Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...my wife’s 2008 MDX is pleasing to everything but the ears. The road noise is overpowering. We’ve had it six years and it was never great but now you can’t even be on the phone once you hit 40 mph because the white noise is so loud. To make it worse, the sound system can’t drown it out, but that’s another thread. I know it’s an old model but I’d like to put another 100k on it because it’s neen really great overall.

New tires earlier this year and we went with a supposedly quiet tire, but the new ones were louder than the old. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do about it? I’d replace the tires again if I knew it would work, but I think wind is also a factor and wondering if there’s sound proofing that can be done. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
You can dynamat (Sound deadening material) the entire car but what I would be more curious is to know what is causing your noise? My MDX is dead quiet up until 75mph with only engine noises coming through if pushed hard.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I test drove a 2010 Acura MDX with Pirelli Scorpion tires. It was so loud, it was impossible to have a normal conversation while driving. The dealer put new tires on, and it was quiet. It was suspected that the tires had some cupping which was creating the noise issue.

I also drove a Cadillac SRX with the same tire cupping / loud noise issue.

Adding to your sound deadening comment, I saw a video that showed sound deadening foam inside a Tesla tire and rim. It was on YouTube. Interesting eh?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Tires are the typical cause of road noise.

However, you should also be aware that Acura is not the quietest car manufacturer. Depending on what you expect for road noise, I've always found Honda/Acura to be louder than the competition.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Yep, the Second Gen MDX is quite noisy on itself (even without noisy tires) at 60+ mph, as it does not have additional noise dampening as the Third Gen (which is way better in terms of isolation, in my opinion).

I'm thinking of working on wheel wells (as the primary source of noise aside from tires) and front doors to reduce the noise. Just haven't gotten around to that yet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Interesting, I came to this message thread for the exact reason as the main poster. 2008 MDX and it is incredibly loud. Road noise increases starting from 40+ mph. Was thinking I may have some wheel issue or something...
To be honest, I don't remember when the loudness started but I also have Pirelli Scorpion Verde. I've had the Verde's for a couple years now but I don't recall the road noise being this loud at the time that I had these tires installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts