Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My decision is to buy one used tire that is 5 to 6 /32. Right now the one front tire is 5.5 and the rears are 5.

So I'll put the one I just bought in the front.

And then sell the car in a month or two. Not because of the tire but because of everything else.

·
Registered
495 Posts
just for my clarification: if someone elected to buy 2 new tires and put them on the same axle (meaning let's say both new tires are either on the front or rear axle) then you can still rotate as long as you first swap both rear tires with both front tires (moving rears to front and fronts to rear), then swap from R to L, that would work would it not? That way both new tires will always be on the same axle and wouldn't be staggered across different axles.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Yes you’re right of course. But with all the life experiences With high tech military gear, working in laboratories, and all the data I’ve poured through I just try to keep my home life simple. But yes you’re right. I buy name brand tires and rotate as needed, I usually rotate by feeling the tread. Since the MDX is front wheel biased it should wear like a front wheel drive car right?
It wears pretty evenly if you rotate every 5k ish miles.

Back in the day, I used to be able to ask my tire shop to just shave down my tires to whatever tread depth I needed, but I usually only did that if i had substantial meat still left on the remaining tires. Otherwise, I just looked for a used tire that was pretty close in depth [and capability].

·
Registered
456 Posts
The owners manual indicates that replacing all four tires is preferred, but if not then both tires, front or back. I take that to mean that the most important issue is to protect the front and rear differentials, and secondarily the front/back differential.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The owners manual indicates that replacing all four tires is preferred, but if not then both tires, front or back. I take that to mean that the most important issue is to protect the front and rear differentials, and secondarily the front/back differential.
Oh man. The manual. I forgot to look in there. Haha. Well, I've just bought one used tire to save 80 bucks.

·
Registered
456 Posts
For the 2016 the last owners manual I downloaded was version 3, which I think is the last. The CD included with the car is probably not current. When I bought the MDX I ordered the (free) printed manual, which was almost an inch thick, and again is not the current version. I'm pretty happy that I asked for the free manual - trying to look something up on my phone would be a real PITA.

·
Registered
495 Posts
For the 2016 the last owners manual I downloaded was version 3, which I think is the last. The CD included with the car is probably not current. When I bought the MDX I ordered the (free) printed manual, which was almost an inch thick, and again is not the current version. I'm pretty happy that I asked for the free manual - trying to look something up on my phone would be a real PITA.
Funny, they no longer offer the free printed manual, with the 2019 I purchased they wanted to charge me a fee. I declined

·
Registered
12 Posts
It’s freely downloadable as a searchable PDF. Not difficult at all :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
456 Posts
What is difficult is reading the manual on a 5" mobile phone screen, not getting the pdf manual. I do like referring to the pdf on my laptop, but in the car I am very happy to have a proper printed manual.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
How many miles is it acceptable to drive on a spare? I remember getting a flat on an awd sedan on the turnpike. Drove some 300 miles before replacing.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If it is a full-size spare there really is no limit, although you would want to keep it down if the wear was much different. If you have a spacesaver then as little as possible: that is going to be really hard on the differential, and not particularly safe for braking or on wet roads. I got rid of mine and put in a full size spare - it isn't that hard or expensive if you are willing to buy a used OEM rim and a used OEM tire.

·
Registered
644 Posts
the problem isn't the tires, it is the constant spin in the differential and transfer case. That wears things excessively.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
it is the constant spin in the differential and transfer case. That wears things excessively.
But really, differentials were designed for this - it's why it's called a 'differential'. If it was a limited slip differential there'd be some wear on the clutch packs and if it was a locking differential it'd be potential wear on the tires themselves (due to the diff being locked) but I assume the MDX has open differentials on the axles and it already applies torque bias via the transfer case front/rear.

I'm not sure there's really much to be concerned about regarding excessive diff or transfer case wear due to any differences in the diameter of the tires and especially relatively minor differences.

But I'm not an expert or even that informed as to how the diffs/transfer case are designed on the MDX and the real world impact of something like the tire diameter difference on wear of them, if any.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yes, you and the rest of us aren't automotive engineers (although I am an engineer of a different type). You are expressing an opinion, which you clearly have not researched for the facts. I don't mean to be rude, but it seems to me the reason the US is in such a mess right now is that so many value their opinions more than facts and logic.

Acura says to replace all 4 tires, or at least 2 at a time,and we should trust that there is a good reason, don't you think? And the explanations I have read point to the differentials, which are not nearly as simple as the old days. And differentials are designed for only cornering use and front/back distribution, not having to constantly (full time) correct for tire sizes. I admit that my first take on this was that it must be BS by the tire companies, but there is just too much out there, including by the manufacturers of AWD vehicles, to write this off as an old wives tale. Just do a search for "AWD replace 4 tires" and you will find many supporting articles. Here is just one: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=18

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I don't mean to be rude, but it seems to me the reason the US is in such a mess right now is that so many value their opinions more than facts and logic.
It's always nice to not be rude and I didn't realize I was personally responsible for what you perceive as the US being in a mess - a fairly ridiculous statement on your part and certainly rude. I put explicit disclaimers in my post stating that I'm not an expert or even knowledgeable about the MDX design in this area. I'm also an engineer although not an automotive/mechanical one.

I just posted something to consider from a perspective of some logic yet an uninformed perspective.

I'd follow what the manual states in this area although one major reason for replacing 2 rather than just one is to make sure they'll handle in an equivalent manner and not have one grip significantly more than the other, which could cause a loss of control. Unless you know for certain why the directive is in the MDX manual your statement doesn't have any more validity than mine on the surface of it. I'm not trying to be rude here - just stating that I don't think either you or I are experts in this area, especially for the specifics to the MDX. It'd be nice if they stated the reason for the directive in the manual but regardless, if the directive is there it s/b followed no matter the reason for them putting it in there.

We have at least some agreement here I think.

The manual does state -
It is best to replace all four tires at the same time. If that isn’t possible, replace the front or rear tires in pairs.

Something else from the manual -
The LKAS may not work properly under the following conditions:
• Your tires are over or under inflated.
• Your tires or wheels are of varied size or construction.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Saying you don't know the reasoning when a quick web search will confirm the reasoning is what, exactly? I gave a single link to a Tire Rack article, but there are many other reputable sources which I also read - no point in overloading the links - that also refer to accelerated wear to the differentials. I certainly would agree that it is not at all intuitive that it would be a problem, but I have also learned that there are many cases of non-intuitive, and even counter-intuitive, conclusions. Thus we should defer to the engineers at the auto companies that are telling us this result. I have also read that mismatched tires can detrimentally affect the operation of the AWD system, and perhaps that is even more important for safety than the wear issue. I hadn't read about LKAS issues - it doesn't apply to my MDX (no LKAS), which is not obvious to me, but again intuition is a poor substitute for the engineering analysis.

No, I am not blaming you for the US problems. What I am saying, more as an aside, is that many of our countrymen are unable to make decisions based on science, data, and logic because they value opinions and beliefs over them, and that is having an incredibly damaging affect. Perhaps I am tilting at windmills, but when someone counters with opinion a position that is based on knowledgeable sources I feel it needs to be called out. OTOH I do appreciate a healthy dose of skepticism, and I was skeptical about this in the beginning as well. I still do not find it intuitive - but the information is pretty overwhelming. I would certainly be interested in reading contrary information from good sources if it existed.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts