Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Does RPM is the measurement revolution of the crankshaft pulley?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve worked with cars that have the crankshaft position sensor using as the rpm meter, which would make absolute sense to me. Google could probably tell you where the measurement is coming from on the X

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
This question is a bit confusing...

Are you asking how/where the tachometer measures RPM on your MDX?

Or are you asking what RPM represents?

RPM represents crankshaft Revolutions Per Minute.

The crankshaft position sensor uses "hall effect" to sense the rotation of the crankshaft. It is located at the rear of the engine, and is accessed from beneath.

·
Registered
268 Posts
This question is a bit confusing...

Are you asking how/where the tachometer measures RPM on your MDX?

Or are you asking what RPM represents?

RPM represents crankshaft Revolutions Per Minute.

The crankshaft position sensor uses "hall effect" to sense the rotation of the crankshaft. It is located at the rear of the engine, and is accessed from beneath.

I figured he was asking what measures it... maybe?

·
Registered
268 Posts
That makes TWO of us confused!- while I don't know what the heck RPM's are, my guess is it has something to do with one of those gauges in the video! :grin:

Rpm stands for revolutions per minute. In this case, we’re talking about the engine rpm, in thousands. Because the engine spins at over 700 times a minute at idle, we use the scale ‘rpmx100’ kn the dash. What 2011 is asking about is where do we get the measurement for the dash, I would assume...

Learn something new everyday!

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rpm stands for revolutions per minute. In this case, we’re talking about the engine rpm, in thousands. Because the engine spins at over 700 times a minute at idle, we use the scale ‘rpmx100’ kn the dash. What 2011 is asking about is where do we get the measurement for the dash, I would assume...

Learn something new everyday!

Thank, conboss. I know what is RPM but wasn’t sure where is the hall sensor located and what part of the engine is measured. So what we are seeing on the gauge is the RPM of the crankshaft spinning?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thank, conboss. I know what is RPM but wasn’t sure where is the hall sensor located and what part of the engine is measured. So what we are seeing on the gauge is the RPM of the crankshaft spinning?

Correct, I don’t know exactly where the hall sensor is on this car. I’d be looking at front and rear of the engine, seeing if I could see somethjng.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Correct, I don’t know exactly where the hall sensor is on this car. I’d be looking at front and rear of the engine, seeing if I could see somethjng.
I posted the diagram, earlier in this thread.

Its at the rear of the engine, accessible from underneath.

·
Registered
870 Posts
That makes TWO of us confused!- while I don't know what the heck RPM's are, my guess is it has something to do with one of those gauges in the video! :grin:
You might be BSing, but I'll bite.

RPM=revolutions per minute ( of the crankshaft ), or speed at which the engine is running. The car moves at a rate determined by engine speed, transmission gear ratio, final drive ratio, and diameter of the tires, all in direct proportion.

Back in the olden days, when cars and trucks had manual transmissions and drivers had to know something about how the silly things worked, a tachometer was a pretty essential piece of equipment. If you didn't feather the clutch enough when you were starting from a stop, and the engine speed dropped too low, the engine would stall. If you ran the engine speed up too high by not shifting when you should, internal parts of the engine would start flying up through the hood of the car. ( This was known as "throwing a rod", referring to the connecting rods of the pistons, since those were especially effective as projectiles ). That was bad.

These days, with "smart" automatic transmissions and computerized control of everything, the tachometer is mostly decoration. Kinda like the twirly thingies with the bright colors they put in front of little kids to mesmerize them. :grin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.