Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
So far, the reviews have been positive for the MDX. Looking forward to the reviews in a side-by-side comparison test with 3-6 other luxury brand competitors around the same price point. Not having entertainment, 2nd row cooled outside seats, tri-zone climate control with extra vents, and engine power upgrade might move some families w/ or w/o pets to other brands.

·
Registered
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Tech
125 Posts
I'm disappointed in it. I expected more and although they say its a brand new version, too many things are still the same or nearly identical to the 3g.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I’m disappointed that there is no hybrid. May have to look somewhere else.

·
Registered
791 Posts
There have been a couple reviews that say the ride wasn't as nice as it should be partly due to no active dampers. Others complained about interior finishing quality in the back.

I'll be curious how many problems it will have and if it will be more or less reliable than the rdx

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
545 Posts
I’m disappointed that there is no hybrid. May have to look somewhere else.
yup, now we are really glad we settled for a hybrid not in our most preferred color rather than waiting for a 2021 hybrid.......... If we were looking now, the MDX would be off he list and the Audi Q5 plug in would be our choice. It was a choice between the two last February, but there were NO Q5 hybrids with anything near the package we wanted, top trim, no run flats, no colors we wanted so the MDX went to the top of the list. MDX has more room, and glad now we got the MDX hybrid.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,794 Posts
I'm disappointed in it. I expected more and although they say its a brand new version, too many things are still the same or nearly identical to the 3g.
So far, the reviews have been positive for the MDX. Looking forward to the reviews in a side-by-side comparison test with 3-6 other luxury brand competitors around the same price point. Not having entertainment, 2nd row cooled outside seats, tri-zone climate control with extra vents, and engine power upgrade might move some families w/ or w/o pets to other brands.
Having the same amount of HP will not sway people going to different brands. 290 HP for the base motor is perfect for almost everyone that doesn't give a crap about cars. My parents' Rogue uses the same engine since 2008 (First Gen Rogue) and I've seen people buying another one, and their reason wasn't the engine horsepower.

Now with the other upgrades (massaging seats, extra vents for the 3rd row, a dedicated dvd player, etc.) will actually be a higher factor.

·
Registered
2014 MDX Tech SH-AWD
71 Posts
Having the same amount of HP will not sway people going to different brands. 290 HP for the base motor is perfect for almost everyone that doesn't give a crap about cars. My parents' Rogue uses the same engine since 2008 (First Gen Rogue) and I've seen people buying another one, and their reason wasn't the engine horsepower.

Now with the other upgrades (massaging seats, extra vents for the 3rd row, a dedicated dvd player, etc.) will actually be a higher factor.
Bigger "issue" with the engine is it's still NA. Don't get me wrong, the J35 is a gem and I love the noise it makes but your average joe driving an MDX and the competition will notice that the power delivery is more practical on the turbo applications...you have to wring out the J35 to get to peak power.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Having the same amount of HP will not sway people going to different brands. 290 hp for the base motor is perfect for almost everyone that doesn't give a crap about cars. My parents' Rogue uses the same engine since 2008 (First Gen Rogue) and I've seen people buying another one, and their reason wasn't the engine horsepower.

100% agree. I know these forums are skewed more towards "car people" that focus on engine power above many other more practical factors, but take a look at who's driving most MDXs you see at the grocery store, strip mall, or on the road. More times than not, it's not Tom the Gearhead driving a 3-row family crossover SUV that can seat 7...

My daily driver is a 335 hp Audi A6 and my wife's is a 290 hp MDX. Before that it was a 280 hp Infiniti M35 and two 253 hp MDXs. And way before those prior cars, it was a 210 hp Toyota Avalon and 180 hp Chrysler Town & Country. And you know what? They all were perfectly fine.

While a different playing field entirely (read: less pissing contest hp snobbery), take a look at the sales figures attached of the CR-V. It's not horsepower selling those babies; it's the all-around Goldilocks package. What would likely sway a "regular" buyer away from Acura and to another brand like Audi or BMW (for a crossover SUV) above anything else would simply be the four ring logo or kidney grill staring back at their face vs. a dinner plate "A" logo.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,794 Posts
Bigger "issue" with the engine is it's still NA. Don't get me wrong, the J35 is a gem and I love the noise it makes but your average joe driving an MDX and the competition will notice that the power delivery is more practical on the turbo applications...you have to wring out the J35 to get to peak power.
I'm pretty sure the average Joe cannot afford the maintenance that a turbo engine will require. I personally am against slapping a large 3-row SUV with a small single turbo on a small displacement engine. If there is an issue with that turbo and it doesn't push out enough boost for that HP, then the owner is in trouble. NGL, NA motors are very reliable compared to their turbocharged counterparts.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm pretty sure the average Joe cannot afford the maintenance that a turbo engine will require. I personally am against slapping a large 3-row SUV with a small single turbo on a small displacement engine. If there is an issue with that turbo and it doesn't push out enough boost for that HP, then the owner is in trouble. NGL, NA motors are very reliable compared to their turbocharged counterparts.
I agree that the simplicity of a NA is likely to be more reliable (because there's fewer parts that can fail), but turbocharged cars cost the same to maintain as a NA car. General maintenance for cars includes fluid and filter changes. A turbocharger doesn't magically increase the amount of maintenance required. I own a 2004 Volvo C70 turbo droptop with 205k miles on it, and an oil change costs exactly the same as my MDX, which is 6 quarts worth of Mobil 1.

Imagine the Honda dealer telling a college student they can't buy an Civic with the 1.5T because "they can't afford the maintenance"

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,794 Posts
I agree that the simplicity of a NA is likely to be more reliable (because there's fewer parts that can fail), but turbocharged cars cost the same to maintain as a NA car. General maintenance for cars includes fluid and filter changes. A turbocharger doesn't magically increase the amount of maintenance required. I own a 2004 Volvo C70 turbo droptop with 205k miles on it, and an oil change costs exactly the same as my MDX, which is 6 quarts worth of Mobil 1.

Imagine the Honda dealer telling a college student they can't buy an Civic with the 1.5T because "they can't afford the maintenance"
Yeah, I see my point might be half ignorant, but its still more parts that could go wrong.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Maybe it's just me but the 3.5 in the MDX feels plenty fast in my opinion, especially 0-60. I also have a 2010 infiniti fx35 also with a 3.5 and that feels plenty fast to me as well. The MDX feels slightly faster than the fx but that's observation only.

Plus the mdx gets amazing gas mileage on the highway compared to my fx and nearly all competitors.

It might not be the fastest suv on the road but to me I think the 3.5 is plenty fast enough to get me either into or out of trouble. The 4 cyl turbo the biggest difference would have been when max torque was available as it's available at lower rpm, but other than that it seems like overall performance was very similar and gas mileage was nearly identical so not a huge difference.

The type s should be decently fast when it gets here.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,794 Posts
Reactions: willowbeast

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
22 Acura MDX Advanced SH-AWD
45 Posts
Let me know what you have found to clean the wheels? On my other cars, I have bought many brushes and never found the perfect one. I hope to have a Blue 2022 MDX Advance by the first partof March.
I have also purchased many wheel cleaners and still do not have anything I would recommend. I go Friday to get a quote on a ceramic coating for the exterior including the wheels. They are booked up a week in advance so it might be a few weeks until they can do it. Hopefully my future wheel cleaning days will be much easier after that.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts