someone posted (maybe in a separate thread) that the off-roading is compromised if you install them because your ground clearence is reduced. I don't know about steps, but the sideboards don't appear to extend any farther down than anything else in the middle of the car (I mean under the doors). So as far as I can tell, ground clearance isn't compromised with the sideboards.

·
Registered
76 Posts
To: bellevuemdx

There alot of excellent post on the install of running boards that you should read before you give up on installing them yourself. The only tools I needed were a socket wrench, 6inch extension, 13mm socket and a 13mm wrench. It does take a little time but it is not extremely difficult.

IHMO, a reputable mechanic should be able to do it in no more the 1.5 hours. Depending on rate, this should be around $100-120 dollars.

You can download the instructions and get a better feel for the job at Tim's site.

Good luck

1 - 20 of 28 Posts