Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to change the rotors on my 2015 MDX and after 80K miles and a lot of snow driving in the the rust belt I am dreading removing the retaining screws, I am pretty sure I will have to drill them out. As I was gathering my tools I remembered that I broke the only two PH3 bits I had for my manual impact driver taking off my 08 Accord's rotors and I just realized I didn't replace them so I need to buy a new set which is about $10

However I have since acquired an air hammer for another home improvement job I needed it for and I came across an attachment called "Shake-N-Break" and then I found the below video reviewing and using it. It's $50 (more than the air hammer and all my bits) but is it worth it? Gosh, it looks so easy and I sort of want it but I'd use it so infrequently, I'd almost put the retaining screws back on just so I can use it again if I bought it.

Autozone didn't have my pads in stock for the warranty replacement so I am delayed a day which means I am now delayed, I cannot get to the job until next week or the week after now.

Is it worth $50?
Anyone use this and does it work (I am always skeptical of paid tool reviews)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I wouldn't bother. You can always drill the screw heads off for free. Many people don't even reinstall them, as they're not necessary. They exist solely to make assembly easier/faster in the factory, I believe.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sometimes I get lucky with a manual impact driver - my Accord fronts came right out, the rears were seized and they broke the bits - I had to drill them out. I was planning on drilling them out or maybe use the air hammer to see if the flat punch can knock it loose to manual turn or take the blunt pointed tip to notch turn them out.

I put the screws back in on my CR-V and Odyssey and I regretted it when I have to replace the rotors a 2nd time on the Odyssey they were just too rusty, If you do put them back you should use new ones with anti-seize. In my area after about two weeks those rotors become seized to the hub so no risk of them falling off when you remove the tires.

But this tool is so tempting.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Easy pass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts