Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Tech
125 Posts
Interesting that Acura had to do something to the rotor to help with judder. I don’t understand why they’re so plagued with judder issues. I had 2 RDX’s that had the issue.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Another reason to love the discontinued hybrid and why it was an insane value for only $1500 more.

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
756 Posts
Thats not uncommon. New cars in an effort to save weight make lots of componenrs lighter/thinner.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Good info.

I haven't had a rotor turned in a long time anyway - anymore they're best just replaced when it comes time to do the brakes. Rotors are relatively inexpensive.

I had some Judder from the brakes on my 2014 MDX but not enough to worry about. I finally did a brake job on it and the judder is gone. I used AC/Delco rotors.

·
Registered
372 Posts
the rotors on the last 4 vehicles I've had were not machinable. Really wasn't an issue since anymore brake pads and rotors have gone well past 100K before service was needed. Truck has 250K miles with original rotors and original pads. Pads still have 25% or more left before they hit the wear limit.

And cost of turning the rotors was more than new OEM rotors anyway.

·
Registered
112 Posts
This is a non-issue. Most cars now do not have machinable rotors anymore just to get as close to minimum weight as they can.

On top of that, hybrids don't wear the brakes as much as non-hybrids. my CR-Z pads and rotors were only 50% through their service life after 130,000 miles. Teslas are having issues with the brake pads failing due to corroded backing plates while they still have 90% left on the pads.

·
Registered
372 Posts
with the advent of much larger wheels, which allows much larger rotors, and improvements in brake pad material and rotor material, It's almost a "lifetime" part. GM 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have regularly been going 250K + miles on stock brake pads and rotors since early 2000. My son's 2004.5 has almost 250K miles and the pads are maybe 75% worn down to the wear limit. And that's with towing close to 10,000 lbs about 1/2 the time. And the rotors have a very minor grove showing wear. My 97 MB had over 100K miles on the pads and rotors and look like they will easily go another 100K miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts