Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, for the amount of times I need to strap a bag to the roof, which is once a year, I do not want to invest in the rails and cross bars. Plus I don't like the look of rails for the 2011 MDX, I'd rather keep my roof naked. I am considering one of the clamp down options, which grab onto the door opening (see picture). I am only using to tie down a roof bag full of clothes- no upright bike or roof box.

Does anyone have experience with these? and is there a better brand than another? Auto parts store, Amazon or where?

thx, CS

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've had personal experience with roof racks that grab door frames, and in my personal opinion, I'd avoid them. I use to install them while employed at a bicycle shop and they were never fun nor friendly to the vehicle. Honestly, you may want to explore a hitch mounted option, whether via a box or a cargo tray and weather-proof bag.
Why?
1. more friendly to the vehicle surface
2. easier to load
3. less wind resistance while traveling

If you insist upon a roof rack, then Yakima, Thule, and very few others should be your only choice. Costs a bit more, but you want a quality product in this instance.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Agree. Almost every vehicle that I've had experience with them mounted had damage that needed detailing to diminish but could not fully remove. They all have those pads that try to protect the contact points but dirt finds its way in and still gets rubbed around. Scratches happen at that point. *Cringe*

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
869 Posts
I agree about the issue with paint damage. Also, possible dents. I've never NOT had damage using clamps-ons, except maybe in the 1980's when I had a Jeep with rain gutters. That probably had resulting damage too, but it had plenty of company.

For the cost of a good roof rack system, you could get a hitch receiver and a platform. Plus, if you decide to mount a bike rack, you're all set.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts