Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the innerwebs and the MDXers forum. The MDXers threads I've seen are a few years old and there was no definite answer. I want to check if someone has new info about this topic.

The MDX is a 2002, 217k. I am the second owner. I know the first owner. Bought it little over 3 years ago.

About 8 months ago I started noticing the RPM's jumping about 250-500rpm cruising at about 65-70mph. At that time it seldom happened. Now, it is happening about every 20 seconds and it is now noticeable at lower speeds at cruise. Everytime the rpms go down to normal fairly slow and smooth. And from what I can tell it is only happening in 5th gear.

I have no check engine light on and no codes. THere is no AT fluid leak.

So far the only things I've done is replace the 3rd/4th pressure switch and flushed the tranny fluid. Next I want to try replacing the Transmission Solenoid Unit or using something like Lucas Transmission Slip oil.

But before I do that I want to check if there is any new info out there. Is the transmission starting to slip and fail? Is the Torque Converter going bad? It the transmission solenoids going bad? Vacuum leak?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Yup sounds like the TQ is unlocking and locking while driving when it shouldn´t, Something is wrong.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just curious if you are using premium gas? I noticed with using regular fuel by accident that it really messes with the transmission causing it to hunt for gears. One solution is to just drive in D4 which will keep you out of 5th gear. Sure it will lower your MPG..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No premiun gas. I have used regular gas for almost four years; 71k miles in those four years. The rpm jumping started about 8 months ago. Today I am pulling the transmission solenoid assemblies to inspect and clean the screen filters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts