Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
445 Posts
I never had guts to find out how far MDX would roll if I let it, but it certainly is something a driver needs to be aware of.

I actually have to use both feet - left- to hold the break pedal while pressing on gas with the right one.

I was never alarmed about this ""feature" as my Subaru Outback also did the same (although not as much) I must admit that I would much prefer it NOT to be there. I guess it's hard to fight physics - 600 or 700 rpm at idle is not enough to fight off gravity affecting 4500 lbs vehicle

As far as driving with the parking break engaged - don't you guys look at your dashboards??? I find "NOT BUCKLED", "Parking Break" and "Maintenance Reqd" lights quite distracting even if you do not look at them.

· Registered
445 Posts
Regarding Parking Breaks...

As I mentioned before, I use P. B. on everyday basis, even while parked in my own driveway. I guess it's a subconsious attempt to prevent a tow-away theft :)
I do not ever remember driving with P.B. engaged. First of all, once again, the light on a dashboard is VERY VISIBLE. Then, I usually switch to Drive and let go of a break pedal w/o hitting the gas. (MDX hesitates about 1 second - this "feature" has been discussed in prior posts as well) If P.B. is still on, my car would have a "forward momentum", but actually will not move - a reminder for me to disengage P.B.

On the other hand, I also often park at my friend's house who has a steep driveway precisely the lenth of MDX. I usually have to park no more than 5" from the garage door, otherwise my car would stick onto a sidewalk. Anyway, P.B. holds well, but, once I start a car and try to switch into gear, that requires a lot of effort. Not only I need to use FORCE to move the gearshift from Park into Reverse, but once I succeed tranny makes a very "unpleasant" noise. Similar experience anybody?

· Registered
445 Posts
Is this normal???

Yes and no.

It has been discussed at lengths before, as soon as the forum s/w stops acting up, use search to find those discussions.

Apparently, all MDX-es do this. Some posters in the past stated that they "did not notice it" - well, maybe they do not have steep enough hills.

In quite a number of cases I have to use both feet or need to be really quick when moving my foot from break to gas pedal, while, for example standing at a traffic light on a hill and the light becomes green.

I recently braved it and decided to test how far it would roll - well, I hit the breaks after about 1.5 - 2 car lengths rolling backward (WHILE IN DRIVE!!!)

· Registered
445 Posts
sgtglok said:

Dude, put gear into D1 from D5 and try again! And use z breaks this time too... ;) (I am also very tempted to push the VTM lock button, but the manual says to engage it only on snow, not dry pavement :14: )
Hey, sarge, vtm would help if your WHEELS were slipping, not tranny :)

Not sure what D1 will do, but will try - what the hell.

That 2x lengths roll was a test - not to be repeated ever again, hopefully.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.