Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up a 2020 A-Spec this week. Need the trailer hitch for a bike rack (3-4 bikes) and may also want the roof rails for a roof box down the road. Dealer says accessories installed at purchase are warrantied with the vehicle, but if I install them later, they are only warrantied for a year. Not too concerned about them failing as much as any work related to the installation affecting the vehicle after a year or I somehow F it up by going DIY. Instructions indicate the covers need to be removed and cut. Not sure if that is only for DIY or the dealer must also do the same. I assume those covers are one of those unnecessarily expensive useless parts that will far outweigh any savings I may achieve by waiting or going DIY. Am I over thinking this and should I just pull the trigger? FYI I’m also getting 15% off the bottom line for the accessories with installation.

For the hitch, I don’t plan to ever tow anything and will only use a bike rack and possibly a hitch mounted storage box. Will I need the wiring harness for either of those? I’ve seen bike racks that have brake lights and not sure if it 100% optional or required in some areas. I’m in NJ and will mostly travel to PA and NY.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Congrats!!

If your car didn't comes with the roof rail when it exit the factory, dealer is very likely using the same installation instruction like us, for the cutting on the roof rail cover, don't worry too much, the required cutting length is marginal, which means you can install it with length of 17inch and 16-3/4inch, measure the length, and mark it with masking tape before cutting, you won't go wrong, I used hand saw to finished the job in less than an hour, there are also detail videos on YouTube for the complete installation.

I also installed the hitch for bike rack, I didn't install the harness, so far, I haven't seen anyone's bike rack equipped with brake light, I am pretty sure brake light is not required as ppl still see your brake lights when bikes are loaded. NJ has a lot of good mountain biking trail.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would have your dealer install the roof rails to keep that part covered under warranty. The OEM hitch is a super easy DIY project on the other hand. Really looks nice too. I will upload a few pics of my Thule bike rack I bought so you can see attached to my MDX...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
That must be a change for OEM accessories? Previously, if installed by the dealership at anytime, they are covered by the same 4/50k basic warranty. No warranty coverage if DYI.

I did the OEM hitch+harness for my 4 platform bike rack and swing out cargo carrier (Saris Freedom SuperClamp 4, Stowaway2 Max). I ended up adding Aux 4-way lights to my 4 platform bike carrier because my two 4" fat tire ebikes blocked the rear lights (even harder to see the MDX lights when I have 4 bikes on carrier).

Magnetic Mount LED flat 4 tail light kit, Amazon, $80:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hitch is dead simple to install. But it goes much faster with two people. You need a specific size socket, but again no big deal. Do the wiring harness. You may never need it, but then again you may want to tow a small utility trailer sometime in the future. Adding the harness later dictates the hitch will have to come back off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts