Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question is should it be replaced through the insurance (Geico) with genuine Honda brand or get it fills with clear resins glue. It’s about less a dime size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't think you can fill this in to be seamless.

FYI, the original glass for the MDX costs about a grand US. I replaced it last year.
I really don’t care much about the seamless. I just want to prevent the crack from spreading outward

Does the insurance cover yours? I need to call Geico if they will pay for the OEM glass .

·
Registered
861 Posts
Yes, call your insurance and ask them to fixed it. If it is not in sight of view they will do it.
Had two of them done on my MDX. Almost seamless. My advice do not drive it while it is not fixed...

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just talked with Geio. They will send Safelite Auto Glass to repair onsite for free. If they determine after stress test that it can’t be repaired I will have pay $100 deductible for the after market glass replacement. If I choose to use OEM glass I would have to pay the difference. Geico can’t tell me how is the difference yet until Safelite has a quote for OEM and after mark glass send to Geico.

Any guess how much price different between OEM and after market glass?

My preference is have it fix than replace.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
We have had two negative experiences with Safelite. Both involved damage to the finish of the roof adjacent to the rubber windshield seal when the old windshield was removed. They must use something sharp to break the seal, which scores the paint finish, and living on the coast, this causes the metal to rust. The damage couldn't be seen once the new glass was installed. After about a year, rust bubbles formed on the front edge of the roof, just behind the rubber windshield gasket. I finally got USAA to cover the cost of repairing the damage and refinishing the roof. The repair also required removal of the headliner that also had to be replaced so the cost of Safelite's shoddy workmanship wasn't cheap. On the other car we developed an interior leak and again had the same roof rust problem. It was an old Chevy Blazer that we were no longer driving. The rust got so bad that it ultimately cracked the windshield. My Dad had the same thing happen after a Safelite windshield replacement in another state. I got a small crack in the windshield of my MDX last December that I am living with rather than allowing Safelite to touch it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
State Farm does not cover windshields, so I had to call around.
I found out that I could get tinted or non-tinted, so make sure that you ask for tinted.

I went to Auto Glass Now. It is a chain windshield company and my MDX was replaced for $165 + tax.

Don't use your insurance and have a claim registered to your account over a $65 savings. Insurance companies share a data base of customer claims (similar to carfax) and base your premium (costs) on that history.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Don't use your insurance and have a claim registered to your account over a $65 savings. Insurance companies share a data base of customer claims (similar to carfax) and base your premium (costs) on that history.
A windshield is considered a comprehensive claim. A comprehensive claim will usually not increase insurance premiums.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have had two negative experiences with Safelite. Both involved damage to the finish of the roof adjacent to the rubber windshield seal when the old windshield was removed. They must use something sharp to break the seal, which scores the paint finish, and living on the coast, this causes the metal to rust. The damage couldn't be seen once the new glass was installed. After about a year, rust bubbles formed on the front edge of the roof, just behind the rubber windshield gasket. I finally got USAA to cover the cost of repairing the damage and refinishing the roof. The repair also required removal of the headliner that also had to be replaced so the cost of Safelite's shoddy workmanship wasn't cheap. On the other car we developed an interior leak and again had the same roof rust problem. It was an old Chevy Blazer that we were no longer driving. The rust got so bad that it ultimately cracked the windshield. My Dad had the same thing happen after a Safelite windshield replacement in another state. I got a small crack in the windshield of my MDX last December that I am living with rather than allowing Safelite to touch it.
Sorry to hear you had bad experience with Safelite. If Safelite want to replace the glass because it can’t be repaired then I will have to look around for a reputable glass installer in my area (Boston).

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Here is after the fixed. It is not perfect but I am happy with. He came out to fix on the street. He scraped off the lose broken glass and then attacked a vacuum suction cup and injected the resin and after 3 minutes later he removed the suction cup and cured with ultraviolet light and finished off with scraping and sanding the excess resin.

·
Registered
22 Posts
FWIW - I had my 2016 MDX windshield replaced with a non-OEM windshield - the decision by the insurance company. They could not get the lane detect camera to calibrate with the windshield, so the insurance company replaced with an OEM windshield for no additional charge. They were then able to calibrated the camera.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just talked with Geio. They will send Safelite Auto Glass to repair onsite for free. If they determine after stress test that it can’t be repaired I will have pay $100 deductible for the after market glass replacement. If I choose to use OEM glass I would have to pay the difference. Geico can’t tell me how is the difference yet until Safelite has a quote for OEM and after mark glass send to Geico.

Any guess how much price different between OEM and after market glass?

My preference is have it fix than replace.

DO NOT USE THE SAFELITE BRAND GLASS! It is terrible! You will be back having it re-done numerous times and the quality of their glass is pitiful compared to OEM glass. My girlfriend has had to go back three times in her 14 MDX due to poorly installed and defective glass. Insist on the OEM glass.

·
Registered
161 Posts
DO NOT USE THE SAFELITE BRAND GLASS! It is terrible! You will be back having it re-done numerous times and the quality of their glass is pitiful compared to OEM glass. My girlfriend has had to go back three times in her 14 MDX due to poorly installed and defective glass. Insist on the OEM glass.
Sounds like the problem wasn't just isolated to the glass quality but the quality of the installation work as well. That is where I had my problems as described in my earlier post. Safelite will not touch one of our cars again, ever. If we need a windshield I'll find a local reputable glass company and see if they can work through my insurance co.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts