Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Pibcak's use of 3/8" or 1/2" (?) wobblies is an excellent method.

This method would also enable use of an air hammer to bump the axle housing loose. I tried using my air hammer w/ the pry bar but could not maintain good contact. However, socket end of wobbly extension set would would work nicely to contain air hammer pointed end.

Wish I had read this today before starting:mad:

good luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
I struggled badly trying to get the wife's TL cv-shafts to 'pop' loose from the transmission. (Yes, we have an '03 MDX, too.)

The solution: wrap and bolt a piece of chain around the CV joint at the tranny, wrap and bolt the other end of a chain to a really stout sledgehammer - swing away at ankle level! Popped right out.

Hope this helps somebody.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I appreciate this forum and all of the peeps who care enough to help their fellow novice mechanics. By God's grace and this forum, the passenger Axle is removed! I used three extensions and put it up and over the exhaust. I also used a pry bar some but not sure how much that really helped, probably just a little. I only removed the knuckle, not balljoint, tie rod or anything else. It did put up a fight!

I have wrenched quite a bit, but this is my first axle removal.

Question: The seal looks fine, is it standard practice to replace or can I just leave it? I have been purchasing so many parts for this beast and I just need to get it put back together.

Seriously though...I have learned a lot on this Forum which has enabled me to do jobs from trailer hitch to full suspension replacement. Go Team MDX! :grin::cool:
T

·
Registered
6 Posts
Obviously too late to help the last poster, but I just did this job today (the grease in both axles had thinned out so much that it was seeping out, so figured might as well replace them; glad I did, the boots were on the verge of tearing anyway).

First, I can confirm (as others have) that you can free the axle from the hub by just disconnecting the knuckle from the strut and pulling it toward you. There's plenty of room to compress the inner joint and bend it out.

Second, each of the axles proved a different kind of challenge to get free of the transmission. On the driver's side, I used my biggest flathead screwdriver to pry it off. I would have loved another 1/2" of clearance to play with, but eventually it popped off.

On the passenger's side, I put a socket on the end of a 3" wobble extension, which I then attached to a 6" wobble extension. I was then able to thread this chain up over the exhaust pipe, put the socket against the axle cup, and bang it out with a couple whacks from a small sledge. Once I got that combination set up and put into place, it was actually easier to pop out than the driver's side.

Hopefully that helps somebody down the road.
I am having so much trouble getting the inside cup off the spindle on the passenger side. I tried all the methods listed except this one and it is still stuck. I'm going out tomorrow to get the wobble extensions. What size socket did you use? Any other tricks would be greatly appreciated . My CV broke on the inside when taking it off so it's just the cup on the spindle.

Attachments

21 - 27 of 27 Posts