Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Do a search. The mounting of Thule parts onto the factory has been discussed EXHAUSTIVELY.

Thule makes the ski/bike attachments for Acura. You can buy em directly from Thule (ie REI) Save 100%.

The Thule boxes fit also.

You also don't need "clips" nor "adapters". Simply slide the mounting bolts into the slot on the top of the factory rack.

Thule makes the racks for the VWs, and therefore you just use the "VWADAPT" kit for mounting Thule accessories onto the acura factory rack.

Really, do a search and go back to the beginning. If you only look for 30 days you'll miss it.

Ard

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Dean

You don't need brackets!

(in all likelihood...)

but hey, if you insist, put some dumbass ugly clamps around the bars....

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Dean;

I assume you haven't searched the site for the 30 or so posts on the topic.

But briefly, there is a channel in the top of the rack. When you look at it you'll see a weatherstrip in it. To remove it you pop off the side trim piece and slide out the weatherstrip. (Use a stepladder to look closely at the roof rack brackets- a screwdriver on the inside of the bracket, un der the cross bar, is needed to release these. Once you do one it will be easy.)

This channel will accept a square head bolt. Thule sells a "kit" with these in it. THULE DOESN'T "know" that they do- if you ask them they won't know. Just order "VWADAPT". If you're adventurous, weld up some out of stainless steel.

Now you will have a 1/4"x20 threaded bolt sticking up that can go into whatever you are mounting. If it is the 599xt or the 724/725/726 it should pop right on. Carriers might need a hole drilled. Nice thing with the carrier is the threaded fastener is now inside and secure.

Plus, you are using the rack like it was designed. Nice and tidy.

Ard

PS I did like the image of the car fully loaded, and the wife asking why you were going to drive out the driveway...

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I'm posting from total ignorance, so excuse me if this doesn't work.

It sounds like the clamps have two bolts, 'fore and aft' if you will.

Why not turn the upper part of the clamp 90 degrees. Then two sq head bolts would hold it to the bar, and they'd go up into the box- the existing reinforcing plate could then be used in the box. (I envision a 'half clamp' on the outside between the box and the bar, and the reinforcing plate inside.)

This might also give a bit more clearance (if needed) due to the curve of the bar. You'd need 8 square head bolts total, which should be nice and secure.

You might be able to eliminate the half clamp, and just hold the box down to the bar. Then just use a reinforceing plate.

I'd stay away from wood at least on the outside, it will swell and shrink as it gets wet and drys out, which will lead to fatigue and loosening. Even on the inside it will be affected by the damp. Aluminum plate or polymer (HDPE) would be better and are pretty easy to find.

I don't have a need for the cargo box, but probably should scope it out next time I'm in REI.

Ard

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Mad-

REI is useless for anything other than what they have on the shelf.

You can contact Thule and find out who sells their racks other than REI (like a real roof rack/hitch shop). I know of one in San Carlos, CA. There are plenty.

I'll see if I can bum a camera to snap some pics. But you've got the right part # (VWADAPT)- persevere

Ard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.