Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking into purchasing and installing advanced running boards for my 2010 MDX.

I inspected the mounting points for the running boards and it appears that have some rust on them since I have 105k miles. I am wondering if anyone else has installed running boards with a higher mileage MDX and run into any issues with the install due to rust on the mounting points.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
336 Posts
If it's only surface rust you probably shouldn't have any issues. If it's structural, well then I would pass.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, Jon. It appears to be surface rust on the threads for the screws. I will probably give it a go.

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I'd probably give them a good shot of PB-blaster or similar a few days ahead and maybe run the bolts in/out before actually mounting them up.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I installed mine at 90k, Michigan car all it's life do plenty of corrosion.

I tried to PB Blast the holes and I ended up cross threading the first bolt due to rust in the female threads.

I didn't want to chance the rest so I used a tap/dye set to chase out all the threads of lingering rust. Even then, do not over tighten the bolts. If you manhandle it, it can be easy to strip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback guys. I got the passenger side on but drivers side is a no go. I am going to have the mounts welded on just to be safe.

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Alpine003 - I decided to give the tap a try and it worked like a charm for the drivers side. I wish I had had it for the passenger side. Tapped them and the bolts went right in. I am going to redo some on the other side.

Thanks for the solution!

For others searching this is what the tap looks like. Just need to get the right size for the bolt:

Matt

·
Registered
798 Posts
Glad it worked out. I have two bolts that aren't on super tight as it's partially stripped. Unfortunately it took me a couple tries before I broke out my tap.

I recommend it to anyone that's not able to either finger thread it or if the bolt is fighting to go in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts