Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an 18 cubic ft Jegs rooftop unit. It says it requires the crossbars to be 24” apart. Which they are.

This is my first time using a rooftop box like this and it just seems like the nose of the unit would be getting too much wind underneath if that makes sense?

Or am I over worrying..?

Thanks in advance!
Automotive carrying rack Hood Vehicle Tree Automotive lighting

Wheel Plant Car Vehicle Hood

Plant Vehicle Hood Tree Shade

Tire Wheel Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
401 Posts
Nobody asked for opinions buddy. I asked if the placement is okay on the crossbars. Wtf are you talking about..

You have waited all year to comment about your Thule that nobody cares about lmao :ROFLMAO:
Or....

This is an 18 cubic ft Jegs rooftop unit. It says it requires the crossbars to be 24” apart. Which they are.

This is my first time using a rooftop box like this and it just seems like the nose of the unit would be getting too much wind underneath if that makes sense?

Or am I over worrying..?

Thanks in advance!
You were right in your assumption that it will have too much windage, noisy, hurting mileage, and its a piece of crap. Return it and buy something better. This roofbox is for 20 year old subaru outbacks

You even thanked me in advance.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just buy a decent box. Look at CL for used Thule or similar, sometimes people get rid of them cheap.

Even older model Thule will look far better than what you've got going on here.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Some thing I had to get use to with my Yakima Rocketbox on my previous 2nd Gen MDX was:

• bugs bouncing off the bottom of the roof box and having bug gut all over the sun roof glass (do not drive with sunroof glass open with a roof box)
  • passing 18 wheelers and getting buffing and shaking
  • buffing and vehicle shaking on windy days and with gusty cross winds
  • I probably took a hit on mpgs; but, the 2nd Gen MDX mpgs are not that great at 80 mph anyways
  • always having to plan ahead for parking garage height limits (box was around 1 inch under 7 feet
  • wife too short at 4'11" to get anything in/out of the roof box or help put it on.

I ended up switching to a hitch mounted StowAway Max swing out carrier and that eliminated all the above issues.

Reactions: IanCH

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Or....

You were right in your assumption that it will have too much windage, noisy, hurting mileage, and its a piece of crap. Return it and buy something better. This roofbox is for 20 year old subaru outbacks

You even thanked me in advance.
Sorry I still don’t see where I asked for your opinion. But after some further research it will actually do just fine as is on placement!

Not a chance I’d overpay for a Thule unit. If I used it every single day I would maybe give it a few seconds of thought. I’ll stick with this Jegs unit. Has over 200 5-star reviews!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sorry I still don’t see where I asked for your opinion. But after some further research it will actually do just fine as is on placement!

Not a chance I’d overpay for a Thule unit. If I used it every single day I would maybe give it a few seconds of thought. I’ll stick with this Jegs unit. Has over 200 5-star reviews!

Thanks guys!

Your box looks really great. Have a safe trip.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I believe the spec is meant to indicate that the rails must be ‘at least’ 24” apart, not ‘exactly’ 24” apart. I agree with your concern that the nose of the box is likely to catch air and wobble like mad. I just checked my rails (2007) and they are 32” apart for an INNO low profile box (low garage) and I have the front rail set about as far forward as it will go to reduce nose lift. I’ve travelled thousands of miles to ski and vacation destinations with this setup and zero issues. One tip, secure the box a day or two ahead, then go back after you’ve driven a bit and check to make sure everything is still tight. Sometimes they can settle in and need an additional tightening.

·
Registered
223 Posts

Or am I over worrying..?

No, I don't think you're over worrying. The principles of aerodynamics alone say that at any freeway speed, there's going to be a lot of wind pressure below that box (forcing it upward). Especially considering the mounting support is mid-way and to the rear.

Every other cargo carrier I've seen has the airflow continue from the windshield over the box. See below.

I personally would not take that on the freeway for any extended period of time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for the replies (y) I’ll see if it meant they had to be “exactly” 24” apart or just “at least” 24” apart. I could be mistaken which would make more sense. If I can push the front crossbar forward ~8” I would feel a lot better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts