Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have also purchased many wheel cleaners and still do not have anything I would recommend. I go Friday to get a quote on a ceramic coating for the exterior including the wheels. They are booked up a week in advance so it might be a few weeks until they can do it. Hopefully my future wheel cleaning days will be much easier after that.
View attachment 116357
Please share what you pay for the ceramic coating and what brand did you go for? I am interested in getting the same too once i get my vehicle. Thanks,

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I did Ceramic Pro on my 18 RLX last year and also did my rims, windows, and interior. The interior Ceramic Pro has a 3 year warranty; but, you have to take the driver's seat in every year to re-coat for around $35 (extra wear/tear). I did CQuartz finest on my 19 MDX almost 2 years ago to the exterior and later did Ceramic Pro on the glass, rims, and interior a year later.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Everything about the new MDX is great (anxious to see the turbo version) save for the lack of a hybrid model which was by far the best MDX to date. Having said that, I’d advise against buying any 2022 MDX until the 2023’s come out next year - IF YOU DON’T HAVE TO BUY IT RIGHT AWAY. Why? The obvious reason (and the only one I can offer) is that they have to work the bugs out of a new model so ‘22 buyers are effectively BETA testing the MDX while paying near MSRP for the privilege.

I know of what I speak because I was a Beta tester in 7/2013 when I bought one of the the first 2014 models off the truck. I couldn’t wait as I would be in a six-kid weekly carpool by 8/2013. My Sport-Tech model now has 96K miles and I’ll say it has been mechanically flawless from day one. However, the build quality was 1990’s Hyundai. The hood and most body panels were misaligned, the rear A/C always blew warm air on automatic mode (when rear temps were synched w/front temps), the hvac fan squeaked (still does), ongoing electrical glitches and there were numerous little intermittent squeaks and rattles, but the WORST issue was front and rear door/window gaskets that did not fit properly causing air leaks and a noise that sounded like radio static or stinking paper at hwy speeds that was worse in cold weather than warm.

The body panel issues were a take it or leave it thing as all cars on the lot exhibited the same - literally. The squeaks and rattles never worsened but couldn’t be reproduced at the dealership so they couldn’t be addressed by the dealer. Two of the window/door gaskets were replaced by the dealership under warranty but the part was poorly engineered/designed so the new gaskets didn’t fix the problem -?ongoing for many gen 3 owners. I’m not the only one you’ll see driving around with folded up business cards wedged in between the windows and the gaskets (the only practical fix, and yes the dealer & I have tried lubricating the gaskets repeatedly to no avail). The gasket issue has improved with subsequent model years but is still present on some loaners I’ve had to date so it was never completely resolved. To “fix” the a/c issue for rear passengers, you can’t use “sync” but have to manually set the rear a/c temperature to about five degrees lower than in front to keep rear passengers cool - a known issue that was never fixed (dealer said unfortunately they ALL do that and Acura never fixed it). The problem still exists even in 2020 models (been present on every loaner I’ve ever had and I only get mdx loaners) and was due to a poorly placed temperature sensor that Honda never rectified. Once or twice per year my digital display screens both go blank (either blue or black) and are unresponsive. The fix (despite a reflash update per a TSB) has been to turn the car off, wait a minute and turn it back on - problem solved. There have been lesser issues some might consider petty so I’ll end the complaints, but these things shouldn’t be so prevalent in a $50K car, especially one built by Honda/Acura.

My final verdict (never having driven the 2022) is that it’ll be a great car, accelerating about average for the class but more importantly handling better than most (I Hope braking distances match MDX’s handling prowess as braking and handling are the unsung heroes which make vehicles safer or less safe). The Honda Civic/Accord level of interior quality on the gen 3 seems to have been fixed with gen 4. I never understood why a luxury/near luxury maker like Acura didn’t strive to add quality to interior materials and design even if it added $500 to $1,000 per car for the gen 3 from the get go. I bought anyway because there was nothing better than an MDX for the price at the time. All the complaints over the years finally got Acura to use wood in Advance trims in later years if I’m not mistaken. My rant/review/comments have gone on long enough, but if you have a “gun to your head” to buy a three-row right now, be sure to THOROUGHLY inspect all body panels/doors for fit/alignment and check the a/c, test drive it at realistic hwy speeds (that air leak/noise issue is worse in winter than summer). Personally, if my 14 MDX were stolen/wrecked tomorrow, I’d buy or lease a leftover Sport Hybrid either new or slightly used. If that happened next year, I’d look at the sport hybrid and weigh against the 2023 with the bugs (hopefully) worked out. Good luck and enjoy whatever you choose to do.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Everything about the new MDX is great (anxious to see the turbo version) save for the lack of a hybrid model which was by far the best MDX to date. Having said that, I’d advise against buying any 2022 MDX until the 2023’s come out next year - IF YOU DON’T HAVE TO BUY IT RIGHT AWAY. Why? The obvious reason (and the only one I can offer) is that they have to work the bugs out of a new model so ‘22 buyers are effectively BETA testing the MDX while paying near MSRP for the privilege.

I know of what I speak because I was a Beta tester in 7/2013 when I bought one of the the first 2014 models off the truck. I couldn’t wait as I would be in a six-kid weekly carpool by 8/2013. My Sport-Tech model now has 96K miles and I’ll say it has been mechanically flawless from day one. However, the build quality was 1990’s Hyundai. The hood and most body panels were misaligned, the rear A/C always blew warm air on automatic mode (when rear temps were synched w/front temps), the hvac fan squeaked (still does), ongoing electrical glitches and there were numerous little intermittent squeaks and rattles, but the WORST issue was front and rear door/window gaskets that did not fit properly causing air leaks and a noise that sounded like radio static or stinking paper at hwy speeds that was worse in cold weather than warm.

The body panel issues were a take it or leave it thing as all cars on the lot exhibited the same - literally. The squeaks and rattles never worsened but couldn’t be reproduced at the dealership so they couldn’t be addressed by the dealer. Two of the window/door gaskets were replaced by the dealership under warranty but the part was poorly engineered/designed so the new gaskets didn’t fix the problem -?ongoing for many gen 3 owners. I’m not the only one you’ll see driving around with folded up business cards wedged in between the windows and the gaskets (the only practical fix, and yes the dealer & I have tried lubricating the gaskets repeatedly to no avail). The gasket issue has improved with subsequent model years but is still present on some loaners I’ve had to date so it was never completely resolved. To “fix” the a/c issue for rear passengers, you can’t use “sync” but have to manually set the rear a/c temperature to about five degrees lower than in front to keep rear passengers cool - a known issue that was never fixed (dealer said unfortunately they ALL do that and Acura never fixed it). The problem still exists even in 2020 models (been present on every loaner I’ve ever had and I only get mdx loaners) and was due to a poorly placed temperature sensor that Honda never rectified. Once or twice per year my digital display screens both go blank (either blue or black) and are unresponsive. The fix (despite a reflash update per a TSB) has been to turn the car off, wait a minute and turn it back on - problem solved. There have been lesser issues some might consider petty so I’ll end the complaints, but these things shouldn’t be so prevalent in a $50K car, especially one built by Honda/Acura.

My final verdict (never having driven the 2022) is that it’ll be a great car, accelerating about average for the class but more importantly handling better than most (I Hope braking distances match MDX’s handling prowess as braking and handling are the unsung heroes which make vehicles safer or less safe). The Honda Civic/Accord level of interior quality on the gen 3 seems to have been fixed with gen 4. I never understood why a luxury/near luxury maker like Acura didn’t strive to add quality to interior materials and design even if it added $500 to $1,000 per car for the gen 3 from the get go. I bought anyway because there was nothing better than an MDX for the price at the time. All the complaints over the years finally got Acura to use wood in Advance trims in later years if I’m not mistaken. My rant/review/comments have gone on long enough, but if you have a “gun to your head” to buy a three-row right now, be sure to THOROUGHLY inspect all body panels/doors for fit/alignment and check the a/c, test drive it at realistic hwy speeds (that air leak/noise issue is worse in winter than summer). Personally, if my 14 MDX were stolen/wrecked tomorrow, I’d buy or lease a leftover Sport Hybrid either new or slightly used. If that happened next year, I’d look at the sport hybrid and weigh against the 2023 with the bugs (hopefully) worked out. Good luck and enjoy whatever you choose to do.
Not “stinking” paper but “wrinkling” paper was the way I described the hwy speed window gasket air leak noise.

·
Registered
22 Acura MDX Advanced SH-AWD
45 Posts
Please share what you pay for the ceramic coating and what brand did you go for? I am interested in getting the same too once i get my vehicle. Thanks,
I decided to go with the 5 year Silver Package from CeramicPro. I drop it off in two weeks and the cost is $1,700.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
You can't add any PPF on top of ceramic coating. You have to use touchless car washes or hand wash/dry with microfiber and ceramic soaps. Ceramic coating will scratch easier than clear coat if you don't take the proper care. I PPF the high impact areas like hood, front bumper, front fenders, side mirrors, and rear bumper. I ceramic coated low impact ares like side doors, roof, rear fenders, and upper hatch.

Still love my ceramic coating because it only takes 20-30 minutes to wash and dry for glass like shine no matter how dirty it was before.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Would you please do an owner's review soon? Would love to see an owner's perspective of the vehicle.
So I’ve had the 22 for 12 days now. Although the track pad and new infotainment system takes some getting used to, you quickly adapt and it comes second nature. Really the only complaint I have and it’s not a big deal, but more of an annoyance is the turn signal. When you are driving and hit the turn signal it is so loud! You barely notice it while driving but when your on the phone I guarantee the person on the other end will ask “Is that your blinker”?

I agree it’s a very minor issue but that is really the only issue I have with it and I keep finding new things that it does, or can do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm surprised that I haven't seen anyone noticing or complaining about seat sag that seems apparent on a lot of brand new models I have seen one in person especially on the passenger seat up front.
Makes me think that the seats will not age well if it's already sagging basically brand new.

I have also seen some video footage/pics of brand new models with stitching on the dash that looks like someone hand stitched it themselves.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Finally got around to taking the center out of the second row. It wasn’t hard but mine will stay in rather than in the garage or cargo area. Took some more pictures for those who are interested but haven’t gotten a chance to see one in person yet.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Can you just flip the 2nd row center console forward to give the 3rd row folks more leg room? I know it flips forward; but, not sure if it would stay/lock in place.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
No it’s in or out.
Sounds like a missed opportunity for Acura to have the center console flip and lock in the up position. The 2nd row center seat doesn't look all that comfortable for an average size adult compared to just sitting in the 3rd row with your legs extended between the cpt chairs gap.

·
Super Moderator
2,195 Posts
Sounds like a missed opportunity for Acura to have the center console flip and lock in the up position. The 2nd row center seat doesn't look all that comfortable for an average size adult compared to just sitting in the 3rd row with your legs extended between the cpt chairs gap.
I would assume you will be sitting on portion of cushion of the outer seats if an adult is sitting in the middle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I’m 6ft 215lbs and surprisingly the entire second row is very comfortable for me. The third row I could sit in if I had to with the 2nd row slid up. But with the center out and my legs stretched out I would even be fine on long trips.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I was also thinking in my kid days with sports trying to stuff sports umbrellas and coolers in my 11 MDX with 4 people. I can see it being a big advantage with the +22 MDX removing the center seat/console, putting up 1/2 of the 3rd row seats, and having more utility and space for everything else.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I decided to go with the 5 year Silver Package from CeramicPro. I drop it off in two weeks and the cost is $1,700.
Update on the Ceramic!! I decided to go with the lifetime package that gives 4 layers instead of one. The total OTD price was $2,200 and it looks amazing! I am very particular with my vehicles especially the paint, but it truly is flawless like a show car finish. I highly recommend Savannah CeramicPro if you are in the Savannah Ga area. When I picked it up it went straight into the garage and I had to go to work so I’ll post some pictures in the next day or so. This is the first vehicle I’ve had ceramic applied on and it is so slick like a car after it’s freshly waxed but a million times slicker and smoother.

·
Registered
5 Posts
. Really the only complaint I have and it’s not a big deal, but more of an annoyance is the turn signal. When you are driving and hit the turn signal it is so loud! You barely notice it while driving but when your on the phone I guarantee the person on the other end will ask “Is that your blinker”?

I agree it’s a very minor issue but that is really the only issue I have with it and I keep finding new things that it does, or can do.
There is a setting in the sound menu where you can change the volume of the blinker. If you put it on low, it is still a bit louder than I would like, but it is better! My biggest annoyance is that no matter where you leave the zoom on the nav, when you restart the car, it starts all the way zoomed in.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There is a setting in the sound menu where you can change the volume of the blinker. If you put it on low, it is still a bit louder than I would like, but it is better! My biggest annoyance is that no matter where you leave the zoom on the nav, when you restart the car, it starts all the way zoomed in.
Awesome! Thank you so much!

·
Registered
23 Posts

2022 huge disappointment. I ve owned 5 MDXs . Three tech packages two hybrid sport advance models. 2022 luxurious not sporty. The finger pad touch scan conttol awful, invitation for an accident. Terrible distraction. Brake pedal soft, poor modulation. Drive train underpowered, very low first gear, tranny rushes to upshift thru 2, 3, 4 gear. Steering light in every setting. Car feels bulky. Drove the 2022 mdx hard on my test drive, it ain’t sporty.
the 2017-2020 mdx sport hybrid will drive circles around the 2022. Faster, balanced, dbl clutch super quick tranny, better brakes. The sport hybrid was the best mdx ever! Acura has misrepresented the 2o22 as a sports vehicle. Their new TLX much sportier vehicle.
‘Drive the 2022 back to back with a Mazda cx 9, bmw base x3 or base x5 the 2022 mdx can’t come close. It will be a poor finisher in most comparisons.
Too bad, I so enjoyed 3rd generation sport hybrid, I left Acura for a Mazda cx 9 2021 much superior drive for less money!

21 - 40 of 52 Posts