Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here. Nice site! Have a 2014 Subaru 3.6R with everything but rear DVD (great car). Looking to sell it and get something older and less expensive. Have my eye on a 09 MDX w/tech. Doctor owned, dealer maintained (waiting on service records). Unfortunately it has 175,000 on it. Having read about the issues with transmissions makes part of me want to run. Other 1/2 says get the car cheap. Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Hi and Welcome!
What issues of transmissions? the 2G (2007-2013) MDX does not have any transmission issues..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could be wrong but I thought I read - in this forum - about trannys that had not been serviced were prone to failure, and not necessarily with a bunch of miles on them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My bad....did a transmission problems search and found out that it was the G1 cars that had issues. G2 models seem to be solid. They say that the mind is the first thing to go..........

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I will be more concerned about maintenance as bad maintenance can lead to several things failing down the road that have very little to do with the car quality and reliability.. The joys of buying used I guess? But hardly the cars fault. Just worth mentioning as there has been new used owners that bad mouth the MDX from being bad when the reality is the car has been badly maintained.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Regardless as to whether they have known problems (they don't), transmissions on average don't last much more than the mileage it has now. If it's been maintained perfectly and not abused, there's a good chance it will go longer. But I'd never buy a vehicle with that many miles and not budget for a transmission in the near future.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Honda Autos in general last around 300K before normal wear makes the clutch packs spin... Even on the glass made B7XA transmissions the overall life span is well above 250K when they don't crap out from the internal design flaw.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the input. Looks like this car was dealer maintained and done at the proper intervals. Trans fluid changed 3 times, diff fluid same. Not sure yet if brake system has been flushed and filled. Plan is to buy it right and put another 50K on it then give it to one of my kids if it's still safe. Has anyone heard of a G2 MDX with over 250K on it?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Honda Autos in general last around 300K before normal wear makes the clutch packs spin... Even on the glass made B7XA transmissions the overall life span is well above 250K when they don't crap out from the internal design flaw.

Have a documented source? I can see it being the high end of the life span but far from the norm/average. By that logic there would have to be a measurable number of 400k+ mile transmissions rolling around. Even if 300k was average, you'd be a fool to not budget for a replacement long before that.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Acurazine has a lot of user made polls in where they ask mileage related lifespan.. This site only covers MDXs but Acurazine covers all Acura cars thus the traffic is well above this site. So the average lifespan is 300K.

Reactions: 97trophy

·
Registered
793 Posts
Regarding failures of the 2nd gen...isn't there an issue with (some) burning oil?
Something about, some sort of Nikasil coating, on the cylinder walls.

Can the 3.7 v6 be sent out, bored, and be re-sleeved, while keeping the original piston size?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
^ That problem is prevalent on +2010 models, OP wants to buy a 09 which is not prone to oil burning issues.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Acurazine has a lot of user made polls in where they ask mileage related lifespan.. This site only covers MDXs but Acurazine covers all Acura cars thus the traffic is well above this site. So the average lifespan is 300K.
Send a link if you have one. I would imagine it's still a statistically insignificant number of participants for a brand that sells 150k-200k units per year. I did a search of their site but didn't see anything notable pop up. I have a fairly large biz fleet (200+ vehicles) and it's nearly impossible to find good data even with various fleet management subscriptions. Most documented data stops at 3-4 years and you also have the fact that the vast majority of vehicles never see anything north of 200k miles anyway. I'll bet actuarial data used for extended warranties doesn't even answer this question since most don't go much above 120k miles.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Fleet data would be inconsequential as they are often pushed very hard and or get a lot city miles which are the worst kind of miles for transmissions, Screwing the trans lifespan data numbers over a short period of time... Just look at Yellow Cab Taxis and their Rebuild rate of transmissions they do not represent Private Ownership standards at all.

As for the forum links well It would take me a lot of time to gather all the threads created for that regard as its often the Noob´s No.1 question: "How long do these "Add car name here" lasts".. They are simply too many threads with lots of responses over the years..

In any case.
200K transmission lifespan sounds awfully low for any modern car under Private Ownership standards, Perhaps domestics are hitting that low milestone but not my Hondas... I would not own any car that I have to rebuild the trans at the 200K mark.

You can see some Honda High Mileage Transmissions in here: https://highmileclub.wordpress.com/tag/honda/

An example:
"Regarding the Accord, the oil was changed every 7 to 9 thousand miles at the dealership for the first 570,000 miles or*so. I then started doing them myself, still using Honda’s recommended 5W-20. It does consume some oil, to the tune of about 1 quart every 1k or so. The automatic transmission fluid was changed at the dealership once every year (about every 50-60k). It still runs strong and quiet, and the engine and transmission are still original. Neither have been rebuilt."

> I would say that "Consume some oil" at the rate of 1q every 1k is not something ideal though.. That is Acura standard of: "You need a new block" but at 579,000 miles it has very much earn its rebuild..

So I stick with the 300K Average.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.