Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

I'm writing you from Canada as a fellow who is trying to help out the owner of a 15 MDX who recently explained a problem he encountered. This is my first time posting on this board.

On the interior headliner of his MDX is a sort of small vent behind the first row seats near the overhead DVD player, that he has misplaced.

In checking with Acura, they do not offer this vent piece on its own, and infact the only way to get it would be to purchase the $1k+ headliner.

Clearly, this isnt a reasonable solution. We then tried car-part.com to see if any MDX's in Canada or the USA had a headliner on hand - no such luck. We even went on Thingiverse (a online collective of user submitted 3D printing files) to replicate the part - also a dead end.

It seems this part is harder to come across than Rooster Teeth!

We are now looking into having the part possibly replicated by way of 3d printing/scanning. Unless anyone has an extra one of these parts.

I dont currently have the vehicle on hand, so if anyone had a picture or three of the part Im referring to (color not being an issue) this would be a great help.

(If luck was in my favor, maybe one of you owners who has one of these pieces, has the means to scan and print one of these vents, but luck never seems to work to my benefit hahaha)

Thanks for any help or insight you can provide in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure it's a vent? Or is it a speaker grille? Our hvac lines are supposed to be only under the floor.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Thats actually why I was hoping to get some pictures of the part. Short of going down to the dealership and hoping they have used stock on their lot (a rarity) I cant even find a picture of what it looks like.

Again, not being my truck nor having access to the truck over the weekend, makes it kind of tough, so my apologies in advance.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Understood. We need someone ideally with an advance model with entertainment to take a picture, as that configuration has the most in ceiling speakers. A tech with ent might work but i think it lacks a speaker.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I believe they must be speaker covers. I have a 2015 MDX Advance awd and the only thing on the roof is the entertainment system with a small speaker on each side of the screen. There is nothing else on the roof except the real passenger overhead light assembly but that is almost behind the 2nd row seats. Here are two pictures of the speakers.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, its not that part, the part in question was confirmed as not available seperate from the headliner. I will be in touch with the owner tomorrow and get him to email me some pics of the location on the headliner to reference. Thanks for the awesome help thus far guys, great community here!

·
Registered
2015 MDX
191 Posts
Hmm that looks a bit like 83203-STW-A00ZR, which is a cover for the rear microphone. Also about $4. 83203-STW-A00ZM is the tan version.
Wow I had no idea there was a microphone in the back. Is that for the active noise canceling system?

The only other grill in the headliner I couldn't think of would be something on the RES itself.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Wow I had no idea there was a microphone in the back. Is that for the active noise canceling system?

The only other grill in the headliner I couldn't think of would be something on the RES itself.
Yeah I think that's what it is. I checked for it in the manual pages I have, but I don't have the section so I checked the Pilot manual too, but theirs is slightly different but indeed for noise cancelling. The Odyssey on the other hand has one for talking to the kids in back, but I can't recall if they have noise cancelling too (probably).

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Found the item on the diagram, but cant find the part #.

https://www.acurapartswarehouse.com...ertainment-system&Diagram=&PartNumbers=&PNC=9

The diagram has it listed as #11, but its not listed as a part in the list. As you can see, its from small screen Entertainment System.
That's the wrong part. That and 12 are the speaker grilles for the speakers that surround the res screen that i already gave part numbers for but the op then clarified with his picture that it is a separate speaker mounted rear of the res system itself. I have not found that speaker in any documents yet, but it is likely because all these diagrams I'm seeing are for the widescreen version and I did notice on some Google pics that the regular one does have a single speaker like you mentioned.

Like seen in the upper right corner here:

I believe the rear speaker is 39120-TK8-A01, but I can't find the grille... that being said... I did notice that speaker part number being used on Hondas (Pilot and Odyssey), so might be able to find an equivalent part there.
Edit: Nevermind. NOT the speaker. That PN is for the rear speakers. None of the part diagrams show this sucker... aye.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am bumping this thread since it comes up in google searches regarding this speaker grill.

I work in an Acura dealership and came across this thread in my quest to find this grill to find it was inconclusive. I have spoken with the parts analyst and have confirmed everyone's fears. To get this grill, the entire headliner must be purchased which comes with the speaker and grill installed. Things like this are something that we come across in our world and it is frustrating.

On a side note, a way people might be able to find this piece would be to check body shops in their area. When side curtain airbags blow, these headliners get replaced and the old ones with their precious speaker grill meat are tossed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts