Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to reset the clock using the setup button on my Navi. Once I press the setup button I get a screen that has a "Others" field that should take me to the "clock" option. However the "Others" button seems to locked for some reason (its backgound is grey rather than white). When I press the "Others" button I keep hearing beeps - does not let me move to the next screen. Can someone help me with this problem ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just a shot in the dark here...

I found out at the gas station that the history button wouldn't work until I "Okayed" the Nav Lawyer screen...I don't know why they would be related, but give that a try.

jnbsdad

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
JNB's right, I had the same thing happen to me when I went to daylight savings time last week. Gotta hit the OK, (after reading the disclaimer, of course...)

And why doesn't the X' just know when to go to DST?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah! Why?

GHOST is right. Why doesn't the X know when it's DST? My cellphone knows. My computer knows. If your car knows where you are on the planet, it should at least know what time it is.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Why time doesn't go auto to DST? B/C some places don't go to daylight savings (like Arizona, Hawaii, Indiana):rolleyes:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah, but...

my cellphone knows what time it is no matter what city it's in. Of course, it's communicating with ground-based towers, not an orbiting satellite. :p

·
Registered
80 Posts
Plus...

...the Nav knows what city you're in because you tell it your home city during setup. It shouldn't be hard for the computer to "do the math" on this one. Every Windows computer is able to reset its clock. Also, it's been a few weeks since I did the initial setup of my navi, but I seem to recall it asking about Daylight Saving Time. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
12 Posts
my cellphone knows what time it is no matter what city it's in. Of course, it's communicating with ground-based towers, not an orbiting satellite.
Cell phones receive the time from the local transmitter/service provider once the phone establishes contact with it and of course, assuming the SP supports such as feature. As Leader says, the nav system only receives data from satellites and therefore receives no information on time zones or daylight saving for any given locale. To do so would require precious EPROM memory or DVD disk space if the nav system itself were to store geographical time zone data. Remember also that your desktop computer (or laptop) is not able to automatically change time zones should you move it to another state.

Now if the nav was linked to the radio and the radio supported something like RDS (Radio Data System) and the local radio station transmitted RDS signals then the clock could automatically adjust to the local time zone as well as allow for DST. A car I had in the UK would switch from GMT/BST to Central European Time as soon as I left the Chunnel and headed off into France. Of course this would assume I was willing to listen to a local French FM radio station in the first place… Can’t quite remember if the clock would update if I was listening to a CD though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The clock doesn't automatically change for DST because some states don't change, such as Arizona and Hawaii. I am a computer tech and computers know to change the time because it has a setup feature that you chose your time zone and set it up to automatically set for DST. I think since the Navi is run off DVD that it only features the time zones that you live in. I know for Navi's have the GPS antenna and all but for some reason it seems that the DVD wasn't made to include to automatically adjust for DST. I may be wrong, but it is the only logical thing I could think is why. Ah well, guess we have to just manually do it ourselves. :)

-MDXRULES

·
Registered
48 Posts
CHANGE TO DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME

LOST THE RESPONSE TO THIS PROBLEM.
Trying to reset to DLST. Once time is set and exit out of set up with in a few seconds time reverts back to orginal time.

I think you have to use the two buttons on the key to make the new time setting stay.

Thank you in advance for your help in this matter..Skip

·
Registered
265 Posts
Since this thread got bumped, I'll add that my '08 has a setting to turn DST on or off. And the time is automatically adjusted for DST (or not if you have it turned off). So, it seems Acura added this feature at some point.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The change of dates for daylight saving time was a policy that passed sometime in 2005. It became effective in 2007. 2004 - 2005 models with navigation system would be programmed to move to DST under the old dates. 2006 models probably didn't have the update either since it would not be effective until 2007.

2001 - 2003 may not have had an auto-DST setting. I'm not sure.

There is some kind of software update for it. Acura's Nav website says the dealer can do a software update for you. I just never bothered to have it done. I have auto-DST turned off and I'm still setting my clock manually.

Acura's Nav website
https://store.alpine-usa.com/Acuradvdsales/naviorder.php

·
Registered
48 Posts
My Windows XP Pro computer on Service Pack 2 had to get a software update from Microsoft before it could tell the new dates for Daylight Savings Time.

I have the DST setting on my 05 Touring with Nav set to 'ON' but I still had to adjust the clock manually, using the Setup option discussed previously.

hope that helps

1 - 13 of 13 Posts