Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 MDX and have just purchased the silver OEM roof rails and am getting ready to purchase the OEM silver crossbars and wonder if anyone has them currently and experience any road noise? If so, if there is a remedy for it?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I have the black roof rack and cross bars on my MDX since 2014. I also have the OEM sunroof air deflector also (not sure if the helps with air flow over the crossbars?). I really didn't notice a difference in sound before or after the install. I usually keep the sunroof visor closed and that cuts down on any noise from the roof (can get noisy when I have my Yakima roof box attached).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's great info, thanks! what are the specs on the weight limitations on the oem crossbars? I would imagine it being the same as the silver ones?? Also what would you recommend for attachments on carrying luggage? Or do we even need any? Acura sells the luggage rack but wants an arm and a leg!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
It should be the same for the black and silver roof rack system at 165 lbs total. That would include the weight of the cargo box+contents. Some aftermarket brands will advertise +200lbs limit;but, the MDX roof is only good for 165lbs max.

I have a +4 yr old Yakima Rocketbox 14, $375-$400, I can use for my RDX and MDX. It really comes in handy for long items like skis, beach umbrellas, and large folding lawn chairs. Really nice if you need all four seats and need to take long items. It is light enough to where I can put it on/off without any help (being 6'3" helps also). The issues I have with the roof mounted box are:
- wife only 4'11" and she can't access the roof box at all
- overall height of MDX is about 6'11" tall, I have to be really careful for parking garages and drive thrus.
- acts like a sail on windy days
- minor hit on mpgs
- more wind noise

I ended up getting a Stowaway2 Max cargo box, $750-$800, since I already had a hitch on my MDX. Far less issues with the cargo box except it won't take long items like to roof box and this cargo box is 2X the price of the roof box.

Need both Yakima and StowAway2 Max for a 2 week cross country trip from NM to FL:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great advice! Appreciate the info! Big fan of the wheels!!
Did you install the roof rails yourself? I'm contemplating on doing them myself but I read somewhere that leaks could be a potential problem if they're not done correctly. So I guess my question is if it's if it's difficult to install? The instructions I downloaded looks pretty straightforward.
Would you recommend the OEM crossbars? It looks to be about the same price for the Yakima or the Thule crossbars when you factor in the attachments you'd have to buy separate from the actual crossbars.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I had Acura tech do everything. I purchased the roof rack, trailer hitch, side steps, and side moldings at the same time from the local Acura dealership. They price matched with what I found on-line with other Acura dealerships and gave me a break on the labor (and free shipping cost) to install with them. I went with OEM because the aftermarket brands look too "after market" to me sometimes. I would only go aftermarket if I needed to carry two item side-by-side on the roof like a roof box and kayak at the same time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts