Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-

so like I was thinking this weekend....I remember a member here used a Subaru Outback parallel roof rack to install on the Acura MDX. It looks good...BUT:

Has anyone research into whether you can use the HONDA ODYSSEY's roof rack for the MDX? since the roof line of the Odyssey is similar am sure the Oddy's racks will be compatible to the MDX and LOOKS much nicer than the OUTBACK.

I also think that using the Oddy's roof rack/rails will ultimately decrease the wind noise also...

Hmmm...ideas ideas...Okay..any takers on looking into this for me and let me know if this will work. Am like 99.9% confidant that it will work without any MAJOR modifications. Please let me know.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Fireblade,

Looked into it, and thought it would work. I should not think.......:(

Bought a rack kit, had it all laid out with an approach that I was sure would fit, then did 1 last check before cutting the Odyssey rack (the rack is longer than MDX roof). Good thing I checked, when I looked at the rear mount I saw it was sticking off the back. It would have interfered with the tailgate when opening. You could make a bracket if very good with metal, but would not be simple. Would need to be machined billet or like. Bottom line, stuck my MDX rack back on --- with the rear crossmember all the way back (my custom location for carrying a Kayak).

Anybody need to buy an Odyssey rack...been meaning to e-bay it.

Would be interested to know if anyone had looked at the Pilot rack?????

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Fireblade,

Mcclendons is absolutely correct. Odyssey rack will not work on the MDX (without extensive modification that isn't worth the effort).

I investigated this option with Honda Odyssey roof rack prior to deciding on Yakima tracks and roof rack solution for my MDX. Unfortunately, it was not compatible with the MDX. While it was the correct size for the MDX roof and had the right type of mounting hardware, the mounting location was not the same.

Not sure about the Pilot roof rack. Pilot wasn't around when I investigated my options so you may want to look into this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
>> Anybody need to buy an Odyssey rack...been meaning to e-bay it.

I'm still interested in giving it a try. I'm going make some adaptors out of aluminum blocks. How much do you want for your odyssey rack?

-TL

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rack and Rails

To continue this thread--what about the Pilot rack? Can it be made to fit be someone who is reasonably handy--but not handy enough to re-fit an Odyssey rack?

Thanks,

D. Boyce
Rackless '02--using Yakima Q-Towers at present

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pilot rack

It would be great if someone had experimented with the Pilot rack. The Pilot rack has three anchor points vs. two on the MDX. From a close look at the photos the front two anchors points may match.

The problem will be with the rear Pilot anchor. I don't believe the MDX has a anchor stud in the rear. A bigger problem may be the length of the Pilot rack - it extends almost to the back of the roof & the Pilot appears to have a longer roof (it is more boxy in the back).

I'm determined to find a better rack solution. The Yakima rails are the best I've seen implemented but they don't make use of the existing mounting studs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Roof Rack.... Yakima track installation???

just ordered '03 MDX T. Very disappointed to see all the negative posts and difficulties people are having with getting their Thule bars on this vehicle without the door jam foot (which, IMHO, is a bad set-up). My question is.... it seems that some posters have indicated that they have laid down Yakima tracks.... does the MDX rack come off easily and is it fairly easy to lay down the Yakima track. Once the track is down, will the Thule Tracker kit (TK1 and and 430 Foot Pack) work in conjunction with the Yakima track? My ultimate objective is to do away with the factory rack, lay down the Yakima track and be able to use my Thule's without having to attach to the dor jam. Any success stories???

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a Thule setup (400 aeros) which is installed over my factory rack. No problem clearance-wise. I would have preferred to use a Yakima setup, as I had older Yakima accessories, however, Yakima does not recommend their own cargo boxes for the MDX. Thule on the other hand, does fit the MDX. The 400 aero is rock solid, seems more substantial compared to the factory rack. There is a bit of wind noise which can be reduced with a fairing. Thule will start selling a newly designed fairing after the first of the year.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The MDX DOES have three spots where the rails can mount, the first two (with twin bolts) where the stock rack mounts) and a single stud at the very back. If the pilot rails are longer, but the mounts fit the MDX studs, you could cut thebrail length to fit (easy). The problem withe the Odyssey rack was that the rear mount had a long space from its rearmost bolt hole to its back edge. When the rear bolt went on the MDX stud, the back edge would hit the gate.

If the pilot has a smaller rear mount (less room from bolt to edge), then it might work. I hope to check out if the local dealer ever has one........

Tigerfu, I could do $100 on the Odyssey rack (is the one with cross bars that sells for nearly $300 at dealers or about $220 from our #1 parts source). Would have to check shipping, I have no idea how bad that would be

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
SideShore - Re: Roof Rack.... Yakima track installation???

SideShore said:
...does the MDX rack come off easily...
Yes, it is fairly easy to remove the stock roof rack. Some information on this can found in this Roof Rack removal thread.
SideShore said:
... is it fairly easy to lay down the Yakima track.
Installing Yakima tracks is not as simple as removing the stock roof rack but it is fairly straight forward if you are a do-it-yourself kind of person and are fairly handy. Some detailed info on installing Yakima tracks/rack can be found in this Yakima tracks/roof rack installation thread.
SideShore said:
...Once the track is down, will the Thule Tracker kit (TK1 and and 430 Foot Pack) work in conjunction with the Yakima track?
Yakima tracks are universal. They are similar to tracks used by several manufacturers on their SUVs. They accept Yakima, Thule and other accessories. Thule Tracker feet will work with Yakima tracks. This is confirmed in this discussion thread by a member who has this exact setup.
SideShore said:
...My ultimate objective is to do away with the factory rack, lay down the Yakima track and be able to use my Thule's without having to attach to the dor jam. Any success stories???
Excellent decision. Several members on this site have succesfully installed Yakima tracks (I was the first one to attempt this) to replace nearly useless factory roof rack. If you are looking for a fully adjustable and functional roof rack that will allow you to carry a variety of loads, than this is the best option.

Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hybrid Rack

I was the member who put the Subaru Impeza roof rails on my MDX.

The key to creating a hybrid rack with the X is to get one that has only 2 points of contact (POC) with the roof. The ones that have three (Ody, Pilot) will be much more difficult to retrofit.

Most of the larger SUVs have three POC, the mini-utes like the Jeep Liberty, or Chevy Tracker only have 2. My WRX had 2 and I was able to shave the mounts to fit the contour of the X's roof.

The rails may be a bit short for many of the hard core rack users, but it suits bikes/skis/snowboards just fine.

I had another idea for a Yakima setup...

Visualize the loops that wrap around the Yakima round bars, the ones that create the connection between the accessories and the bar. Construct inserts that are similar which will connect the Yakima bars to the OEM MDX crossbars.
The inserts would slide into the tracks on the OEM crossbars and connect the round bars to the rack. This way we could use any Yakima accessory without sacrificing the OEM bars.

Just an idea.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Re: Hybrid Rack -- Yakima idea

TypeMDX said:
...another idea for a Yakima setup...

Visualize the loops that wrap around the Yakima round bars, the ones that create the connection between the accessories and the bar. Construct inserts that are similar which will connect the Yakima bars to the OEM MDX crossbars.
The inserts would slide into the tracks on the OEM crossbars and connect the round bars to the rack. This way we could use any Yakima accessory without sacrificing the OEM bars.

Just an idea.

SOUNDS like a very good idea. Send it to Yakima. Then seem OK with low volume products, and this sound like it might be a winner.

If I understand you, the suggestion is to fabricate a "crossbar holddown" that would take the place of the Yakima foot and mount to the stock crossbars. I think they might have made products like this in the past -- mostly for Fords like the Taurus.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Re: Hybrid Rack

TypeMDX said:
I had another idea for a Yakima setup...

Just an idea.
TypeMDX,

I believe what you're trying to describe is similar to the fork-mount bike carrier adapter that Thule makes (it fits MDX rack). It consists of two brackets that attach to MDX roof rack and hold a shortened version of Thule's square cross bars. Attached below is the picture of this setup that is currently being used by some members on this site.

In my opinion, while this is a goof idea in theory, there are several significant deficiencies with this kind of setup:

1. Unless Yakima makes it, fabrication of the proper adaptor for MDX/Yakima cross bars will require custom design and machining of this part. This is likely an expensive proposition unless you have the know-how capability and access to proper equipment.

2. Even if Yakima makes it, the addition of mounting brakets and Yakima cross bars (plus attachment accessories) on top of the MDX rack will increase the height of the rack, thus making it more difficult to load. Moreover, increased height of the rack may result in restricted access into some owners' garages due to height limitation.

3. Even with the adaptors, the cross bars will be spaced at the same narrow distance as the factory cross bars and will remain non-adjustable, so no additional load-carrying flexibility will be gained.

Although theoretically this solution may be one of the alternatives for MDX owners who already have Yakima accessory attachments, I do not think that this solution is practical. A much more practical and cost-effectiove option is either Yakima Tracks solution that I use or Side Rail solution that you utilize.

Just my .02c

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am very interested in purching a 03 MDX, but I also need to mount a Yakima Rack system. This is what I have come up with.

1. Pull up the roof moldings.

2. Use a Yakima Bolt Toploader Bracket (this creates an artificial rain gutter) after modifying the hole spacing from 100mm to 95mm to fit the stud placement on the MDX.

3. Drill holes in the roof moldings to allow the fasteners (barrel nuts) to pass through at stud positions. Replace roof moldings.

4. Use a barrel nut of the same type that comes with the MDX rack to affix the Yakima Bolt Toploader Bracket to the top of the MDX. There is a rubber or neoprene gasket that goes between the car top and the bracket to protect the finish.

5. Attach a Yakima Q Tower or 1A Raingutter Tower to support the bar of your choice (length).

A clean installation that sounds like it would work… When Yakima comes out with a factory fit for the MDX, just remove the brackets and if necessary, replace the roof moldings. Any other thoughts on this.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I recommend removing the factory rack (if you have a Premium), replacing the molding strips,and then mounting either Yakima or Thule tracks.

I have a base MDX, and so did not need to deal with a factory rack. I had SportsRack install Thule tracks. The installation is very clean and functional. I have mounted a Thule box and a bike rack on this setup. I just purchased a set of Thule snowboard racks for use this winter.

The salemen at my dealer all came out to look at my setup the last time I took it in for service. They also like the formfit deflector on the hood.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Wilmar said:
I am very interested in purching a 03 MDX, but I also need to mount a Yakima Rack system. This is what I have come up with.

1. Pull up the roof moldings.

2. Use a Yakima Bolt Toploader Bracket (this creates an artificial rain gutter) after modifying the hole spacing from 100mm to 95mm to fit the stud placement on the MDX.

3. Drill holes in the roof moldings to allow the fasteners (barrel nuts) to pass through at stud positions. Replace roof moldings.

4. Use a barrel nut of the same type that comes with the MDX rack to affix the Yakima Bolt Toploader Bracket to the top of the MDX. There is a rubber or neoprene gasket that goes between the car top and the bracket to protect the finish.

5. Attach a Yakima Q Tower or 1A Raingutter Tower to support the bar of your choice (length).

A clean installation that sounds like it would work… When Yakima comes out with a factory fit for the MDX, just remove the brackets and if necessary, replace the roof moldings. Any other thoughts on this.
Desperate minds think alike. Almost went there. Bought all the hardware and just before drilling I realized that hey, either I'll have to leave the tower and roundbar assembly up at all times, catching wind and noise, or have these unsightly Toploader brackets protruding from the roof-line such that I'll get nothing but questions, "What's that for?"

Am I right?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Okay, the downside is the brackets stay there all the time. However the rack comes off easy. And if Yakima comes out with a fitkit, the whole things comes off and you are only out the price of replacing the roof moldings. I have six of them on an 92 Aerostar Van... They don't look all that bad....:eek:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Wilmar: how could you say that? R U an owner?

Wilmar said:
Okay, the downside is the brackets stay there all the time. However the rack comes off easy. And if Yakima comes out with a fitkit, the whole things comes off and you are only out the price of replacing the roof moldings. I have six of them on an 92 Aerostar Van... They don't look all that bad....:eek:
Uh . . . are you actually comparing a 10 year old Aerostar van to an new MDX? :mad:

Okay members, be nice, take it easy on him, he knoweth not what he sayeth. :D

Just kidding. But still, on an MDX ? :confused:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Okay... I am not an owner, but could be an 03 owner soon. Need to resolve the rack issue as I carry skis, small kayaks and bicycles on the roof. BTW anyone have any experince with a self dimming rearview mirror with compass... :8:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts