Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What other brands of roof top carrier are there besides Thule and Yakima? I'm looking for one that will fit the '02 X standard roof rack. I don't like the soft carriers although I know they're much cheaper. I'm trying to find one that's cheaper than Thule as I'll not use it that often.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
738 Posts
nysimonsez said:
What other brands of roof top carrier are there besides Thule and Yakima? I'm looking for one that will fit the '02 X standard roof rack. I don't like the soft carriers although I know they're much cheaper. I'm trying to find one that's cheaper than Thule as I'll not use it that often.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Any carrier that is designed for universal fit will do. Both the Thule and Yakima and many others are this way, they have an oval or slightly v-shaped clamp to go on anything, round bars, square bars, aero bars like the MDX Touring. They also usually have either multiple, or adjustible mount spacing for fixed position roof racks, ie. Touring.
So instead of looking for carriers with universal mounts, it may be easier to choose a carrier you like, then confirm if it has universal mounts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a soft-side carrier I've used on my Jeep for years and it worked terrific. However, due to the strange spacing and non-adjusting MDX roof rack, that bag wouldn't work well at all.

So, I purchased a Thule Evolution 1600 and am actually going to pick it up later today. I spoke with Thule and it is supposed to fit fine with the 2002 MDX. We'll see. If you're interested, I'll take a couple photos and let you know how the fit and install goes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thule Excursion

I just got the Thule Excursion a couple of weeks ago. I paid about $250.00 for it. I did have to drill two additional holes in it to fit the 2001 rack spacing. Since the 2002 racks are closer together you probably wouldn't even have to do that. I chose it because I did not want a long box - I didn't want it to stick over the windshield and I didn't want it to get in the way of the open hatch. I am surprised how much stuff it will hold in 13 cu ft. Doesn't sound like a lot of space but it is quite roomy. If you aren't carrying skis or snowboard I would highly recommend it.

Wade

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just returned from the Thule dealer -- he forgot to order the specific brackets for the MDX, so I have to wait till Tuesday. Hope it works well since I'm leaving Wednesday on a trip with it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just ordered a Thule Evolution 1600 for my 2002 MDX. Price $348. they are expensive, but think it will suit my need. Will post when I get it mounted.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info everyone. Actually I'm looking for a box that would not intrude (not too much at least) into the sunroof opening and the rear hatch or the antenna.

Wamiller - where'd you get the excursion? If you can post some pics when it's mounted, especially from inside the vehicle looking out of the sunroof. How long is it diagonally inside. I think it may be my choice. Besides ordering the box, what else do I need to mount it? Any other hardware I may need to get?

What about the Yakima space cadet? Looks very similar to the excursion. Anyone has it?

I'm going to get it right after I take delivery of my X, anxiously waiting....:2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thule Excursion

I live in the DFW area and got the box at Mariner Sails in Dallas. I found them by doing the 'dealer locator' option on www.thule.com. I won't be putting it back on for a couple of weeks but when I do I will post a couple of pics. I didn't need any extra hardware to mount it - the provided brackets worked fine. The size is 55 x 35. Not sure about the diagonal and it is currently in the (very hot) attic. I will measure it the next time I am up there...

It does extend several inches over the sun roof but does not hit the antenna in the back. Since the front rail on the '02 is further back, this would be less of an issue for you I think. I would have mounted it further back but was afraid to violate the warning about centering it on the rails. I cheated it back a couple of inches but didn't want to overdo it.

Wade

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yakima Space Cadet

Just got mine. I like this version as it is side opening (easy to load) and is short enough that you can open the lift gate all the way. It was a little more than the Excursion but I feel the hardware is better. The Excursion model did not open that much maybe about 35 degrees from closed so it looked hard to load (rear loading). Had to drill two additional holes to place it where I wanted it. also, it does not impede on the sunroof that much. If I have time I will post some pics.. Going to whistler BC started my sabbatical. So I will be cruising the Pacific Northwest with my family.. :D :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yakima Space Cadet works great

I picked mine up a couple of weeks ago and I just got to use it this weekend. It works great. It does not block the sunroof, it does not impede opening the rear, and best of all, you DO NOT have to drill holes to make it fit on the racks. It fits like a charm.

It does make a little noise at higher speeds (somewhere around 75 to 80 mph), but it was very stable, even at 90 mph. I would recommend this cargo carrier.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Also...

I've done a fair amount of research on cargo carriers, and I would have preferred a soft carrier, but the problem is that they have to sit flush on the roof, and the racks just are not far enough apart to allow that if you want any one with any size at all.

I was told if it did not sit flush that air would get underneath, and it gets ugly after that. FYI.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: Also...

Only_Acura said:
I've done a fair amount of research on cargo carriers, and I would have preferred a soft carrier, but the problem is that they have to sit flush on the roof, and the racks just are not far enough apart to allow that if you want any one with any size at all.

I was told if it did not sit flush that air would get underneath, and it gets ugly after that. FYI.
That was exactly my problem with my existing soft side cargo bag. The bag had actually worked superbly with my Jeep; one of the few good things about the Jeep was an adjustable roof rack.:5:

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
wait4mdx said:
Has anyone considered a "gear basket" carrier (like Yakima Load Warrior http://www.yakima.com/products/dynamic/8007070_6.html) combined with a watertight "bag" http://www.yakima.com/products/dynamic/8007073_6.html to put your luggage inside of? Seems like a lot of versatility with a setup like this. There are many other brands, too.
I considered it, but my problem was cost. After researching the soft carrier extensively, the one I wanted was about $275, and then the basket was another $300, and I just didn't want to spend that kind of money. And after the way the Space Cadet worked, I'm glad I made the decision to go that route instead. JMHO. But thanks for the thought just the same.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks very much for the useful info. The reason I was looking for the diagonal measurement inside the box is because I want to fit a pole inside the box in addition to my gear and I want to get a box that would fit the pole. I'll most likely go with the Space Cadet or Excursion, depending on which one will fit the 5 ft pole. If neither would fit then I'll need to consider another type box.

thanks again. Yes pics of the mounted box would be great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts