Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gang, I have a 2015 MDX NAVI with 66K KMs on it. I would like to install the roof rack and rails. I checked with the dealership and they asked something to the tune of $1100 for both items. This seems very high considering it is almost a 5-year-old model. Besides, it's not like these perform some complex function or anything. Any ideas? Oh, and I should mention the reason I need them is that I want to install the Thule roof cargo box.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you need the form factor of a rooftop box then you need rails and crossbars. If you just need extra storage capacity there are cargo boxes that fit on the back of the vehicle via hitch. I have the Stowaway 2 box. It is high capacity and high quality. I love it and recommend it. It is far easier to load and unload than a rooftop box, it doesn’t affect fuel economy or create wind noise, etc. There are others here who have one and seem to be happy with it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Here's pretty much the exact same question on a thread of a few days ago (it's worth looking around on the site before posting a new thread) -

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you need the form factor of a rooftop box then you need rails and crossbars. If you just need extra storage capacity there are cargo boxes that fit on the back of the vehicle via hitch. I have the Stowaway 2 box. It is high capacity and high quality. I love it and recommend it. It is far easier to load and unload than a rooftop box, it doesn’t affect fuel economy or create wind noise, etc. There are others here who have one and seem to be happy with it.
That sounds like a great option and not having to load and unload a rooftop box is a no brainer. However, I have the Thule from before and I wish I had thought about the hitch option before :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's pretty much the exact same question on a thread of a few days ago (it's worth looking around on the site before posting a new thread) -

Thanks Man. It is literally my second post and was really excited to post I guess. So it didn’t even occur to me to look for prior posts on the same topic. Duly noted though. Cheers.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That sounds like a great option and not having to load and unload a rooftop box is a no brainer. However, I have the Thule from before and I wish I had thought about the hitch option before :(
I set out to do a rooftop cargo box. It soon became apparent that this would be no slam dunk from a car/rails/crossbars/box compatibility standpoint. Nothing is parallel and level on the roof, the OEM crossbar location isn't adjustable, there is the antenna that has to be cleared along with the lifted tailgate - these sorts of considerations. It all made me wonder just what I was going to have when it was all over. I looked for an easier alternative.

You already have a box, so you have two constraints - the car and the box. It may be that factory rails and crossbars will bring the two together with no problem. It may be that there will be a compatibility issue with your box...? I don't know what I am talking about when I say these things because I never got far enough along, so take my comments for what they are worth. But there are others here who know what the problems might be and who have posted in the past.

If I were in your boots I would read through the considerable discussion that has taken place over time before buying anything. Or post the model of your box and see if anybody has done it with your box and what their experience says about it.

As to economics, if you are open to a hitch-mounted box and you already have a hitch you could buy the large Stowaway 2 box for hardly any more than what you are going to have spent on factory rails and crossbars and you are going to have a much simpler solution to general hauling.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought the Acura OEM rails and bars online and installed them myself. Pretty easy diy, especially with a little dremmel to cut out the plastic trim you need to reinstall.

I use a Sears X-Cargo 20 on top, slightly fwd, and it fits fine. I can clear the antenna and the tailgate, @ full open, in the back. I do use two small 8" long, tapered pieces of door trim (1/2" to 3/4" taper) as shims in the back to level out the box since the cross bars are not level from front to back. I used the same box on my 2006 MDX and have been using it since 2012.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got the Thule feet for sale (off of my 2014 without roof rails). $150 + shipping. You'd need to buy the crossbars to go with it, but they're not expensive. Send me a PM if interested.

/

·
Registered
575 Posts
There are quite a few threads on roof racks, including some about boxes as well, so do look around - there is a lot of info available. Just enter "roof rack" in the Search Community box.

Personally I dislike the chromed plastic rails. Aside from the tacky look they serve no purpose except to mount the OEM crossbars. There is no way to attach a tiedown on the rails, and no adjustability. There are other approaches available. I detailed mine in this thread: https://www.mdxers.org/threads/roof-racks-a-better-option-imho.126626/#post-1176362 . While I chose Yakima parts, of course it is possible to use Thule instead. There are other DIY solutions as well.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
There is no way to attach a tiedown on the rails, and no adjustability.
I have the OEM rails/crossbars that I installed myself but dislike the aspect you pointed out - especially the lack of tie down points. It forces a jury rigged solution - not difficult but it would have been very easy for Acura to have designed them into the system.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts