Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to add running boards to my new mdx. Anyone know where to buy them low cost?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I can't believe Tim had to answer this one himself -- must be a first. Where is everyone today?!?

Almost all of us buy our gear from Tim. Lowest prices, free shipping, honest & friendly...You can't go wrong.

Now, someone other than a moderator chime in here so jdvorin doesn't think we're railroading him! :rolleyes:

BTW you can do a
for "accessories" or "hondacuraworld" and check out some of the discussions on pricing and service.

·
Registered
181 Posts
TheWorm said:

Almost all of us buy our gear from Tim. Lowest prices, free shipping, honest & friendly...You can't go wrong.

Now, someone other than a moderator chime in here so jdvorin doesn't think we're railroading him! :rolleyes:
Gotta agree with TheWorm...OEM equipment, free shipping and best prices around. You can't go wrong. And if you call him and get a chance to talk to him when you order, you'll find he's a real nice guy too!!!:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Done and Done

I have purchased my boards from Tim, of course. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm ordering running boards tonight. Although I don't really need them to get in/out, they do make it easier to wash/wax the roof. ;)

We'll actually, I went to Tim's site first, and then I thought:
What else should I buy?
So here I am replying to these posts.
Hmm, I think there were some remotes for the December special ...
I think I'll reply to that post. No wait, I'll order stuff first. :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Running Board Installation Tips

I figure someone will ask for tips on how to install the running boards so here they are:

Refer to the installation instructions that come with the running boards (Pub # AI BII21503).

I guess the moderators should review this for correctness and then post it under the tips section.

Note that all work was done on a free-standing MDX (no jacks required).

Additional Tools:

Makita cordless drill
Socket adapter (attaches to 13mm Socket so that it can be used with the Makita)
Flex-shaft for Makita.
Socket extension bar (allows socket wrench and torque wrench to clear brackets)
#0 Phillips screwdriver
Putty knife
13mm Box wrench (I used a ¼ inch ratchet but a box wrench would have been better)

Installation Steps 1 &2:
 Pre-assemble all the brackets first.
 Clamp the middle piece in a Panavise (or similar clamp with plastic jaws and a rotating head).
 Align bracket B. Insert screws.
 Align bracket A. Insert screws.
 Use a Makita (or equivalent) to fasten bolts to nuts. There’s 48 sets of nuts and bolts you need to fasten so make it easy by using a tool. With a Panavise, you can fasten one side, rotate the assembly, and do the other side.
 Note that the Front Brackets are different from the Center and Rear Brackets.

Installation Step 3:
 Note that the mounting holes near the doors are covered by a plastic plug. Six on each side. To remove them you need to use the #0 Phillips to push the center in and use the putty knife to pry out each plug.
 Use a long flange bolt to test/clear all the threads in the mounting holes.
 Follow the instructions.
 I found that it was easiest to fasten an inside bolt first and then an outside bolt for each bracket.
 It is important not to thread the bolts in too far because the extra “play” is needed to allow mounting of the running board in Step 4.

Installation Step 4:
 Note that the bolts were pre-installed on my boards.

Installation Step 5:
 I used my Makita to tighten them using the lowest clutch setting. For the front bolts I had to use a flex-shaft.
 I did a final tightening with the torque wrench with an extension.

Installation Step 6:
 I did a final tightening with the torque wrench on the outside and a wrench on the inside of the bracket.
 For the outside bolts I sat with my legs under the MDX and tightened by touch.
 For the inside bolts I had to lie on my side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts