Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
When you change your oil, you can reset the MID with the steering wheel controls. (Maintenance menu, iirc).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's used to reset the reminder. I was referring to the computer that calculates when the next oil change is due. I heard people get 6K to 8K for one oil change. My 17 is 12K now and I've been getting only 3 5 to 4K per oil change.

·
Registered
596 Posts
You can ask the dealer, but they'll inquire as to what your driving style is. If you take lots of short trips with lots of stops and starts, and in very hot or very cold conditions, the oil life will be much shorter than if you drive consistent speeds in more moderate temperatures. I've had the wife's TL tell me it it was at 15 percent in as low as 4800 miles, or as high as 7500 miles - it all depended on how she drove the car during that particular period. Unfortunately it's not a linear mileage and/or time calculation....

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
That's used to reset the reminder. I was referring to the computer that calculates when the next oil change is due. I heard people get 6K to 8K for one oil change. My 17 is 12K now and I've been getting only 3 5 to 4K per oil change.
AFAIK, the algorithm is not configurable (by user or dealer).

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Unfortunately it's not a linear mileage and/or time calculation....
I would say "fortunately" not "unfortunately". Time/mileage are poor indicators for oil life unless your usage of the vehicle matches the conditions used to generate the time/mileage interval. The MID is still not perfect, but it's certainly better than "dumb" maintenance schedules. When a user reports their MID is recommending a low OCI, they may be annoyed, but I think their MID may be saving them.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I think the M.I.D. is also factoring in other maintenance items and it may shorten oil life to get you in the shop sooner so you will not be overdue for a 1-6 service if your driving habits are exactly the same. That is why you need to track your other 1-6 services if you change your own oil and reset the M.I.D. early on your own. You might be resetting another service and could be overdue when it pops up again 30K-60K down the road. I think the Acura techs have the ability to reset the individual 1-6 codes if you do extra/early services when it not displayed at 15%-0% on the M.I.D.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I think the M.I.D. is also factoring in other maintenance items and it may shorten oil life to get you in the shop sooner
My understanding is the opposite. The MID main codes (A/B -- oil changes) are what drive the interval. The subcodes (1-6) are displayed alongside the main code closest to their needed interval. They may be called for earlier or slightly later than you'd do them, otherwise.

For example, the first 6 service is due around 15k. If your MID is calculating a 4k OCI, then your third A/B would trigger the 6 subcode (approx 12k). However, if you're getting a 9k OCI, then your second A/B would trigger the 6 subcode (approx 18k).

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
It might just be the way I drive with a lot of hwy miles and 400,000 miles between my 3 Acura vehicles. They might have updated the M.I.D. calculations with the current Gen. I've never been over due for the mostly mileage or time based 1-6 service on the M.I.D.; but, done A/B services early sometimes with the same driving habits (with the 1-6 code showing). Getting us in the shop early to make money sooner sounds like Acura compared to delaying maintenance to squeeze a few extra miles out of the oil.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
It might just be the way I drive with a lot of hwy miles and 400,000 miles between my 3 Acura vehicles. They might have updated the M.I.D. calculations with the current Gen. I've never been over due for the mostly mileage or time based 1-6 service on the M.I.D.; but, done A/B services early sometimes with the same driving habits (with the 1-6 code showing). Getting us in the shop early to make money sooner sounds like Acura compared to delaying maintenance to squeeze a few extra miles out of the oil.
Although the dealers may like that, I believe Acura corporate wants the opposite... They want the reputation for low-maintenance and easy-to-maintain vehicles. I think that's a primary motivation behind the MID and it's "grouping" of services.

I'll have to dig for a copy... but I have seen a letter that was issued from Acura corporate to their dealer service departments admonishing them for recommended unnecessary services and over-selling.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
OP says it is a 2017, and has 12K on it which is normal driving miles for one year. Also the car is fairly new, I don't know if the first few oil changes are sooner because of the break-in period.
I have a 2017 and my MID indicated 15% at 7,909 miles. Extrapolating that out, it would be ~9,300 miles estimated oil life on the factory fill, for me.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I don't know if the first few oil changes are sooner because of the break-in period
My experience on my 2014 was that there was no difference in the calculation for the break-in versus normal. On mine it comes out to almost exactly 10,000 miles from 100% to 0% (I hit 0% once on a big trip) but I've done 4 coast t coast and back trips on it which is when most of the oil intervals have taken place - i.e. cruising at 75-85 on freeways for much of it.

OP - the intervals you're seeing seem to be short enough that if I was you I'd check on it with the dealer. How bad it is depends on exactly when you decide to have the oil changed - ex: when the MID hits 15%, or waiting until 5%, or perhaps doing it early at 20% or 30%. Given my calculation above based on lots of freeway miles you should be at closer to 8500 miles at 15%, which would make something like 4000 miles significantly shorter.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I would say "fortunately" not "unfortunately". Time/mileage are poor indicators for oil life unless your usage of the vehicle matches the conditions used to generate the time/mileage interval. The MID is still not perfect, but it's certainly better than "dumb" maintenance schedules. When a user reports their MID is recommending a low OCI, they may be annoyed, but I think their MID may be saving them.
I think I meant unfortunately based on what the OP was expecting - I agree that a OCI period bring in multiple factors is a good thing. Although, given I've been doing oil changes on my cars dating back to the mid 70's, it's really hard to get that 3k mile OCI interval out of my head. "Trust the maintenance minder" my wife says. Sigh..... :)

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I think I meant unfortunately based on what the OP was expecting - I agree that a OCI period bring in multiple factors is a good thing. Although, given I've been doing oil changes on my cars dating back to the mid 70's, it's really hard to get that 3k mile OCI interval out of my head. "Trust the maintenance minder" my wife says. Sigh..... :)
I hear ya. I just did the first oil change on my wife's Infiniti. 10k mile interval. I was a bit nervous, but I sent a sample off to a lab for analysis. Results came back and indicate there was still plenty of oil life left.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.