·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Dale,

Didn't know about the demise of the Poron. The site is still up (www.poronusa.com). :confused: Is it all their units (aka the whole company) or just the 3LV model? You could get away w/one of their 2-sensor units no problem.

You might poke your head in over on the Ody site (www.odyclub.com) to see what they've been using. I recall some discussion over there...

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
DaleB said:
Yes the site is up. But if you hit 'Specials' or 'Purchase' , etc. you get the ol' 404 screen.

I will try their phone numbers today, and also check the Ody site. Wish I had got a unit earlier. Thanks.
Works for me, maybe they had a hiccup.

·
Registered
125 Posts
R.O.S.S.

I have the ROSS (Rostra Obstacle Sensing System) backup sensor installed. It comes with 2 sensors (mounted behind the bumper), a control unit (brain) with audio alarm (volume adjustable), flashing green-yellow-red visual alarm display, and all harnesses. Work well, reliable and easy to install. However, it DOES NOT work well with a trailer hitch.

Check out their web-site for more information (product info, installation manual, application guide = step-by-step with pictures on how it was installed on a RX300, Ody and other cars.)

http://www.rostra.com/rostra-obstacle.htm

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Here's the camera...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
DaleB said:
Still not working right, I can buy Poron at Autotoys.com

Does anyone have the Poron system working with a trailer hitch installed?
Dale,

Wouldn't be an issue; you'd just position the middle sensor above, below, or just to the side of the hitch.

BTW, call Poron direct before buying from autotoys...they've been offering a $50 or $100 running discount (can't remember which - it's been awhile). Ya just have to ask.

·
Registered
125 Posts
DaleB said:
I did review that one. I would not want to go through the hassle, especially removing the bumper (cover) and then find out it was not worth it.

I need to get more info on the Poron. Who knows I may end with a camera!
FWIW, you DON'T need to remove the bumper. The 2 ROSS sensors fit well attached on the metal bar right behind the bumper. What I like about the ROSS is that the sensors are not exposed, and there is no need to drill holes on the bumper.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Wongster said:

FWIW, you DON'T need to remove the bumper. The 2 ROSS sensors fit well attached on the metal bar right behind the bumper. What I like about the ROSS is that the sensors are not exposed, and there is no need to drill holes on the bumper.
Where did you buy it from?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am going to call Poron and see what they have for specials.
I just got an email back from 12volt Shop..
The $99 unit they have sounds very inviting also. They say hitches are no problem and it's one of the easiest to adapt to any vehicle.

http://www.12voltshop.com/details.asp?prodid=YPS-300M&cat=21&path=1,21

This seems like an inexpensive route, and maybe down the road go video and at that time I may want something more than a back-up alarm.
I just want the basic protection it offers over doing a visual and something not requiring lots of time. Eats into my Zaino time...:D

But I really appreciate the info, it does help one make an informed decision.

·
Registered
125 Posts
MDXtrous = I bought it from Autosound Plus here in Ottawa, Ontario.
Dale = I don't have a hitch, but it does state in the manual that it will not work well with a hitch.

I did look into Poron and wanted to order one, however there is no distributor in Canada and I had half decent experience in on-line shopping from south of the boarder. ROSS is a good alternative and it works well for me.

Hope it helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I did more research and decided on the 99 dollar job. It's made by a company in Ottawa, Trilogix?
Now you will tell me they suck!
They are the ones that came out with the remote pager alarm system a couple of years ago.
It tells you, remotely of course, if your alarm went off and the method of intrusion, or if an impact set it off....with a time stamp etc...
Actually, I liked the one they had for $49 on sale. Because like the ROSS it has a rear window or ceiling indicator so you can see it whether you are looking at your rear view mirror or turn around.
But it only has one rear sensor. That's a major problem. Finding the best location would really be a compromise.
The one I'm getting has 2 sensors, and a wireless front indicator, audio too of course.
As soon as I get it I will hook it up temporarily with just the sensors mounted to see how well it works with a hitch, etc. Although they claim that has never been an issue.

IF all goes well I will photograph the installation. In the future I will likely get more sophisticated and go for more 'tronics in my X like a camera. After all, Holidays in December and my birthday in Jan. ... and I've been real good! But until then this will provide some peace of mind.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Dale,
Look fwd to seeing your installation. I would have shown you mine if I have a digital camera. I have been on and off shopping for one, but always ended up spending the money on the X. This summer we are planning a family trip to Vancouver, so my digital camera will have to wait (at least) until this fall. :(

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Poron Micro3 vs. Mini3 preference

I am seriously considering installing a Poron Car Reversing Aid on our MDX since my wife drives it 90% of the time, and once again she backed into something and scratched the rear bumper (for the second time in about 3 months) :3:.

For those currently using the two types of Poron Car Reversing Aids, what are the advantages and/or disadvantages for the one that you use (Micro3 - Voice vs. Mini3 - Digital Display).

I reviewed all related posts, and am leaning more toward the Micro3 - Voice unit. I called Poron (800-869-8866) and was told that this unit costs $179.99 (minus $50 discount if you mention that you found out about Poron through a user newsgroup such as acuramdx.org website) plus $10 for shipping. Is this a reasonable price? Has the Poron system been useful and reliable for those of you using it for a while?

Until I buy the Poron system and get it installed, I guess it is time to take a trip to the dealer for some more touch up paint :mad:.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
We're still happy w/our micro3 (voice) unit. I'd definitely recommend it. I find it useful when parallel parking and can't see how close the car (sedan/coupe) is behind the X. My wife also has a tendency to backup by feel into cement planter boxes & light posts @ the store. 1 save and it's paid for IMO. Not to mention the safety aspect. Tho we haven't almost run over any kids or bikes, it did save our garbage cans from injury :)

The price u mention (179 - 50) sounds about right. I ordered direct from Poron and had it in a day or two.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Thanks, Worm

I decided not to wait for any more bumper "scars" and "I didn't see it because the car is too big" excuses and just ordered the Micro3 - Voice unit directly from Poron. I should get it in couple days.

I remember reading in one of the previous posts that you used some kind of heat shrink insulation to protect the wires at connection points and that you have some extras. How can I get some of these from you? Please let me know ([email protected] or PM me). Thanks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts