Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

101 - 120 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Huh? It is a translation of a Chinese article.

Ok. Here's another link just in case you are still blinded: Jaguar Land Rover Recalls 36,000 SUVs in China After Media Exposé * - The Quint

Just in case you have trouble with link:

"On Friday, Jaguar Land Rover said in a statement it is recalling 36,451 Evoques from model years 2014 and 2015 due to software-related complaints including “poor gear shift quality, increased transmission noise and the inability to select drive when the vehicle is restarted under certain conditions.”

Jaguar Land Rover said it will upgrade gearbox software free of charge, and extend the warranty period of affected gearboxes to 7 years after the date of purchase from 3 years, or 240,000 km rather than 100,000 km, whichever comes first."

-------------------------------------------------------
Interesting is that the recall also said something about inability to select DRIVE...didn't that happen to YOU, E92Vancouver???? Yikes!

For the Acura old-timers, this whole extension of powertrain warranty sounds all too familiar....

Software update...and extended powertrain warranty...why would a software fix lead to extended warranty...unless the software fix is a cover-up for a design flaw??
15MDX, thanks for the added research. Interesting.

At least the ZF 9 HP in Acura's has been reworked to their specs, with Acura's own shift logic. Also, the transmission in the MDX is the latest version of the 9 HP, coming out 2 years after the 9 speed in the Land Rover.

As I mentioned before, when my transmission warning light came on, I was flustered and when trying to put it in gear, may not have pressed the brake.

After 2 months and several thousand kilometres, the transmission has been great. Shifts smooth and shifts fast.

The shift pause you describe is from 9th to 4th and is very insignificant. 90% of the people would not notice it. If it did bother you, you could run the car in sport mode which keeps the transmission out of the last 2 over drive gears in passing situations. I have only noticed this pause when in top gear and doing a wide open throttle pass. It is different but it is minor.

On wide open accelerations there is no pause while the transmission shifts sequentially on the 9 speed.

Recall on the 6 speed, there is pause while the transmission downshifts, but because the engine is screaming while the clutches engage, it feels like you are moving forward but you are not really accelerating until the shift on the 6 speed is completed. This was the experience on my 6 speed.

I believe dog clutches are here to stay. The transmission are smaller, lighter and you don't have the drag torque of a clutch pack. This results in more power to the wheels and better fuel economy.

When a high mileage automatic transmission starts to slip and not shift it is usually due to worn clutch packs. The fiber disks in a clutch pack are always subject to drag friction when they are not hydraulically braked. Hence one of the attractions to dog clutches.

Dog clutches have been used in motorcycles and racing gear boxes because of their efficiency. They are also used extensively in heavy duty truck transmissions.

Acura sold 5,000 MDXs last month. I think they are pretty happy.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Non-productive to the OP.

What happened to my post? Why was it deleted?
The reasons for deletion are in the delete.

Randy B

·
Registered
44 Posts
Idk if anyone has seen this video, I came up on it by luck I guess, but in the owners manual of the 200 (they have a video as well up on YouTube) they state that the 9 speed transmission will shift rough during the breakin period and that it's normal. After driving for a while the transmission will settle in, and rough shifts will disappear. Interesting tidbit on this transmission

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine must have came pre broken-in because I really haven't noticed any rough shifting. Mind each car company uses their own software for the transmission so not sure how useful it is to compare this transmission with other vehicles.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Mine must have came pre broken-in because I really haven't noticed any rough shifting. Mind each car company uses their own software for the transmission so not sure how useful it is to compare this transmission with other vehicles.
Pre-broken in? Did you purchase a demo?

Each company does use their own software - and if you read up in the thread, oftentimes their own hardware (Chrysler modifies the ZF transmission and produces in their own plants in the US).

But pre-broken in wouldn't really matter either, since "adaptive" transmissions change (as per their name) to current driver habits/behavior (over couple of hundred mile periods).

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
But pre-broken in wouldn't really matter either, since "adaptive" transmissions change (as per their name) to current driver habits/behavior (over couple of hundred mile periods).
2700 miles on my TLX and I'm stilling waiting for it to "adapt" and learn that I don't need a harsh 2-3 shift under every condition. Or that I actually do want a harsh/fast kickdown engagement when I put my foot into it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
2700 miles on my TLX and I'm stilling waiting for it to "adapt" and learn that I don't need a harsh 2-3 shift under every condition. Or that I actually do want a harsh/fast kickdown engagement when I put my foot into it.
Do all the TLXs drive like this or just yours? Do the MDXs that you have driven, drive like this? Will there be a fix? Will you have to replace the transmission or will a software update be coming out?

·
Registered
661 Posts
That's somewhat funny.

I remember the first car I had with an "adaptive" transmission (it wasn't 'pre-broken in' as per an earlier comment). After 10,000 painful miles they replaced it.

The second one "adapted" better.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I always that it was called an adaptive transmission because the driver had to adapt to its hard shifts....;)

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Do all the TLXs drive like this or just yours? Do the MDXs that you have driven, drive like this? Will there be a fix? Will you have to replace the transmission or will a software update be coming out?
All 9 speed TLXs drive like mine. All 9 speed MDXs drive in a similar, some harsh shifts-some fine with a general sense of there's a dim witted slow adult in control of the shift logic, kinda feel.

I believe a software update can handle most of the issues. For example, as I said early on in the saga this thread has become, on the TLX 1-2 and 2-3 are harsh while 3-4, 4-5, 5-6, and up are actually very smooth but still fast...what you'd expect from a state of the art unit with so many steps. So what's going on with 1-2 and 2-3 that's adding the extra shock? Usually in a situation like that it's a matter of timing releasing one clutch and applying the next. We're talking split seconds here, but they make all the difference in the world when it comes to shift feel.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
That's somewhat funny.

I remember the first car I had with an "adaptive" transmission (it wasn't 'pre-broken in' as per an earlier comment). After 10,000 painful miles they replaced it.

The second one "adapted" better.
Adaptive has been around for over a quarter century now. When Saturns came around, they liked the buzzwords "fuzzy logic" to describe it, but it's the same system.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Pre-broken in? Did you purchase a demo?
Lol, ok I was just kidding about the pre broken-in comment. Didn't think anyone would actually take it seriously. No demo, there weren't any 2016s in my city when I purchased mine. I'm trying to replicate these shift characteristics with mine and the only one I'm really noticing is the slight lag when driving at speed and suddenly pressing the gas peddle. I'm can't say I notice any harsh shifting and I've tried repeatedly to find it by accelerating slowly and quickly. Maybe this adaptive transmission is really in sync with my driving style. ;)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Lol, ok I was just kidding about the pre broken-in comment. Didn't think anyone would actually take it seriously. No demo, there weren't any 2016s in my city when I purchased mine. I'm trying to replicate these shift characteristics with mine and the only one I'm really noticing is the slight lag when driving at speed and suddenly pressing the gas peddle. I'm can't say I notice any harsh shifting and I've tried repeatedly to find it by accelerating slowly and quickly. Maybe this adaptive transmission is really in sync with my driving style. ;)
All joking aside - if you keep IDS in 'sport' most/all of the time (as many folks here do), the shifting and gear-hold won't be as big of a deal. Or none at all.

I think folks have the most concern with Comfort and Normal, which are experiencing the issues in this (and other) threads.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have noticed the shift much fluid after the breaking period for normal / comfort. Sport mode is fun to driver from day one with quick shift. The only real issue on 2016 is rear suspension noise at city speeds

·
Registered
44 Posts
My first vehicle with adaptive transmission sounded might advanced, as most CA or SAs tend to feed the myth which is the tranmission is continuously monitoring your driving habits and changing the shifting pattern. Well finally I encounter a SA who knew what he was taking about, and cleared the myth.

Adaptive transmissions are transmissions That have an x number of finite transmission maps. When the car is new, or when a reset of the system is done, the transmission is in a "learning phase", where the computer determines which of the maps best represents your driving style. Once it finds the closest map, the transmission sticks to it and becomes "learned" lol. That's it, no more adapting needed. On that particular vehicle the transmission could choose from 1 of 4 transmission maps. Maybe they have increased.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Holding

Can you hold yours in 1st gear while in sport mode?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Same. The demo 2016 Acura MDX I drove was smooth. I then ordered my MDX (actually gave the dealer a $500 deposit so he could locate the color I wanted). My MDX transmission works very well.

If there is a software update coming out for the transmission, I will refuse it. I don't want anything changed.

I think I have figured out why my transmission is smooth while SuperTech cites roughness. SuperTech is American. The US got the first production batches of MDXs. My MDX is the Canadian build. We just got the MDXs last month. Canadians must have a different software version?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Finally!!! Success!! I experienced a rough shift. I started my car, and with IDS in comfort mode, I accelerated moderately quickly and 1/2 was slightly rough and shift 2/3 was fairly jerky. However, that was it. Drove for about 20km, stopped for couple hours then returned. No more rough shifts.

101 - 120 of 166 Posts