Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Whoa! I guess I would have expected the airbags to deploy! And....does it look like the roof crushed more than I would have expected. The far rear seat passengers would have had the roof hit 'em on the head and the front drivers roof caved in pretty far as well!

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I am seeing the middle image; but not the first or third.

EDITED: They come and go:confused: When I got back from posting they were all gone, so I cam to edit and they all appeared, so I did not edit and they were gone, so I edited ...

Maybe that's why he rolled it - disappearing MDXs:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Gone again after the edit, BUT when I hit new post I can see all three at the bottom of the screen:confused:

I wonder how the driver fared?? It looks bad.

EDITED AGAIN: Gone after the edit, members may have to be persistent. Try viewing them from a Post Reply. In fact this seems to work; go to Post Reply and then hit the back arrow on your browser - instant pictures.

·
Registered
56 Posts
From the looks of it, it wasn't a frontal collision. I think air bags deploy only during frontal impact. Just my 2-cents...

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
It is difficult if not impossible to judge the exact details of the accident. It might have been the type of accident that would have crushed the roof of any SUV. In fact, the MDX may have performed better than some other SUV's in that type of accident. We do not know for sure.

Now that I'm past that disclaimer, I think the picture does at least suggest a multiple rollover. Note that the side mirrors are both torn off, which usually happens in such rollovers. Front airbags, and side ones, don't necessarily deploy in such rollovers.

Unfortunately, that's the fourth set of rollover pictures I've seen for the MDX, and the third in which it's not fared well. IMHO, I think the MDX's roof structure is not very well reinforced, relative to SUV's like the XC90 and the ML. But that is only my opinion without absolute evidence, and hopefully I am wrong. And of course the MDX's front and side-impact protection is excellent.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
DaleB said:
Image is gone!! Just 3 displays of notice from "Imagestation" were there used to be a picture. You may need to copy/paste pic to your desktop, and upload.
You don't want to look Dale, it's a GG and not a pretty picture.

Very Sad. Wonder if the driver and passengers (if any) are OK?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ron

Do you know how much this went for at auction? I would love to get my hands on the NAV from this MDX.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Two words - Holy SH^$!!! I just hope all involved are okay.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Is that OEM duct tape available from Tim in white?:D

Seriously, hope all involved are OK. :eek:
Does anyone know where this happened? It would be interesting to learn the facts involved. One thing I thought of was overhead air bags. When I was test driving the new Mini I was impressed by the fact they have airbags in the headliner. Since SUV's are "susceptible" to rollover, why would there be no overhead airbags, cost? Sorry for what may seem silly, but its my job, Risk Manager.

·
Registered
5 Posts
sigh.. poor car.. hope everything is ok... how exactly did this happen agn?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
See the cell phone holster? Not a good idea to talk on the phone while driving, the navigation is distracting enough.

·
Registered
129 Posts
the airbags are meant to deploy only when the vehicle experiences sudden deceleration. The airbags are mostly deployed by sensors that monitor how quick the vehicle stops traveling forward. Your MDX came with a little airbag booklet that explains this details. If you ever wonder why the mercedes and the BMW weight so much more than the MDX you just found the answer, their steel frames are twice the gauge of that of their competitors thus holding their shape much better in any kind of accident. Lexus, Infinity and Acura don't hold a candle against Volvo, Mercedes or BMW. Noteworthy that the safest vehicles are usually made in Europe, they seem to have their priorities straight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ron -- we are looking for spare parts for a 2000, 2001 or 2002 MDX. In particular we need the rear axle assembly. Can you tell us where the rolled vehidle was auctioned and/or who bought it. Many thanks. Frank Hodgson, [email protected]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts