Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
For the skeptics - didn't completely remove the trim. Just propped it up, put a protective rubber mat underneath and then cut with a Dremel (fiberglass re-inforced cutting tool). Once the initial cut was made, I could easily cut the rest of the trim into the prescribed lengths. Super easy. Took about 30-45 minutes per side.
That's pretty much how the instructions recommend it's done - not removing the trim completely is explicitly stated.

Cutting it in place, I read as, not even popping it out of the gutter.

Anyway, good going.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
For the skeptics - didn't completely remove the trim. Just propped it up, put a protective rubber mat underneath and then cut with a Dremel (fiberglass re-inforced cutting tool). Once the initial cut was made, I could easily cut the rest of the trim into the prescribed lengths. Super easy. Took about 30-45 minutes per side.
I'm happy to be proved wrong, when it means things worked out. Good job.:29:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great thread! I am trying to find the cheapest price for the roof rails available online, as well as side steps and trailer hitch!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Great thread! I am trying to find the cheapest price for the roof rails available online, as well as side steps and trailer hitch!
Trailer Hitch - look for some of my other posts alongside others who bought ours from eTrailer.com and are very happy.

Side Steps - look for another post I started about aftermarket running boards and such. I bought a set of Nerf Bars for slightly over $110 and am very happy with them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi!

I want to buy roof rails to my MDX 2009. They don't have to be new but in good condition. ;) The problem is that I'm from Europe... Can you help me? Do you know any website where can I order roof rails and they send me it to Europe? Maybe some of you would like to sell and has the ability to send abroad?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
2011 MDX
Finally installed Black Roof Rack and Advanced Running Boards (got them from Curry Acura..) and installed trailer hitch and wiring.. all in one weekend..

Roof rack was easy enough.. popped the gutter trim up just past the front mounts (66") and cut it off with a dremel tool.
Then cut the next two pieces with hack saw on the workbench
24.75" and 24". It really doesn't have to be exact as long as they are long enough to be covered up by the rack feet.
Hack saw was much faster then the small dremel I had but dremel was safer to use while working on the roof.

This forum definitely has the info one needs to feel comfortable tackling these jobs.. Thanks everyone for the input.

Speaking of roof rack.. it has T-slot channel on the inside edge.. I assume is for the OEM crossbars (I will get Thule 450). Anyone know of any other accessories that slide n that T-slot - e.g. tie down loops, etc... and where to get them?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did it myself the other day...about 2 hrs worth of work. Here is result.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Installation in Orange County, SoCal

Hello Folks,

I am in SoCal and planning to become a proud owner of a 2012 MDX Advance soon.

Does anyone know any mobile shop / contact in Orange County, CA who could do the installation of roof rails and running boards for me ?

~A

·
Registered
32 Posts
2014 Advance MDX comes with roof rails pre-installed. For the running board, you can installed them yourself easy. It only takes about one hour to install both sides.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hello Folks,

I am in SoCal and planning to become a proud owner of a 2012 MDX Advance soon.

Does anyone know any mobile shop / contact in Orange County, CA who could do the installation of roof rails and running boards for me ?

~A
OEM Auto Shop, LLC
2071 E Lambert Rd
La Habra, CA 90631
(562) 691-9890
oemautoshop.com
Contacts: Calvin & Quan

Calvin was an Acura tech, and Quan was a shop foreman.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for all the tips guys!

Followed the consensus here and installed the factory side rails and a set of Thule AeroBlades on my 2103 Advance. Took me less than 2 hours, and I am glad that I double-checked all of the measurements before I started. Acura has a conversion error in their MM to Inches on the 2013 installation instructions (see attached)...

Here's a shot of the finished product, you guys saved me several hundred dollars of dealership overcharges, so mucho gracias!

-Mojo

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bringing it Back!

First post on the forum!!!! Thanks for the correction on the measurements.

I just bought a 2011 and am adding roof rails next week. Called the Acura dealer and they wanted $260 to install them...I laughed and said that I didn't need the rails just the install. He laughed right back and stated that WAS just the install cost. What!!?? I called a Honda dealership and they stated if they are OEM, $119...so funny. Will just do them myself.

I ended up getting the Thule AeroBlade load bars with Rapid Crossroad foot pack to be able to adjust the bars. I like the low profile look of the AeroBlade Edge bars but I just don't like the fact that you surface area due to the integrated feet.

Has anyone used a Dremel to cut the molding, instructions say not to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I went ahead and got it done...the measurements they give you are too funny. They do not have to be as precise as they are as the rails cover up the gaps pretty well.

I used a combo of a Dremel and hacksaw to get it done. The cut does chew up the fiber glass cutting wheel rather quickly and make sure you have a good 32 tooth blad for your hacksaw. Also, be careful pulling up the trim. I had one bend on me but fortunately it was a discarded piece.

Overall, it was pretty easy...just have to be patient. I added Thule bars as I wanted to have the option to adjust them and the OEM cross bars are fixed. These things are quiet and no road noise. I tested it on the highway at 80mph and nothing. I am going to put my Thule box on today and give that a test run...will let you know where I net out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad it worked out for ya.

As for the tint --- where do you live?
There is a place I took mine called "Window Kote" and they used Solar Gard products. It has a lifetime warranty, you can clean it with Windex (which was a no-no in the past with window tint products), took them 40 minutes to install, and cost me only $80 (tint & labor).

What's your time worth? See if you can find a comparable dealer of Solar Gard tint in your neck of the woods!

Car Window Tinting, Auto Window Tinting - Solar Gard - Dealer Locator
I´m sorry to bump quite an old thread - but just to update the info in case anyone would be interested - always check the local tint law for your state before tinting. One of the best resources about tint laws is currently this site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
installing crossbars on 2019 mdx. I tried installing them myself and feel like the bolts are too long. When screwed all the way there is too much slack and the cross bars are loose. I am sure I have the bars correctly oriented. (longer one in the front, R on the passenger side)

can someone confirm the bolt length?

Thanks in advance!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts