Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume the MDX's roof rack can be taken off. But, is it something I could do myself? If so, how?
I'm not sure I actually want to do it, but if it turned out to be easy, I might.
Why? Car could look cleaner without it (might also look worse) but the wind noise should decrease dramatically (especially with the moonroof open).
And, yes, I did a search for this topic, but came up empty.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Sorry, no longer have the link handy, but I know it's on here.
Go to Hondacuraworld.com and download the instructions for INSTALLING the rack.
Then go to an Acura dealer and buy 2 complete roof trim pieces (around 60 bucks) and several 'clips' that hold the molding to the roof.
The full roof molding replaces the precut molding for fitting the rack.
The rack comes apart very easy with a #30 torx driver.
Then your remove the trim pieces with a flat screwdriver wrapped in cloth as not to slip and scratch the paint.
Work carefully around the painted surface of the roof.
you will get the idea from the install instructions. But recommend reading the very good post on the subject.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Try this

I was probably the first to remove it. It is easy, but you will require the full lenght channel covers once it is removed.

You can make searches very specific (of course that often requires information you may not have) Example try a search with the words "roof rack" with my userid and request the results to be posts only. Of course you can always ask for help:cool:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1543

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On second thought...

Okay. I took off the roof rack and drove around for a day. Interestingly, the wind noise from the moonroof was unchanged! Surprised me.
Anyway, I decided the X looks better with the rack on - so, I put it back on.
Thanks for the directions and advice. Sometimes you just gotta find out for yourself. :8:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts