Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. This is my first post to the forum. I have a 2011 MDX that my wife has had for a few years. It did not come with rails when I purchased it. i am looking to get some rails and crossbars for it as we have 2 kids and a German Shepherd we often travel with. This will open up some more storage as we often take trips to the coast and are looking to start camping.

What suggestions or experiences do you have? Should I go with some OEM or aftermarket? Should I get something I will have to drill in and add permanently, or something that I can take off and on?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I have both OEM trailer hitch with harness and OEM roof rails on my 11 MDX. I have a Yakima Rocketbox roof box, StowAway2 MAX swing out cargo carrier, and 4 bike rack. Having the rear hitch gets more use and has more flexibility for me compared to the roof rails. The issue I have with roof storage is:
- height limits at around 7 feet. I have to call ahead to make sure covered garages at hotels are A-OK or be aware of any other drive thru height limitations
- wind noise
- mpg hit
- acts like a sail with cross winds or passing big trucks sometimes
- I'm the only one tall enough to put stuff in/out or mount the roof box

I like my swing out cargo carrier because it doesn't hit my MPGs, no wind noise, no worries about height, and my wife can access items. The only downsides are the cargo carrier can block your rear lights, block back-up lights at night, can't put really long items in hitch boxes, and back-up camera view is blocked. Adding a hitch (with or without a harness) and a cargo tray would be the easiest.

Took a cross country 2 week trip and I needed to use both the roof box and cargo carrier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input mrgold.

I don't think the cargo box would work for me. I am trying to put a canopy, tent, up top and maybe a couple kayak's and fishing poles here and there. Don't think it would fit in the cargo box. I do however like the pros of it not affecting mpg's and easily accessible. Both my wife and I are short.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
You might have to go aftermarket with something from Yakima or Thule with extra wide crossbars. The OEM cross bars are only wide enough for one roof cargo box or two roof mounted bikes, or one kayak. I've seen the Yakima/Thule systems that are easy on/off attachments with no drilling and extra wide for 2X the roof carry capacity for wider items. You are still limited to the MDX max roof weight of 165 lbs total even if the aftermarket can do +200 lbs.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Thanks for the input mrgold.

I don't think the cargo box would work for me. I am trying to put a canopy, tent, up top and maybe a couple kayak's and fishing poles here and there. Don't think it would fit in the cargo box. I do however like the pros of it not affecting mpg's and easily accessible. Both my wife and I are short.
A couple years ago I conceded that my broken back isn't getting any less broken with age, and I bought a Yakima Rack-and-Roll trailer. Crossbars on wheels. Not cheap, but probably the best $3k I've spent in a while. There are less expensive trailer options, but the idea is wide load bars, low to the ground = life is good. Use any attachments you want. We cart around our family's 4 kayaks on J-mounts, but a couple of kayaks and a big cargo box and maybe even a couple bikes would work too. I first saw one at a local kayak outfitter, and I was like "why didn't I think of that sooner?". No wind noise, no MPG hit, no sail in cross winds, no paranoid looking up to see if the mounts are secure. It rides in the slipstream and I barely know it's there except when I have to back up. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I am going to go with the Thule Traverse Aeroblade, or something very similar. Do ya'll know of any discounts be it forum, military, whatever, that I could take advantage of?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts