Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the roof rack as supplied on the Touring model ready for use, or do I need additional components? (Obviously I do for skis & bikes; I'm asking about boxy stuff like luggage.) There's no protection (like plastic strips) for the paint on the roof itself. The supplied crossbars are slightly convex, which doesn't make them a good base. Which leads me to believe I have to buy something...but what?

I'm sure this is obvious to most people, but I'm new to the SUV world. My "other" car is a Jag XK8 coupe, which has just enough storage for an aspirin tablet and a Milky Way.

Forgive me if this has been covered; a forum search for "roof rack" doesn't work, because of all the mentions in the "signature" area.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Acura does make a cargo box for around $300. . . ask tim at Hondacuraworld

·
Registered
24 Posts
Try a search under "Yakima"

Lots of good treads.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've used the roof rack "as is" and it works great for large, flat objects that span the distance between the two bars. I've considered getting the box for long trips.

·
Registered
738 Posts
tangible said:
Is the roof rack as supplied on the Touring model ready for use, or do I need additional components? (Obviously I do for skis & bikes; I'm asking about boxy stuff like luggage.) There's no protection (like plastic strips) for the paint on the roof itself. The supplied crossbars are slightly convex, which doesn't make them a good base. Which leads me to believe I have to buy something...but what?

I'm sure this is obvious to most people, but I'm new to the SUV world. My "other" car is a Jag XK8 coupe, which has just enough storage for an aspirin tablet and a Milky Way.

Forgive me if this has been covered; a forum search for "roof rack" doesn't work, because of all the mentions in the "signature" area.
The simple answer is no, you cannot use the the OEM roof rack for varying pieces of luggage without special attachments. There is a distinct lack of tie-down points to prevent straps from sliding around, and there are no front to rear rails (no rails at all) to secure from lateral movement. Whatever you secure with only straps must be compressible to provide friction grip to prevent shifting. Boxy suitcases are not good for this, although oversized dufflebags might work, until you notice the severe wrinkles inflicted by the tie down straps.

Nope, the racks are pretty much useless without an array of specialty carrier attachments like a cargo basket or enclosures, soft or hardsided.

P.S. REI always has a 20% Yakima sale in May, that's when I buy the 300-400 cargo boxes.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
laborlitigator said:
Acura does make a cargo box for around $300. . . ask tim at Hondacuraworld
Tim has previously indicated that it is too big to ship

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
That sucks. . .

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Other options available

If you are not satisfied with the lack of utility in the OEM roof rack, several options are available to create a flexible and fully functional roof rack solution for your MDX.

Some of the options that have been utilized by acuramdx.org members are as follows:

mgmdx - http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3459

TheyCallMeBruce - http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7904&highlight=Tracks+roof

TypeMDX - http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7238&highlight=Tracks+roof

There is plenty of information including detailed instructions and pictures in the above threads.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Has anyone used the the soft bags like the link to weathertech?

I was thinking of getting the one from Acura - I was quoted as 250 which i think is not a bad deal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts