Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Multivex mirror in our CRV. And I like it!
The advantage of these mirrors is they have an increased field of view from the inside to the outer edge.

Many claim by aligning stock flat mirrors further away from the sides of the vehicle, most any blind spot is eliminated. In fact, you are just moving the blind spot to a less risky area. Your field of view is simply changed, not widened.

The instructions emphasize the importance of only focusing on the 1/3 inside portion of the mirror. Your peripheral vision will take in the rest of the view naturally.

The mirror is glass. And optically well finished. Install is very easy.

1. Fully clean the existing mirror.
2. Center the Multivex carefully over the mirror.
3. Remove the protective tape from the stick pads and gently press against the stock mirror.
4. As you can see, there are only 4 pads to attachment. At first I was concerned this was not sufficient. But again, they emphasize the pads stick extremely well on a clean flat surface.
5. Following the initial attachment, you can adjust your mirror, to the end travel, and apply more pressure (on the pads ONLY) between the back of the stock mirror and the front of the Multivex.

The instructions are very detailed. Plus they have a help number. No brain surgery here, just keep everything clean and take your time.

You will notice in the backside picture, the pads may have different heights. They say this is done depending on the specific application to ensure the best coverage for any mirror adjustments you may make.

They can be removed, the same way you SHOULD remove any stick-on mirror. Working with dental floss to cut the pads, and alcohol to clean up residue.
(I would strongly suggest taking a length of making tape, etc. and securing the mirror before doing that, to avoid it dropping accidentally as you cut through attachment pads.)

I am ordering one now for the MDX and remove my inside Autobahn mirror which served me very well for quite a while.
The www.multivexmirror.com are $33 each, and available for either side. Not very cheap, but appear to be a good quality product. (90 day warranty against defects or if you are not satisfied).

NOTE: For Muth or other signal mirrors, the Multivex are translucent and will still function the same way. For heated (MDX) mirrors, a small bead of silicon adhesive (black or clear) is applied between the pads (top and sides only). The heat from the stock mirror will be transferred to the Multivex.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Interesting, about how much thickness in total with dbl sided tape and mirror does it add?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Warzau said:
Interesting, about how much thickness in total with dbl sided tape and mirror does it add?
A reasonable question from a reasonable man. About 0.20" or 5 mm.

The CRV has a slight border above the surface of the mirror.

On the MDX the border is actually just flush or slightly below the surface of the (stock) mirror. So I would expect the added thickness to be right at 1/4".

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Darn just check for my civic and there isn't any. :(

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Looks like a great solution to a nagging problem. Just wondering if enough heat will transfer from the underlying mirror to provide deice/defog protection to new mirror surface.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
highcountrymdx said:
Looks like a great solution to a nagging problem. Just wondering if enough heat will transfer from the underlying mirror to provide deice/defog protection to new mirror surface.
Have no idea. Rarely use the mirror heaters in my climate. Seems there could be some delay.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I replaced the left-hand mirror on the MDX.
Here you can see where I used black GE silicone sealant on the top and sides to enhance the heater feature. Leaving the bottom open for any condensation.
It's fairly easy. I dipped the butt end of an old toothbrush in water to smooth out the sealant before it cured.
Mirrors work great on both vehicles!
(Sorry for the poor focus)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I guess installing that would kill the heated mirror happiness I enjoy in the winter. I like the small convex, rectangular mirros I have on the inside lower corner of my mirrors. it eliminates the blind spots w/out changing the stock mirror at all.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sinecure said:
I guess installing that would kill the heated mirror happiness I enjoy in the winter.
Apparently you did not read the entire thread. And I was counting on you to install one and prove the heater still functions just fine. In my climate there may be too few days to prove it. But I could leave the car out some very damp/cold night and compare the right & left mirror response to the heater. Since no one is jumping at the bit, when I do it I shall report on it :D

Personally, I like having what appears to be a stock mirror, and not an add-on.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
i just wish the interior mirror was wider so I could see out the rear quarter glass with it.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sinecure said:
I guess installing that would kill the heated mirror happiness I enjoy in the winter.
Hey, sinecure..do you know Al ?

Just curious, he also lives in SC, up in the hills has the handle 'amazent' on here.
If you ever see a (2002) black MDX with an incredible mirror finish it's probably his.
It's been color-sanded. You arms would be worn out trying to get the same shine with any polish, and you will not get close.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
XStatic said:
i just wish the interior miror was wider so I could see out the rear quarter glass with it.
That's possible ?

I don't see the heated mirror as an issue unless you're always parked outside in the winter. I once turned on the heated mirrors in a storm just to use them. Maybe it would be different if my cars weren't in the garage and I didn't park in a ramp at work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts