Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had a rotten egg odor come from their MDX? Is it the exhaust? Don't smell it inside, just outside, mainly near the back of the car. Thought it was the sewer or something, but it has been happening a little more often lately. Even friends ask what the smell is when they get out of the car. Doesn't happen all the time, but enough for me to ask. Thanks.:confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have encountered the same on numerous cars. I thought it was the catalytic converter smelling untill the car was warm.

·
Registered
126 Posts
newgenx said:
Has anyone else had a rotten egg odor come from their MDX? Is it the exhaust? Don't smell it inside, just outside, mainly near the back of the car. Thought it was the sewer or something, but it has been happening a little more often lately. Even friends ask what the smell is when they get out of the car. Doesn't happen all the time, but enough for me to ask. Thanks.:confused:
What kind of gas are you using, how about an additive? That is a catalytic converter smell, and since this vehicle is supposed to be a ULEV - Ultra low emissions - there might be something amiss.. I was told to use 92 octane or higher. I wish you luck, don't let this go, have the dealer check it out. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: C

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Rotten egg smell...

I have that problem all them time. I live with it by taking Beano and opening the windows. ;):19:

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
newgenx said:
My only encounters came from a passenger!!!! And it wasn't pleasant.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Re: Re: Rotten Egg Smell?

paul123 said:

Try lighting a match. That should work.:D

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
If it's not the passengers :2: , then I would do as caroline
suggests and have the dealer check it out.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Octane shouldn't matter for this problem; my guess is that something is amiss with the fuel/air mixture and/or the amount of air being fed into the catalytic converter. It definitely should be checked out. I haven't noticed that odor from a car since some of the early Chrysler minivans.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Re: Re: Rotten Egg Smell?

paul123 said:
We have three teenage boys ...

·
Registered
181 Posts
I usually blame it on the dog.

·
Registered
117 Posts
we get it that smell once in a while... we have ~3500 miles and I've smelled it 3 times.

·
Registered
31 Posts
YES! I've noticed it too! Have an appointment with the dealer already. Will ask him about this. Will let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm getting it very occasionally too-not all the time and not for long, but it's definitely a catalytic converter smell. I was planning to mention it when we go in for the 3750 mile service which should be next month.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey guys i am new to posting on this forum, i work with tim at ray laks and the smell was just explained to me by our service manager...i was complaning about the smell from my rsx-s and was told that the smell was from a build up of sulfur throughout the exhaust system by not getting into the vtec enough...so i guess the answer is to drive the vtec hard to "clean it out"...well thats what i was told, maybe tim will have a more techincal explination...but anyways i hope this helps!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just bought an '04 and I have this same smeel pretty regularly. Did anyone figure out if this can be fixed?

Let me know! I read the Honda letter from another post, but I have to some '03 owners who have never experienced the smell and others who have it all the time. This can't be expected if it is hit and miss with cars. There must be something wrong to be causing that smell on only some cars.

Help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
not sure if i'd describe our bad smell as rotten egg...but noses are different

i think we've traced ours to the rubber on the underside of the floormats...if we take the mats out, the smell goes away

obviously not all the mats have 'bad' rubber, but we're getting new ones from the dealer

Mike
2003 MDX

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mine gets it every once in a while! I know its not someone in the car cuz I'm the only one in it, and I would take credit for something that fowl! It is definitely the Catalytic-converter sulfur smell. I will try driving it harder for a week or 2 and see if that helps. I will be getting the oil changed in about a month and will bring it up if it persist.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts